Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lower back position on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 06:23 AM
Flame73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May I ask, what's your lower back position on your bike? Is it concave or convex?
I'm asking because if it concave, then I seat on my soft tissue and it's hurt.
But If it's convex, then I feel preasure on my lower back and the lower back is hurt.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Old 02-24-21, 07:05 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Straight if possible. Try to rotate forward with your pelvis/hips, not your back.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-24-21, 08:44 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts

Taken this summer; I may have moved the saddle a couple of milimetres rearward or such (I can't remember), but that's basically it.

Here's a recent one:

​​​​​​Saddle is angled downwards by about 8 deg and that keeps my dangly bits happy when in the drops and it's really very comfortable.

Last edited by Branko D; 02-24-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 09:07 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It should be straight, if your back is curved, then you're not bending enough at your hips (or bending too much I guess if it's concave, but that's not usually the problem for most people, usually they bow their back out instead of keeping it straight). If your lower back is hurting, then it probably means you need to strengthen your core in order to be able to hold a proper position.
Old 02-24-21, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you are having your soft tissues smashed when you lean your pelvis forward, then something ain't right with your saddle. Might be it's angle, might have something to do with your reach to the bars which can be several things, including the wrong size bike.

Might just be you have the wrong saddle for you. Too much cut out can be just as bad for some as too little cut out. Some people don't need any.

As for my back, I try to keep it straight. But I don't know that I even have a picture that shows me what my actual position of it is. It's just all in my head! <grin>
Old 02-24-21, 12:00 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've never read of a concave back. Some people have a relatively flat back on the bike, but most don't. Lance Armstrong's back was curved. I'm sure mine is too. I don't think you can choose. I use a 10cm saddle to bar drop, which is plenty for a 73cm saddle height. I never have any back issues and I'm 67 years old. If I have problems it's upper back/shoulder pain in the early season, caused by not being used to holding my head up for 3 hours or more. Neck strengthening exercises will fix that.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-24-21, 02:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I've never read of a concave back.
I see concave (lordotic) backs, hunched shoulders, and locked elbows on riders, who are trying to sit upright on road bikes, maybe because they lack the hip strength to cantilever and need to support all their weight on their arms. Tends to go with a choppy, up-and-down pedal stroke.
Old 02-24-21, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
I try to ride with a straight back. I can tell when I haven't been because my neck starts to hurt from having to bend farther to keep my head upright.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-24-21, 07:27 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Many long distance cyclists ride with gently rounded backs with a bit higher handlebars. Here is Mark Beaumont on his around the world in 80 days record ride. Even on aero bars he has a comfortable, non-extreme position. Having handlebars at a height that allow you to keep your elbows bent when riding on the hoods is important. Saddle set-back and angle is also important to help find comfortable position. I found this blog post by the amazing frame builder David Kirk to be helpful. Riding tip | Kirk Frameworks

Likes For David in Maine:
Old 02-25-21, 01:31 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
With aerobars you want the handlebars a bit higher than you would without them to achieve the same torso angle. Looking at the angle Mark's body actually makes, it's pretty similar to what most bike racers would be without aerobars on more "slammed" setups.

As for slightly curved back, you can't tell if yours is like that without someone photographing you "in the moment" or recording yourself on a trainer. My back doesn't feel curved, but when someone takes a picture of me, it invariably is.

​​​​​​
Old 03-01-21, 09:18 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
from my experience, not necessarily limited to bike riding, a curved back leads to intervertebral discs compression especially in the lumbar area which after a certain time always ends up in low back pain. When bending, I make sure to keep my back straight, but pelvis needs to be flexible, there are stretching exercises for that. If that position causes uncomfortable feelings on soft tissues or other parts of the body, it could be the saddle form or height, the bike size or geometry, etc.