Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Have You Ever Broken a Frame Removing Headset Cups?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Have You Ever Broken a Frame Removing Headset Cups?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 08:48 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 667 Posts
so the problem is not with you

unlike most newbie posters, we could not have imagined you had frame blocks and knew how to use a sledge

we are often faced with helping "newbies" figure out poorly defined problems "my bike is making a funny noise"

glad you got this figured out

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 06-17-23 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 09:01 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The advice you were given was solid.
That advice had already been tried, and it had failed, so how was it "solid"?

You don’t know what you’re doing.
The eventual solution was not, in fact, suggested by anyone here -- so let's just call this claim "dubious", and leave it at that.
Old 06-17-23, 09:03 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by mpetry912
unlike most newbie posters, we could not have imagined you had frame blocks and knew how to use a sledge
With respect, I gave y'all a pretty big hint in the very first message when I mentioned that I welded this frame.
Old 06-17-23, 09:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 5,446 Times in 2,769 Posts
So shortly after asking for help, you came up with a genius solution for your problem. You could have just posted in the "Hints and Tricks" thread and avoided all the drama.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-17-23, 09:16 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
With respect, I gave y'all a pretty big hint in the very first message when I mentioned that I welded this frame.
Yeah I caught that. I presume as someone who has built at least one frame, you understand that the head tube needs to be reamed to correct for any distortion and to ensure a proper fit of the headset.
I would give it another reaming before re installing the headset.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-17-23, 09:32 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That advice had already been tried, and it had failed, so how was it "solid"?

The eventual solution was not, in fact, suggested by anyone here -- so let's just call this claim "dubious", and leave it at that.
No one who’s ever worked on bikes would have suggested your “solution.” Ice cubes? Seriously? You got lucky.

You used the wrong tools and techniques. Glad you worked it out.
Old 06-17-23, 09:40 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
Hint? You gave a “hint??” You didn’t say you welded it yourself. “My welds” isn’t very informative. Personally, I think brazing would be preferable to welding.

With respect.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-17-23, 10:32 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
So shortly after asking for help, you came up with a genius solution for your problem.
Technically, I didn't ask for help. I just asked if anyone had broken a frame in this manner. More to the point, I did not say the solution was genius -- only that no one here offered it. And that it did work.

Last edited by TC1; 06-17-23 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 10:42 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Yeah I caught that. I presume as someone who has built at least one frame, you understand that the head tube needs to be reamed to correct for any distortion and to ensure a proper fit of the headset.
I would give it another reaming before re installing the headset.
It's already/still as round as I can measure. That said, the headset cups are not high-end, and they might be on the large side of spec. I am considering not re-using them. New paint won't arrive for more than a week, so I have some time to think about it.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-23, 10:55 PM
TC1

No one who’s ever worked on bikes would have suggested your “solution.” Ice cubes?
Anyone who has worked with dissimilar metal assemblies would have -- using heat is an incredibly common tactic to free such, and I'm annoyed that I didn't try it first, actually.

You used the wrong tools and techniques.
Oh really. What are the right tools and techniques for removing pressed-in headset cups? ( Rhetorical question, since a headset removal tool very clearly is. )

Personally, I think brazing would be preferable to welding.
Well, my tig machine disagrees, as does most of the bicycle market these days, although I do tig-braze some small bits, and other projects.

Alright folks, I'm guessing that we've beat this horse thoroughly beyond any use, and am going to suggest that unless anyone has substantive commentary on the topic -- like Mr Burkhart did -- we call it a night.
Old 06-18-23, 08:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 966 Posts
No, never.

However you appear not knowing with your starting techniques written, now lol you get the flame for assuming that everyone knows you built a frame without saying I built this frame, get some better paint next time. Did you paint this yourself? Why did you use such a junk paint for your self built? I agree if you used better paint you would have had better results.

Heat is always my second try on anything difficult. I'll put grease on the area that I heat. I'll heat to the point that the grease wicks into area that's of issue. Then try removing.
Old 06-18-23, 10:37 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That was exactly why I made this post. Unfortunately, most respondents looked only at the age of my account, and decided that I didn't know what I was doing.

I was hoping for actual advice that I didn't know -- perhaps "Don't worry, a 5 lb sledge is nothing compared to a 200 lb rider" or "I'd sacrifice the cups and cut them off before risking that".

Didn't really get any, though.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease -- and probably way too much most of the time -- and whatever the Park product is called, on special occasions. I raced cars for about 25 years, and while there are certainly better wrenches than me, I understand the idea behind lubrication. These cups were greased when they went in, but the fit was apparently sufficiently tight that not much reached where it was required. Didn't know that at the time, but I do now, so I'll adjust accordingly.

Thanks.
To me the age of the account doesn't always matter but we tend to get a lot of new folks lately who aren't here for good and have no idea what they are doing but are beyond confident in it and that is the problem. You have to realize hey maybe I don't know, maybe I should just shut up and listen even if it is hard sometimes. Having been working in shops for a decent amount of time and been a bike nerd and have a high interest in cycling, I still know there is a lot I can learn. When people begin to call me an expert I generally try and squash that quickly and say I still have a lot I don't know.

Obviously yes it is a online forum and there are a lot of people who believe they are experts and yada yada yada but in the end you came in hot when you didn't need to be and no you shouldn't cut out a headset cup except as a way last resort if it is not moving at all and you have tried a lot of stuff to remove it and done it all as properly as possible and it really won't come out.
Old 06-18-23, 12:25 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by veganbikes
To me the age of the account doesn't always matter but we tend to get a lot of new folks lately who aren't here for good...
Just in case anyone cares, like perhaps the administrator, I can explain why some of those people "aren't here for good." This forum is not at all friendly -- even by internet standards ( and I used to run some, decades ago ). Perhaps that's by design, in which case, carry-on, but if not, adjustments could be made. My skin is plenty tough, but I see why many folks bail on this forum without much delay.

you came in hot...
How so, exactly? Feel free to re-read my original message, or even the others, and explain how "hot" they are.

What actually happened was that I asked an unusual question, and received a few requests for clarification, a couple well-meaning suggestions to a question that I didn't ask, and some poor advice that doesn't even comport with the known laws of physics. When I observed that such advice was nonsensical, some people like FDinNY, shelbyfv, and smd4 resorted to attacking me personally, which I understand to be in violation of the rules here.
Old 06-18-23, 01:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 5,446 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Just in case anyone cares, like perhaps the administrator, I can explain why some of those people "aren't here for good." This forum is not at all friendly -- even by internet standards ( and I used to run some, decades ago ). Perhaps that's by design, in which case, carry-on, but if not, adjustments could be made. My skin is plenty tough, but I see why many folks bail on this forum without much delay.

How so, exactly? Feel free to re-read my original message, or even the others, and explain how "hot" they are.

What actually happened was that I asked an unusual question, and received a few requests for clarification, a couple well-meaning suggestions to a question that I didn't ask, and some poor advice that doesn't even comport with the known laws of physics. When I observed that such advice was nonsensical, some people like FDinNY, shelbyfv, and smd4 resorted to attacking me personally, which I understand to be in violation of the rules here.
What sort of evidence do you have that "many folks bail on this forum without much delay"? Also, maybe you can point to a post where I have "attacked" you. I did ask if you were qualified to invoke all this talk of physics. The answer may embarrass you but asking was hardly an attack, especially given that you were presenting yourself as someone with special knowledge.
Old 06-18-23, 02:03 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
I am, thanks.

Let's test and see if I can post a picture for the first time, which may be worth a few dozen words.

Will all due respect, I am sure that I don't know anyone who is stronger than a 4 1/2" vise bolted to a large steel workbench, so I am sure that having a person attempt to hold the frame will not work better.
You going to paint it anyway? I think you have a bond between your old paint/powdercoat and the cup. heat it up good to break the bond.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-18-23, 02:14 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
You going to paint it anyway? I think you have a bond between your old paint/powdercoat and the cup. heat it up good to break the bond.
Thanks for the suggestion. I went the opposite way and used cold, not heat, and it worked yesterday.

@smd4 : What happened to your claim that "No one who’s ever worked on bikes would have suggested your solution"?
Likes For TC1:
Old 06-18-23, 02:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by TC1

Those folks aren't here for good because they are here to troll. a common internet thing. It has nothing to do with your perceived lack of friendliness here though yes sometimes it can feel that people are harsh but we have had cases where both parties were in agreement but the new poster had to argue with them and being kind of hostile and these were folks in agreement with each other not people on opposing sides of the aisle. People see a lot of silly stuff around here and it isn't a oh we are just unfriendly people it is people coming with a question and only wanting to hear what they want to hear and nothing else and if you try to have an opposing viewpoint or a more educated viewpoint that doesn't match up exactly with what you want to hear people get a little testy.

I am curious who are all these people "bailing on this forum, without delay"? I am curious there have been a lot of us who clearly haven't bailed and plenty of new folks who are still active sure on any online forum there will be people who literally use it like google and don't come back but they aren't here as a forum member they are here because we are a more specific google search engine for them. They were never here to join the forums they saw it as let me just quickly run into their meeting and throw my hand up and then their buddy texts hey about to leave get in the car. It is common on any forum on the internet this is not a unique thing here.

When I said you came in hot I read what your wrote your initial post was fine but then you got rather argumentative quickly. There was no need for that. You are a new poster and that is why I said you came in hot not that your first post was hot necessarily but you started off your time here in the full sense being "hot". I got the feeling of "I know better" instead of "I could learn". Maybe I got the wrong impression it is in the end text on a page but I tried to be nice here and not totally lay into you but guide you a little. I apologize if you felt attacked or anything at least from me. I don't think anyone else was attacking you either but text on a page can be misinterpreted and I won't lie some of us can get a little snarky. It is the internet after all!
Old 06-18-23, 02:48 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Thanks for the suggestion. I went the opposite way and used cold, not heat, and it worked yesterday.

@smd4 : What happened to your claim that "No one who’s ever worked on bikes would have suggested your solution"?
Awesome, Pretty sure cold wouldn't have worked with powdercoat and I wasn't sure what you had there.
Old 06-18-23, 02:49 PM
TC1

...if you try to have an opposing viewpoint or a more educated viewpoint that doesn't match up exactly with what you want to hear people get a little testy.
Extremely so, in my experience here. Made even worse by how wrong those testy folks are.

I am curious who are all these people "bailing on this forum, without delay"?
I don't know, I was referring to your comment that "we tend to get a lot of new folks lately who aren't here for good..."

When I said you came in hot I read what your wrote your initial post was fine but then you got rather argumentative quickly. There was no need for that.
With respect, that was not my initial post here -- I have already been helping a few people, although not necessarily in this subforum. More to the point, I was polite, and not argumentative in this thread. Admittedly, I have been amazed by the resistance to learning exhibited in 'that other thread', which has devolved into an argument.

Maybe I got the wrong impression it is in the end text on a page but I tried to be nice here and not totally lay into you but guide you a little. I apologize if you felt attacked or anything at least from me.
I appreciate that, and I don't feel that you specifically have said anything untoward. I cannot say the same for some of your compatriots in this subforum, unfortunately. But hey, apparently the administrator is cool with the behavior exhibited here, so far be it from me to worry about it.
Old 06-18-23, 03:13 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
More to the point, I was polite, and not argumentative in this thread.
Telling someone their kindly and freely-given advice or suggestion is “counterproductive” is pretty much the opposite of “polite.”
Old 06-18-23, 03:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Glad you got the cup out.

For a lot of similar removals on cars or equipment, the suggestion is to use an air impact hammer. Lots of small impacts rather than a few big whops from a sledge.

Most of my headset removal, I'll find a big Crescent wrench and adjust it to grab loosely around the head tube and rest on the cup and pound the cup out. No special tool.
Old 06-18-23, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by TC1
Extremely so, in my experience here. Made even worse by how wrong those testy folks are.

I don't know, I was referring to your comment that "we tend to get a lot of new folks lately who aren't here for good..."

With respect, that was not my initial post here -- I have already been helping a few people, although not necessarily in this subforum. More to the point, I was polite, and not argumentative in this thread. Admittedly, I have been amazed by the resistance to learning exhibited in 'that other thread', which has devolved into an argument.

I appreciate that, and I don't feel that you specifically have said anything untoward. I cannot say the same for some of your compatriots in this subforum, unfortunately. But hey, apparently the administrator is cool with the behavior exhibited here, so far be it from me to worry about it.
I wasn't referring to older forum members but new folks coming in asking questions and then going crazy on people who agree with them or maybe don't.

The folks here for no good aren't bailing quickly they are trolls here to troll and the only time they are gone is when they get banned for trolling. So who are these folks who are bailing? They aren't the folks I was talking about and well if they were the folks you were talking about you are missing everything here.

I guess I have missed your earlier posts but from what I am seeing it is not a good start maybe it started good and you started back sliding I don't know but it is not looking good right now.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-18-23, 03:37 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1

Sure, we’d use heat trying to remove 3/4” studs from the steam dome of a 1941 locomotive, but no bike shop I ever wrenched in had an ice maker or a torch. And yet, we still were able to remove stubborn headset cups…
Old 06-18-23, 08:41 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just as an aside, I've never clamped a frame while removing headset cups. I just hold the head tube in one hand and bang on the remover with a big hammer in the other hand. The remover is the old trusty piece of electrical conduit, slotted, and spread out a bit to form 4 tabs.

The opposing force comes from the inertia of the frame. I think it's the most gentle way to do it, without risking breaking the frame joints, bending the tubes, or gouging the frame in the jaws of the vise. Also, I wouldn't discount the use of ice, though I've never tried it myself.
Old 06-19-23, 07:05 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
regardless of how big a hammer you are using, make sure you are transferring that energy into moving the cup

when you say "clamped in a vice" please describe your setup?

sometimes getting somebody to hold the frame right behind the headtube helps

/markp
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Clamping the frame in the vice ensures that much of the impact is being transmitted through the frame (which is acting as a spring) and is thus being absorbed by the frame and the vice.

Take the frame out of the vice, and have a helper simply hold the frame up loosely - grabbing it through layers of shop towels or the like, to ensure that the impact force isn't being absorbed anywhere but at the point of contact - and tap the the cup out gently (while moving the point of impact a few millimeters at a time) with a blunt punch or screwdriver or whatever tool you can safely adapt to the purpose.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've got no physics beyond HS but it seems if you whack something with a 5lb hammer and it doesn't move, something else connected might. Hopefully not the downtube. I think that may be why it was suggested someone hold the frame. Good luck!
I happened upon this comment on removing headset bearings on Dave Moulton's blog. Dave had a reputation as a good frame builder in the previous century. He is now retired. He wrote:

I would simply place the removal tool in the headtube, hold the frame in one hand, while tapping out the bearing cup with a hammer or preferably a wooden mallet with the other hand. These cups are only a press fit in the frame, and only require a few light taps to knock them loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.