Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fuji Experts Needed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fuji Experts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 08:01 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Fuji Experts Needed

Desperately need help. I'm trying to build a 2015 Fuji Gran Fondo for a friend. He has all of the requisite Ultegra components (mechanical not Di2) but the frame he purchased does not have cable stops for the shift cables to run through the downtube. He purchased the frame off of ebay and it arrived with plugs in the downtube holes where the cables inter the frame and no under bottom bracket cable guide. I have searched the interwebs as best as I can for these items and have had no luck. I have called the only Fuji dealer in North Georgia with no luck.

Please help- Do you have any experience with installing cables in the Gran Fondo? Do you know of a a really good Fuji dealer I can reach out to for help?

I need: Downtube cable stops to fit the two @6mm holes in the downtube and the under bottom bracket cable guide.
Old 08-03-21, 09:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don't bother trying to find a bike shop that has them, go straight to Fuji. They are owned by ASI in Philadelphia.
Fuji bikes
Old 08-04-21, 05:39 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I know what you’re looking for as I ripped the out of the 2014 model of the same frame two years ago when I put DI2 on. I want to say it was made by jagwire but I can’t find it on their site for the life of me. It’s a one piece cable liner with the cable stop/opening on one end, it threads in by the headtube and you need to fish the liner out the bottom holes.

For the cable guide on the bottom bracket, I wish I could help but mine was cracked so I tossed it when I took it off.

Does the frame still have the cable stop for the rear derailleur? Also does it still have the aluminum guide from the bottom bracket going up thru the chainstay for the front derailleur? If it doesn’t have the aluminum guide (because someone drilled it out for DI2 like I did) then you can fix it by routing some regular housing thru there but may need to open the hole in the frame up.
Old 08-04-21, 07:27 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Originally Posted by silverado8405
Does the frame still have the cable stop for the rear derailleur?

Yes, It's intact.

Also does it still have the aluminum guide from the bottom bracket going up thru the chainstay for the front derailleur? If it doesn’t have the aluminum guide (because someone drilled it out for DI2 like I did) then you can fix it by routing some regular housing thru there but may need to open the hole in the frame up.
There is a threaded nut insert on the bottom of the BB to receive the screw for the cable guide and that's it. I don't recall any aluminum guide, just two small holes that look like they are for Di2 wires. I'll take a closer look at it this evening. The frame I'm working on has the holes in the upper portion of the downtube, not the headtube and they are recessed front facing perfect circles that look like they would receive something like a Jagwire CHA056 but larger. The hole is at least 6mm diameter. There are two exit holes at the bottom of the down tube in front of the BB so the cables can run onto the cable guide (again, I'm basing this on 15 years of building up new bikes so I'm only guessing based on experience).

Likes For Bikedud:
Old 08-04-21, 08:45 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Don't bother trying to find a bike shop that has them, go straight to Fuji. They are owned by ASI in Philadelphia.
Fuji bikes
I reached out to consumersupport@Fujibikes.com and received the following reply:

Thanks for reaching out to Fuji Bikes. While we don't offer direct to consumer sales, any local bike shop can reach out to our team to get a replacement special ordered on your behalf. The part numbers that they'll need are ABJ0000193 (downtube housing stop) and KYA0000085 (BB cable guide). It sounds like you may also need FP15000011, which is a rear drop out cable stopper. Certainly hope this information helps!

There are only two Fuji dealers in Georgia and I have reached out to both with no luck as yet. Thus I'm looking for any advice on a good Fuji dealer to contact.
Old 08-04-21, 09:05 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You missed the part that says "ANY local bike shop". Doesn't have to be a Fuji dealer.
Old 08-04-21, 09:18 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

True, but 15 years in the business tells me that my best bet is a Fuji dealer, and I really would like to communicate with someone who perhaps has experience building Gran Fondos in case I run into other difficulties. Trust me, I'll do whatever I need to do to get the job done.
Old 08-04-21, 05:18 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Fuji bikes
Just a minor point, but worth noting...ASI (later to be called ASE) had a bankruptcy in 2018, after the restructuring, a new corporation called BikeCo became the parent company of the ASI (ASE) bike brands, including Fuji.
Old 08-05-21, 12:34 PM
silverado8405

Originally Posted by Bikedud
There is a threaded nut insert on the bottom of the BB to receive the screw for the cable guide and that's it. I don't recall any aluminum guide, just two small holes that look like they are for Di2 wires. I'll take a closer look at it this evening. The frame I'm working on has the holes in the upper portion of the downtube, not the headtube and they are recessed front facing perfect circles that look like they would receive something like a Jagwire CHA056 but larger. The hole is at least 6mm diameter. There are two exit holes at the bottom of the down tube in front of the BB so the cables can run onto the cable guide (again, I'm basing this on 15 years of building up new bikes so I'm only guessing based on experience).

Yeah I should have been more specific and said downtube instead of near the head tube. It takes something just like you’ve got pictured but there’s a cable liner with it that’s flanged so it doesn’t fall out the bottom if I remember correctly. Then that liner comes out the two holes at the bottom bracket you’ve mentioned and into the cable guide.

if you’ve got a guide of sorts by the bottom bracket you’ll be fine. You probably can’t tell it’s an aluminum guide as it’s molded into the frame, I didn’t know it was until I drilled it out and had to fish it out of the bike when it broke loose.
Old 08-10-21, 08:32 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Update for anyone who might be interested

Fuji sent the wrong parts to the shop. I specifically told them that the frame was a 2015 Gran Fondo, but they sent stops and a cable guide for a newer frame. Fuji requested that I send pictures of the holes in the frame for cable routing and the underside of the bottom bracket. I sent several pictures including the attached photo with all the alpha-numeric identification information and a snippet of Fuji's own website archive page showing the 2015 Gran Fondo. Hopefully they can figure it out. We'll see.

Old 08-12-21, 07:02 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
Fuji sent the wrong parts to the shop. I specifically told them that the frame was a 2015 Gran Fondo, but they sent stops and a cable guide for a newer frame. Fuji requested that I send pictures of the holes in the frame for cable routing and the underside of the bottom bracket. I sent several pictures including the attached photo with all the alpha-numeric identification information and a snippet of Fuji's own website archive page showing the 2015 Gran Fondo. Hopefully they can figure it out. We'll see.

The threaded hole is for the plastic "under-the-bottom bracket" double cable guide. These are pretty generic. Your local shop should have a couple spares. See if any of them fit, and be sure the screw that holds it in place doesn't interfere with the plastic bottom bracket insert. If they are angled toward where the cable guide is supposed to sit, the two holes at the bottom of the photo are where the shift cables exit the down tube. Or if they're in the direction of the chain stays , they're entry holes for the other end of the cables. You have to examine how the cables go into the down tube, and what kind of ferrule stops the housings. Please submit photos of the entry holes and we might be able to help more. While you're taking pictures, zoom out of this one a bit so we can all see the orientation of the entry and exit holes. This would be easier with the bike in the stand in front of me.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 08-12-21 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 08:33 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the manner in which the cables enter and exit the downtube and the attachment of the BB cable guide. I have several Shimano sp-18 cable guides, but they're too small. Don't know if an sp-18 will work or not. Got the worst possible news yesterday. Fuji (support) says both the cable stops and the cable guide are no longer available. I'll post a pic of the downtube holes.
Old 08-12-21, 08:35 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Old 08-12-21, 08:37 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Perfect circle at least 6mm diameter.
Old 08-12-21, 08:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://framebuildersupply.com/colle...justers-1-pair
Old 08-13-21, 05:17 PM
silverado8405

Search for some Jagwire CHA056 cable stops and stick them in the holes on the downtube and run the cables into them, they should stay. You’ll also need to get some cable liner for down at the bottom bracket to slide over the cables and up into the exit holes on the frame otherwise you’ll saw thru the frame when you shift. It’s not the direct original replacement but it should get the job done. As far as the cable guide there should be some glue on ones available that will work.

when you’re looking at the bottom bracket picture, the hole to the right should be the one that the front derailleur cable goes to, the other is just a weep hole. You can see where I drilled the guide out on mine and it’s the right hand hole. The reason I drilled it out is there was a bunch of crap in the chainstay and I couldn’t fish the di2 wire down it so I came along the stay and went up that hole. I later made a fish hookesque device and fished all the molding plastic out and was able to get the di2 wire down the chainstay. It’s kind of a beast because, at least mine is, there’s a tube of aluminum molded in the frame for the bottom bracket so I had to fish everything up the seat tube to make the connections, there’s no access from the bottom bracket. Smart because it keeps inline but a pain at the same time.

found the picture of the guide I drilled out

Last edited by silverado8405; 08-13-21 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-14-21, 08:13 AM
silverado8405

I found something, PM me if you're interested.......

Old 08-17-21, 09:14 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
So it looks like you need a pair of flanged drop-in ferrules that silverado8405 showed us. And the front shift cable pops up through the hole you drilled out. Because the frame was made for electronic shifting, there's no hole for passing the rear shift cable through the chain stay. It looks like the rear shift cable will need to pass under the chain stay to a bolt-on cable back stop. I don't known where you'd find one whose clamp is fat enough for a carbon chain stay.
Old 09-05-21, 04:48 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Update for anyone who may be interested. Thanks to silverado8405 for the photos and BB cable guide and to Jeff at Suwanee Creek Bicycles, the Gran Fondo is built. It fits exactly as I hoped and rides wonderfully.
oldbobcat- The frame is designed to be built for either electronic or mechanical shifting. It had previously been built up with Di2. It was relatively easy to run the cables and set everything up once I obtained the downtube cable stops.
FYI- Jagwire CHA056 cable stops might work, but they didn't fit the holes in the downtube snuggly. They flopped around loosely and seemed a bit dodgy.

Fuji Gran Fondo Ultegra
Likes For Bikedud: