Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 06:29 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
No accounting most likely of the number who signed up and paid but were not able to attend for whatever reason(s).

like those gravity storms some endured and adjusted priorities.
guilty as charged!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-19-23, 06:46 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
My number was 293. I picked it up the morning of the ride. Are the numbers pre-assigned or sequential on sign in?

If it's sequential as you sign in, then I would estimate 500 , but that seems high unless the lion's share did the lighthouse? We rode basically alone the entire ride. I did see a 500 something card at the swap now that I think about it.

Still had a great time! We are already planning our bikes for next year. We have done every ride except the first one.
Erzulis, see my post above, your estimate and recollection was pretty accurate!

IIRC, I think the numbers were assigned because when we got packets in the past, they were pre-packed with rider numbers, route stop stamp card, twine, and some written info, and handed directly to us, only swag was given out separately. That would also explain why I had a low number #180 in 2022 and #136 this year which Robert Volz used in my absence, I registered as early as possible both times. OTOH, Robert used my number and his wife got #135 so maybe he got to registration early and they both got sequential numbers? That would explain that occurrence.
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

2022 Eroica California event, my jersey and numbers

2019 Eroica California Jersey number and finish line Linn’s preserves, yum!

In the past when there were on site signups, they did have late numbers to give out. IIRC, Chuck Schmidt came up in 2018 and signed in and he either had a number in the 990’s or a hand written number over 1000!

2018 Eroica California morning start - Chuck Schmidt and his early 30’s bike, freewheel blew up though.

Charles Andrews and wife, tandem

Me, BIL Ben Ngan, friend at Cass Winery

Some of the Pasadena VeloRetro crew

Post ride BBQ at the Paso Robles Fairgrounds, the BBQ was tasty!

Olea Farms Olive Oil Fries, sourdough bread

Betcha can’t eat just one (serving)!

Last edited by mech986; 09-19-23 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-19-23, 06:57 PM
mech986 

Robert and his wife on their tandem with my #136 and her #135

Old 09-19-23, 07:58 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
I was wondering about the number of participants too. My guestimate was no more than 200 vintage and no more than 100 Nova. If you look at my numbers below that dates are not correct. The vintage ride was supposed to be held on 9/17 and Nova was on the 16th. Not sure if this the case of reuse left over or misprint. How many events were held in September? My wife was ballot stuffing (correction envelop marking) and they told her to stop at 300. She also told me that they pulled some high numbers to hand out to walk-ins. That also is kind going against our understanding that we must preregister for insurance purposes.
I can for sure say that it is not 500 for both days.

Old 09-19-23, 08:22 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
I was wondering about the number of participants too. My guestimate was no more than 200 vintage and no more than 100 Nova. If you look at my numbers below that dates are not correct. The vintage ride was supposed to be held on 9/17 and Nova was on the 16th. Not sure if this the case of reuse left over or misprint. How many events were held in September? My wife was ballot stuffing (correction envelop marking) and they told her to stop at 300. She also told me that they pulled some high numbers to hand out to walk-ins. That also is kind going against our understanding that we must preregister for insurance purposes.
I can for sure say that it is not 500 for both days.

Thank you for the details and correction, I’ve edited my post above. I suspect the wrong dates were a miscommunication and misprint, not caught until delivered, another detail to make sure gets addressed. It’s these little thing that erode confidence. Unsure if printed locally or not, but should be so this could be addressed quickly and ahead of time.

As for the numbers, it would agree with some
of the photos I’ve seen so far, looked sparse compared to previous events. Hopefully we get some feedback from the organizers as to how many registered and how many actually came or at least used registrations.

besides the finishing medal, was anything else included in the packet or swag? Poster this year?
Likes For mech986:
Old 09-19-23, 08:51 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by mech986
Thank you for the details and correction, I’ve edited my post above. I suspect the wrong dates were a miscommunication and misprint, not caught until delivered, another detail to make sure gets addressed. It’s these little thing that erode confidence. Unsure if printed locally or not, but should be so this could be addressed quickly and ahead of time.

As for the numbers, it would agree with some
of the photos I’ve seen so far, looked sparse compared to previous events. Hopefully we get some feedback from the organizers as to how many registered and how many actually came or at least used registrations.

besides the finishing medal, was anything else included in the packet or swag? Poster this year?
poster, coffee, pin and a bottle of olive oil.

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 09-19-23 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 09-20-23, 07:03 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
In previous years the number coincided with the date you signed up . If you signed up early on , you had a low number . This year it seems the numbers were assigned as you picked up the bags. Not a big deal , imho. I cannot complain as I have almost always taken advantage of the early bird deals . I think only one year that I paid the full price. To me it is a good value and this year , from what I have heard , the fare was stepped up a bit. The attendance seemed low by the pictures that have been posted and there could be more than one reason for that . Some have been upset about the change to Cambria and mis steps by the organizers, others , like me , LIFE! I am hoping for next year as I have always been glad I went and really upset that life (and injury) got in the way , preventing my attendance this year. It seems that those who were there had a great time and maybe next year we will be able to show up in greater force.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-20-23, 08:24 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I signed/paid up in October early bird. My oldest brother signed up about 2 weeks later.

We get our numbers at sign in (7ish). We were on separate name sheets, and he handed my brother #292, and then marked my name off and handed me #293. I recall that there were maybe 8-10 or so "number packets" left in the box. The #500 series were probably handed out to "day of" registrations. I recall a #501 and a #509 (my memory for numbers is really good, everything actually important, not so much)

I am now 99.9% convinced that numbers were sequential, and that puts attendance at low 300's.

As I posted earlier, we did it basically alone. A few times we thought we had hit a wrong turn, as there were zero cyclists ahead or behind us for extended periods of time.

ETA- Just checked my packet. The envelope is sterile. There are no external indications of name/number. I recall that he opened envelope, and peeked inside before handing it over, obviously to double check that it followed numerical sequence.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 09-20-23 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-20-23, 09:00 AM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I signed/paid up in October early bird. My oldest brother signed up about 2 weeks later.

We get our numbers at sign in (7ish). We were on separate name sheets, and he handed my brother #292, and then marked my name off and handed me #293. I recall that there were maybe 8-10 or so "number packets" left in the box. The #500 series were probably handed out to "day of" registrations. I recall a #501 and a #509 (my memory for numbers is really good, everything actually important, not so much)

I am now 99.9% convinced that numbers were sequential, and that puts attendance at low 300's.

As I posted earlier, we did it basically alone. A few times we thought we had hit a wrong turn, as there were zero cyclists ahead or behind us for extended periods of time.

ETA- Just checked my packet. The envelope is sterile. There are no external indications of name/number. I recall that he opened envelope, and peeked inside before handing it over, obviously to double check that it followed numerical sequence.
Picture worth a thousand words - See high participation in the photo Hardly any bicycle tire tracks to speak of.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 09-20-23, 09:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
A street sweeper must have passed through.

if to continue, a major decision would be the season the event takes place.
‘the shift from Spring to September was an understandable disruption given the pandemic and organizational factors.
if moved back to Spring, 7? Months away.
alternatively, 19 months to the Spring in 2025.
7 months is pretty urgent.
19 months has its own problems but organizing the event is much easier.
long lead marketing too.

always next Fall, but as noted a near conflict with Italy.
Old 09-20-23, 10:05 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
we got there mid Saturday. We offered the names, "not mine" and mine."

"Not Mine" was a early bird at the early bird price.
"Mine" was a top dollar, right before the reg closed for good.

Packets 135 and 136 were handed to us.

Oddly enough, there was a cute "van-life" camping couple parked next to us. They did the heroic ride on sat and swapped out to old Bianchis for Sunday. They had high 200s.

So who knows.???
Old 09-21-23, 02:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Me: Understood, it is a problem in certain parts of the town. Where I stayed the last few years just east of Moonstone beach there was Zero cell signal so had to use the house wifi for calls. Is that Andy Kaylor (AndyK)?

Robert: Yes.
I think he must have misunderstood your question. I didn't make it this year. From the pictures, I think it was Andy Speier (who is from Olympia) who he saw there. I don't think that Andy is on this forum, at least if he is I haven't matched him to his user name.
Old 09-21-23, 11:17 PM
dalfield

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Eroica 2023

Originally Posted by Classtime
11 months of readying our heart and soul Eroica to ride the gears our bikes were born with.
Greetings, El Jefe! I regret not being able to ride with you during the Heroic Ride of Eroica CA 2023. I started just after the main group, around 6:40 AM. I figured I would be able to re-group with everyone at the rest stop in Cayucos. I found out after arriving in Cayucos that the rest stop there was not on the 2023 route. I had a flat in the first gravel section after that and there was no chance of catching up. I hope you had a great ride! I thoroughly enjoyed it and rode the same bike as last year (1950's Olmo with wooden rims). You should consider participating in the "Hardman" 100 mile event in Anaheim on December 9. That is a course that will test your mettle--for sure. I am preparing for it now. Take care and be safe out there on the roads.
Old 09-22-23, 06:07 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Hey @dalfield, that looks like a fun course. I might be in the midst of disabusing myself of an Achilles tendon issue but I penciled in the event. Thinking of “crashing” the Hardman with a C&V ride?
Old 09-22-23, 10:39 AM
dalfield

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hardman

Originally Posted by Classtime
Hey @dalfield, that looks like a fun course. I might be in the midst of disabusing myself of an Achilles tendon issue but I penciled in the event. Thinking of “crashing” the Hardman with a C&V ride?
It's a tough course that starts off at a fast pace. The off road sections can be "technical" and best suited to a mountain or "gravel bike". I thought of "crashing" the Hardman as well with a C&V bike because, in the spirit of the great Sean Kelly, the original Hardman, it's not truly a "Hardman" event if not accomplished on a C&V. However, in the interest of finishing this competitive event with the field, a more modern steed might assist the goal of getting to the finish line. One can pull out of clipless pedals faster than cleated shoes locked under a toe strap and there are plenty of rutted sections to get caught up in and fall. If I was to use a vintage bike, it would be my 1984 Schwinn Peloton which was modified to accommodate a triple I used a 1996 Cannondale road bike with a 39-28 low gear last year. That has a stiff frame with criterium geometry so the downhills were punishing. Your extensive training on the Centurion with the 42-24 will allow you to cruise past the gravel bike riders that climb in those ridiculously low "comfort gears". There is a 100 PAX limit for the male, road bike category. Knowing your penchant for difficult rides, I am confident you will feel challenged if you decide to participate in this event. With a December date this year, the weather should be cooler than last year. May your Achilles tendon heal well. Hope to see you there.
Likes For dalfield:
Old 09-22-23, 11:31 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think he must have misunderstood your question. I didn't make it this year. From the pictures, I think it was Andy Speier (who is from Olympia) who he saw there. I don't think that Andy is on this forum, at least if he is I haven't matched him to his user name.

I was trying to ride and text at the same time. I was confirming that there was no cell service on the beach front. and in 90% of Cambria.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 09-22-23, 03:12 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I was trying to ride and text at the same time. I was confirming that there was no cell service on the beach front. and in 90% of Cambria.

Sorry for any confusion.
You talked to Andy S. and I together at Cino, so I know you can tell us apart. On the road, he's the one passing you and I'm the one you're passing.
Old 09-23-23, 06:46 AM
mech986 

So on the medium and long routes:

did they give you a route and stops map or cue sheet?

1) was there a food and water stop at the Cayucos Pier as in previous Cambria based events? If not, that’s a shame, was well stocked by the Sea Shanty and Cayucos Chamber of commerce.

2) was there a water stop at Santa Rita Summit?

3) was there a food, water, restrooms and mechanical stop at Halter Ranch?

4) how was the water stop at Cypress Mountain summit?

5) for the short route riders, where was the turn around, and how was the Lighthouse explained? Did you have a stop at all?
Likes For mech986:
Old 09-23-23, 09:17 AM
tmnguuyen 

So on the medium and long routes:

did they give you a route and stops map or cue sheet?
No route sheet or stamp book on Nova. Stamp book on Vintage ride on Sunday not sure about route sheet since I did the short route on Sunday.

1) was there a food and water stop at the Cayucos Pier as in previous Cambria based events? If not, that’s a shame, was well stocked by the Sea Shanty and Cayucos Chamber of commerce.
No stop at Cayucos pier.

2) was there a water stop at Santa Rita Summit?
First rest/water stop at top of Santa Rita climb, 28 miles in, banana, cut ut apples and water. No rest room. Good thing the weather was cool otherwise water would have been an issue that late into the ride.

3) was there a food, water, restrooms and mechanical stop at Halter Ranch?
No Halter Ranch. I think they put a food truck near by as the lunch stop for the medium ride. Long riders got to visit Olea farm and French fries, lunch boxes at the Templeton.

4) how was the water stop at Cypress Mountain summit?
Water stop at Cypress was manned by Wally's Bicycle Works. Nice welcome by Wally and another volunteer with cow bell.

5) for the short route riders, where was the turn around, and how was the Lighthouse explained? Did you have a stop at all?
Turn around point was supposed to be the light house. The instructions were not clear and everyone overshot the light house by 1 mile and was told to turn around. The rest stop/food stop for the short route is the overflow parking lot of the Elephant Seal viewing area.
See answers above
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 10-18-23, 01:47 PM
Larry T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wtf?

I believe Wes had disengaged with Eroica California organizational duties since 2018. I was under the impression he later moved to Japan to care for an elderly relative. I don't know if he still lives in Paso Robles/Atascadero area or retains his farm and horses. I do hope he's at the 2023 event, he's a good guy.

Darn good idea and glad you checked and also let us know. Its quite possible emails can be missed or mis-spam filtered. Hope everyone who did go in 2020 or 2022 could take this early offer.

Yes, that's quite a conundrum. My sense is they do seem to be "committed" to trying to hold the event, and I'm happy they decided to move it to September to give them ample time to get prepared, organized, and hopefully establish a delegated US-based group to help with logistics and preparations. There have been rumors of folks (like me) wanting to be involved and helping if allowed, accepted, and able by the Italian organizers. We'll see. Plus with this much time, I think plenty of registrations will come in, both Nova (no conflict with Belgian Waffle Ride in San Marcos) and Classic, plus maybe a bunch more time for the pandemic to ease off and allow more domestic and international folks to come.

I'd be willing to spot you half of the super early bird fee if that makes it easier. You could always buy me lunch or something at the swap meet if the event happens!

Bart
Can anyone tell me what went on at Eroica CA 2023? I know someone who paid for sales space there and they told me there was nobody there. How many showed up to ride? I find this very depressing as events here in Italy are almost every weekend and do very well. I know a few of the promoters here in Italy and find it very sad that Eroica CA seems to be circling the drain.
Old 10-19-23, 10:52 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
not accurate

Originally Posted by Larry T
Can anyone tell me what went on at Eroica CA 2023? I know someone who paid for sales space there and they told me there was nobody there. How many showed up to ride? I find this very depressing as events here in Italy are almost every weekend and do very well. I know a few of the promoters here in Italy and find it very sad that Eroica CA seems to be circling the drain.
Depends what that person meant by "no-one was there".. my wife and I were there for 4 days and saw vendors, ans talked to quite a few folks... so "no-one" was inaccurate, if the real questions is what was the attendance like, i would say it was down from last year. you can read the post and it will give you a feel for the event.
It was a great event...
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 10-19-23, 12:22 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry T
It was a bit thin IMO, actually ok, no chaos or drama, probably not sustainable as was.

I'll say it again (I think), Italy and or most of Europe vs Cal/USA is apples and oranges, we do not have it in our DNA, they cycle, race, ride and play soccer from very early on for well over a Century.

We watch "Pro" mega profit "sports" as a nation on tv while sitting on our duffs and seeing how much beer we can drink.

The other big factor is the all in ethos they have, all in and all hands on deck, towns, townspeople, businesses, local and most other officials treat it as the civic duty it is in a big picture view.

We will never get there but hopefully we can hang onto this one thing which is far better than nothing at all.
Old 10-19-23, 08:34 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
I thought the first few years that Wes was running Eroica CA were quite successful. As merziac points out, it is a different culture here and I don't know that it will ever be as big as it is in Italy. But between some serious missteps by the organizers, the pandemic, and moving date to the fall, it's no wonder that it's struggling to find its footing again. I personally know more than a few riders who won't go back after bad experiences (no water and food) a few years back, and those guys were exactly who the event should be targeting.

I'll wait a few years to pass judgement. Right now I love the idea of Eroica CA but I'd almost rather ride the course with a small group of friends.

That said, the biggest issue for me is that I moved out of the area. If I still lived there, I probably would have gone this year to see if they were getting back towards their original success.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 10-20-23, 09:27 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
It was a bit thin IMO, actually ok, no chaos or drama, probably not sustainable as was.

I'll say it again (I think), Italy and or most of Europe vs Cal/USA is apples and oranges, we do not have it in our DNA, they cycle, race, ride and play soccer from very early on for well over a Century.

We watch "Pro" mega profit "sports" as a nation on tv while sitting on our duffs and seeing how much beer we can drink.

The other big factor is the all in ethos they have, all in and all hands on deck, towns, townspeople, businesses, local and most other officials treat it as the civic duty it is in a big picture view.

We will never get there but hopefully we can hang onto this one thing which is far better than nothing at all.
You are smerziac You really cannot compare the two events. One is an event that attracts 10K of participants and has 25+ years of history. The other is a 500 or so niche event.

Case in point - Gaiole this year had TV coverage in Italy on RAI 3. Not sure any major US network is vying for Cambria.
Old 10-20-23, 09:39 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
You are smerziac You really cannot compare the two events. One is an event that attracts 10K of participants and has 25+ years of history. The other is a 500 or so niche event.

Case in point - Gaiole this year had TV coverage in Italy on RAI 3. Not sure any major US network is vying for Cambria.
Yes you can as I did, that was exactly my point, like I said, apples and oranges, we will never have the real thing but hopefully get to keep our small version, whatever that is.
Likes For merziac: