Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you patch tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you patch tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 05:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Yes. I have patched as many as 30 on a single tube. I use Rema TipTop exclusively. It’s the only patch kit that is more than just rubber cement. It has a two part chemistry that forms bonds rather than just a contact adhesive. Tubes usually die because the valve stem rips.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-16-23, 05:52 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 414 Posts
I usually just put in a new tube. However, we have a Japanese Panasonic, electric assist bike, which is a family workhorse used for shopping and short commutes, it has 20" wheels with big tires, and a complicated rear rack, child carrier, and stand with a cable that locks the fork when the stand is used. Taking all this apart to change a tube is a royal pain, so whenever this bike gets a flat, I patch the tube without removing the wheel, tire, or tube.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-16-23, 05:56 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I use latex tubes and do patch them to save the environment. I really don't like tossing good stuff that can be fixed with a touch of elbow grease. If I get a flat, in goes a butyl tube until I get home. If the butyl tube flats, it would be patched on the side of the road but I flat maybe once in 3,000 miles, so, the chances of two flats on one ride is remote but it does happen. Only one of my bikes is tubeless, the others run tubes.
Old 06-16-23, 06:28 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I highly recommend carrying a Park GP-2 pre-glued patch kit. It takes no space in your saddle bag, and if you ever get two flats on a ride (it happens! Ask me how I know!), you won't be walking home, or making The Call Of Shame.

The patches are great to get you home - I once had to use THREE patches!
second this advice.
Old 06-16-23, 06:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Once all my patched tubes run out i have a patch party.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-16-23, 06:47 PM
DidntHearU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 06:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
For the past 3? Years my mtb has had 1 patch on each the front & rear tubes. At seasonal tire changeover I check them but they’ve been holding very well. Wish I can say I’ve had more flats & patches but that’s all I got
Old 06-16-23, 07:00 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I don't patch them. I replace them with new tubes. But I also don't toss out the old ones. As a a result, I have a pile of I don't know how many old punctured tubes sitting in my garage. I wonder if the local bike coop would like them as a donation. Maybe I should patch and reinstall, but it's easier to just get out a new tube.
Likes For Random11:
Old 06-16-23, 07:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Once all my patched tubes run out i have a patch party.
Yeah, I have a box for tubes to be patched. I wait for 4 or 5 tubes, a couple of years. (Even longer now, I'm riding way out of town on smooth roads with little traffic, so I'm riding in the right tire track on the lane. Debris is quickly kicked out by car tires. Flats are very rare. It's mostly pinch flats now, hitting large sharp gravel chunks that were kicked out onto the road that I didn't see.)

I use up a tube of glue, since opened tubes dry out quite soon.
It's faster / more efficient to patch more than one tube at a time.

I use a silver sharpie to draw a big target crosshair to the hole so I can center the patch easily.
I use real sandpaper, usually 120 or 100 grit. That cheap bit that comes in the patch kit isn't very effective.
The plastic box makes a good base for sanding the tube easily.
I do clamp the patch for an hour or so, "it might help".

I don't hesitate to run these patched tubes. I have an occasional slow leak failure, but that's maybe 5% of the tubes, and it shows up right away.
Old 06-16-23, 07:09 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I'm in goathead country. Before I began using tire liners I'd suffer 2-3 flats a year, so I patched and patched. After I started using tire liners I had a flat or to a year, if even that many. In fact, I remember replacing the tires on my 84 Nishiki and finding the front wheel had a couple of patches and the back had 7, but at that point it had been a couple years since I had a flat on that bike.

If the flat is due to a small puncture I'll still patch it and use it till an unpatatchable incident happens.
We have goatheads out here too, and they've gotten me a couple times. But blown radial tires are what seem to get me most, by a large margin.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don’t patch on the side of the road. When I get home, I check BF to find out what other people do so I know what I should do.
Smart.
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Mid ride I replace with a never patched tube. Once home I inspect and patch tube, re-install in the tire. The replacement tube then goes back in my seat bag. Have been patching tubes since I was a teenager. Some tubes have had 4 patches before being junked.
I'm just the opposite. I'd rather start on a new tube and keep a patched tube as my back-up. I do it just in case I pick up a piece of wire but don't find it. If I have a second flat, I'd rather it be in a tube I've already patched. For whatever sense that makes.
Old 06-16-23, 07:14 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
You might consider installing wider, lower-pressure, puncture-resistant tires on a set of wheels and using those wheels for most of your training, if you can stand seeing a lower average speed. If you're mostly training by power, speed is irrelevant other than in races, anyway.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-16-23, 07:21 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by ljsense
I take the same approach wolfchild laid out above -- I like to patch in a clean controlled workroom. Then I carry one patched tube and one new one as spares. If a riding buddy or a stranger needs a tube, they get the patched one.

But honestly, I haven't seen a well patched tube fail -- they just seem to get punctured somewhere else, just like a new tube.
I prefer something similar - a controlled environment. I do need to carry the emergency patches, but as of right now I just swap out the tubes, bring home the punctured tube and patch it in my garage. Same experience too. Well patched seem to hold long enough to get a puncture somewhere else.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes. I have patched as many as 30 on a single tube. I use Rema TipTop exclusively. It’s the only patch kit that is more than just rubber cement. It has a two part chemistry that forms bonds rather than just a contact adhesive. Tubes usually die because the valve stem rips.
Jeez! 30 patches??? Personally, I don't like to do more than two, but three is my limit. But good for you.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I use latex tubes and do patch them to save the environment. I really don't like tossing good stuff that can be fixed with a touch of elbow grease. If I get a flat, in goes a butyl tube until I get home. If the butyl tube flats, it would be patched on the side of the road but I flat maybe once in 3,000 miles, so, the chances of two flats on one ride is remote but it does happen. Only one of my bikes is tubeless, the others run tubes.
So how do you patch a latex tube? Does it require it's own patch kit? I've heard latex tubes last longer and are nominally faster. To your experience, is this true?
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Yeah, I have a box for tubes to be patched. I wait for 4 or 5 tubes, a couple of years. (Even longer now, I'm riding way out of town on smooth roads with little traffic, so I'm riding in the right tire track on the lane. Debris is quickly kicked out by car tires. Flats are very rare. It's mostly pinch flats now, hitting large sharp gravel chunks that were kicked out onto the road that I didn't see.)

I use up a tube of glue, since opened tubes dry out quite soon.
It's faster / more efficient to patch more than one tube at a time.

I use a silver sharpie to draw a big target crosshair to the hole so I can center the patch easily.
I use real sandpaper, usually 120 or 100 grit. That cheap bit that comes in the patch kit isn't very effective.
The plastic box makes a good base for sanding the tube easily.
I do clamp the patch for an hour or so, "it might help".

I don't hesitate to run these patched tubes. I have an occasional slow leak failure, but that's maybe 5% of the tubes, and it shows up right away.
Sounds very similar to my process. I have a can of that Slime brand rubber cement, but I prefer to use a Dremel with a sanding wheel to scuff my tube and the patch (which is just rubber from a previously failed tube). But I do mine a bit differently. Once I identify where my puncture is, I use chalk to draw a box centered around the puncture just a little bit bigger than my patch. Then I scuff inside the box with my sanding wheel and scuff my patch. Once I put the cement on and center my patch I put a weight on it (I have an old moped battery that works perfectly for this) and leave it like that overnight. I've had very few failures patching this way.
Old 06-16-23, 07:23 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Trakhak
You might consider installing wider, lower-pressure, puncture-resistant tires on a set of wheels and using those wheels for most of your training, if you can stand seeing a lower average speed. If you're mostly training by power, speed is irrelevant other than in races, anyway.
Ya, I actually would really like to go up to a 28c tire for routine rides. Right now I have a couple sets of 23c tires so I can't justify buying 28s just because, but once I wear out a set or two, I'll be going up to 28s and see how those feel for me.
Old 06-16-23, 08:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I've also heard about carrying a bill but I haven't actually done so yet.
The bill isn’t for fixing tube punctures. (It’s to use for covering holes in the tire.)
Old 06-16-23, 08:24 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
The main reason is that riding on ~25mm wires (I think mine are 28's but not sure) you can actually feel the patch oftentimes.
Not likely. If it was, there would be much more talk about it.
Old 06-16-23, 08:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Yes, multiple times. When tubes die, it's usually because I screw something up in a profound way, or they leak at the base of the Presta valve stem (Schrader stems seem more rugged). I've had fewer flats since I bought tubes that were not undersized for the tire. cyccommute has commented about this.

I carry one spare tube and a Rema patch kit. I now keep an additional spare tube and patch kit at work in case I notice a flat before I go home and can patch it during my lunch hour. I usually get one or two people to watch.
Old 06-16-23, 08:48 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
I swap in a new tube on the road. I do carry a minimal patch kit in case of multiple punctures but haven't needed to use it.

Once I get back home I'll patch the punctured tube and reinstall it, which lets me know for sure that the patched tube is 100% good to go. It also puts the unpatched tube back into my bag for next time, still 'new'.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-16-23, 09:07 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I prefer something similar - a controlled environment. I do need to carry the emergency patches, but as of right now I just swap out the tubes, bring home the punctured tube and patch it in my garage. Same experience too. Well patched seem to hold long enough to get a puncture somewhere else.

Jeez! 30 patches??? Personally, I don't like to do more than two, but three is my limit. But good for you.

So how do you patch a latex tube? Does it require it's own patch kit? I've heard latex tubes last longer and are nominally faster. To your experience, is this true?
Sounds very similar to my process. I have a can of that Slime brand rubber cement, but I prefer to use a Dremel with a sanding wheel to scuff my tube and the patch (which is just rubber from a previously failed tube). But I do mine a bit differently. Once I identify where my puncture is, I use chalk to draw a box centered around the puncture just a little bit bigger than my patch. Then I scuff inside the box with my sanding wheel and scuff my patch. Once I put the cement on and center my patch I put a weight on it (I have an old moped battery that works perfectly for this) and leave it like that overnight. I've had very few failures patching this way.
I patch using the vulcanizing patches. I've tried the Park instant patches but they only last around 6 months. I used to cut up old latex tubes and affix homemade patches with vulcanizing fluid but the commercial patches in the green box work fine. I suppose if I were racing, the 0.0241 watts lost to the patch would matter.
Old 06-16-23, 09:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
I carry two tubes, so seldom patch on the road. My limit is 6 patches. Usually the valve's attachment to the tube fails before I get there. There's no fix I know of for that.
Old 06-16-23, 09:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Yep, I kinda enjoy patching tubes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-16-23, 11:01 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The bill isn’t for fixing tube punctures. (It’s to use for covering holes in the tire.)
That's what I've heard. But it's something I never would have even considered had I not read about it hear first.
Old 06-16-23, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,656 Times in 2,927 Posts
On my tubed bike I carry a spare tube and a patch kit. If I flat, I put in the tube and patch the affected one at home and put it in rotation, with a 3 patch maximum.

Old 06-17-23, 12:10 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
I was trading tires on my primary cruiser this evening as part of a test of some older tires, and the front tube had 3 patches. No big deal, because a properly-patched tube is as good as new. Right now with all the tubes I'm patching for nonprofits, I'm going through about one 100-count box of Rema patches every 6 months, along with the corresponding amount of Rema vulcanizing fluid.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-17-23, 03:48 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I patch using the vulcanizing patches. I've tried the Park instant patches but they only last around 6 months.
The Park patches are meant to be temporary. So, lasting 6 months is more than one should expect.
Old 06-17-23, 03:52 AM
njkayaker

I don't mean just to get you home. I'm talking about patching a tube and then riding it as long as you can? If you do, what's your limit on patches? I've gotten pretty good at patching tubes. I generally will patch a tube twice before I won't trust it any more. On a couple of occasions I have gone to three patches but I reserve those tubes for emergencies, just to get me home.
Patching is economical and “environmentally friendly”.

I was on one trip were the group was going through so many tubes that patching was a necessity.

If it’s done correctly, the patches last a long time.

People don’t it because it’s more work and “mysterious”.

You want to be sure to sand the area being patched.

I bought one of those 4oz containers of rubber cement and I just cut up an old tube for my patches.
“Rubber cement” usually refers to the stuff you buy in art stores. You don’t want to use that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-17-23 at 03:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.