Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

50 Miles on the Silver Comet Trail

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 07:51 AM
RomeRider
Outside

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A beautiful day on Saturday for a ride on the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia connecting to the Chiefl Ladiga Trail in Alabama. My friend Richard, my son Ethan and I parked at the Cedartown Depot and rode out to Piedmont, Alabama and back. It was about 59 and sunny. This was Ethan's longest ride by far. The trail was littered with a lot of pine straw mostly in Georgia. We met riders of all different types and skills along the way. We got to smell fresh manure as a farmer spread it on an adjacent field.

Ethan is a pretty new rider and he began to lag behind on the way out so I was a little concerned about the trip back. There is a long, gradual uphill nearly until the Georgia line. He is really into basketball and has been collecting basketball cards recently so I got the idea of offering him 2 packs of cards if he drafted Richard closely until the Georgia border. He perked up a bit. Then we were off. Richard led the way and Ethan stuck right to his wheel for the 14 miles to the border. I was psyched. We still had 10 miles to go to get back to the van though so I repeated my offer for 2 more packs. He was clearly getting kind of tired, but that was enough to motivate him some more. Richard pulled us all back to the van in a neat little peloton.

I'm very proud of Ethan. He's 14 and has only a couple hundred miles on a road bike now. I asked him later that evening what he learned from that experience regarding how the cards helped. He said: "I learned that I need a goal". Right on target. Now we need to find goals for him that don't revolve around my buying stuff for him.

I'd like to add pics, but it says my photo is too large. Does anyone know how to change the format so I can add them?
Old 03-08-10, 09:40 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28617 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Sounds like a nice day.

Some photo sharing sites have a feature which automatically reduces the size of your pictures to fit a forum.
Old 03-08-10, 10:14 AM
RomeRider
Outside

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sure was. I think we'll do around 30 this weekend. Just a loop from our house. We'll get in a few hills this time.