Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

open-bearing wheel wobble

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 08:23 AM
justadude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My goal is to diagnose what's wrong with this wheel, and fix it.

Description of wheel: It's a vintage 27 inch aluminum wheel, open bearings (9, 1/4 inch bearings on each side), Maillard hub with quick release, Atom freewheel, Weinmann rim, 3-cross steel spokes.

Description of problem: When riding, wheel seemed increasingly out of balance. It's at the point where I won't ride it again until it's repaired. Bearings and cones look normal. The cone adjustment seems right. It spins freely with no free lateral movement on the axle. While holding the frame with rear wheel off the ground, and spinning it with the crank, there's a + 1/2 inch wobble at the rim when looking between the chainstays. There's a noticeable wobble looking at the hub, more noticeable on the hub's left side outside the spokes, but also seen on the right (freewheel side) with parabolic-type freewheel motion. Visually, the hub wobble seems correlated with the feeling or motion of it being out-of-balance.

Question: How would you diagnose and fix the wheel? Is wobble at the hub primary or secondary?

Last edited by justadude; 08-03-11 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add description
Old 08-03-11, 08:35 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Need photos. Has the hubshell failed?
Old 08-03-11, 08:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
With the wheel off the ground, holding the rim, does it have any play side to side ?
What do the bearings feel like when the wheel is off the bike ? Smooth ? Any play in the axle ? A tiny bit of play is good because it will go away when the qr is tightened.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-03-11, 08:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If the hub is properly adjusted and smooth, the wobble has to be due to the rim being out of true. A spoke wrench and proper truing should fix it unless the rim it self has been bent or damaged.
Old 08-03-11, 09:38 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
With the wheel off the ground, holding the rim, does it have any play side to side ?
What do the bearings feel like when the wheel is off the bike ? Smooth ? Any play in the axle ? A tiny bit of play is good because it will go away when the qr is tightened.
There seems to be no play side to side at the hub/axle from pressing the rim side-to-side. Seems to spin free, but not too loose on the axle. The wheel spins smooth, but doesn't seem to spin as long as it should normally.
Old 08-03-11, 09:40 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
Need photos. Has the hubshell failed?
I'm not sure what you mean by hubshell failed. It appears normal, except the wobble described above. I don't know what to show with photo. Video would be ideal, but I don't have the technology right now.
Old 08-03-11, 09:41 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
If the hub is properly adjusted and smooth, the wobble has to be due to the rim being out of true. A spoke wrench and proper truing should fix it unless the rim it self has been bent or damaged.
So the wobble at the hub/axle would probably be secondary to the wheel being out of true? The rim doesn't appear to be bent or damaged.

Last edited by justadude; 08-03-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-04-11, 12:05 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If your bearings are properly adjusted and the hub wobbles, that says to me your hub is toast.
Old 08-04-11, 01:40 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
are you tightening the cones properly - are you using cone wrenches to tighten the cone nuts and lock nuts against each other - it sounds like you get the wheel spinning well in your hands ok (maybe even a little tight) but on the bike it loosens because the nuts werent tightened sufficiently - for me - i gotta use cone wrenches AND an axle vice
https://cgi.ebay.com/Park-Tool-AV-1-A...#ht_500wt_1202
too so that the opposite cone doesnt come loose during tightening of the other
Old 08-04-11, 08:06 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

I can't picture the wobble at the hub on the non-freewheel side unless part of the hub is broken. Unless a dust cap at the axle is on a little crooked which doesn't matter.

A little freewheel wobble when coasting is normal due to less than perfect machining on lower end components.

Sounds like the wheel needs truing, which is a separate issue.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-04-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 11:19 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I'd say the OP sent us on a wild goose chase by using the wrong terms.

Justadude, if your hub has been adjusted as you say so you can't feel any play at the rim then what you have is not wobble, which indicates "play". It's called runout which is being caused by your rim and spokes being out of true. You just need to get them trued up either by yourself or a wheel tech.

As noted if your wheel doesn't run as long as you think it should then you may have tightened the axle a little too much. The QR skewer compresses the axle slightly and that is enough to make a "perfect" bearing adjustment come out too tight. That's why it was mentioned that you need to have just a hair of play in the axle. Then when the QR skewer tightens up the play just goes away.

I like to adjust the bearing preload with a QR skewer in place and tightened the same as it would be on the bike. This requires some washers to be used to simulate the dropout on one side and a small thick washer to trap the skewer at the end of the axle on the other so as to leave the locking nut on that side open so the preload can be adjusted.
Old 08-04-11, 11:31 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BCRider
I'd say the OP sent us on a wild goose chase by using the wrong terms.
We need a sticky somewhere with an exploded view of a bicycle with every part named.

Old 08-04-11, 01:46 PM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the information. Kimmo: I hope the hub isn't toast, but anything's possible. I think I'm going to take it to the mechanic and pay him to true it. If the cones need some adjustment afterward, I think I'll know what to do with them.