Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Exercise bike v turbo trainer

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-09-15, 02:19 PM
rsm42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I'm keen to keep fit over winter and looking at either an exercise bike or a turbo trainer for my claude butler san remo road bike.

Due to budget (£120) I'm looking at either a "ultrashort exercise f bike" or a "Minoura b60r" turbo trainer.

What do you think would be best ? I'm still relatively new to cycling and usual ride distances vary between 10 to 20 miles.

Are turbo trainers any good ? How easy are they to fit to your bike ?

I'm about 1.8m tall and weigh about 65 kilos

Cheers
Old 01-09-15, 02:59 PM
trailrnr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have any specific advice about the Minoura, as I use a Cyclops Mag trainer to stay in cycling shape during the winter. I think these things are effective, as long as you actually ride. I can be pretty damn boring, however, and that is coming from someone who doesn't mind too much swimming laps in a pool! It is part of the package with ride DVD's that I watch while I workout. Just sitting there riding and watching the tube is way too boring, for me to do for more than about 30 minutes.....
Old 01-09-15, 05:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Trainer, not exercise bike. For one, the exercise bike will fit differently. For two, it looks very flimsy and cheaply made.
Old 01-09-15, 06:32 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsm42
Hi

I'm keen to keep fit over winter and looking at either an exercise bike or a turbo trainer for my claude butler san remo road bike.

Due to budget (£120) I'm looking at either a "ultrashort exercise f bike" or a "Minoura b60r" turbo trainer.

What do you think would be best ? I'm still relatively new to cycling and usual ride distances vary between 10 to 20 miles.

Are turbo trainers any good ? How easy are they to fit to your bike ?

I'm about 1.8m tall and weigh about 65 kilos

Cheers
It depends on several factors. Trainer keeps you on the bike during winter and is the same fit but takes up more room and the cheap trainers have a very unnatural feel. Both are very boring and it helps if you can put either the trainer or the exercise bike in front of the television or a window to look outside while on it. I personally like the stationary bike better because I can keep it inside and it is sturdy but it cost about 400 USD for a good quality quiet one. Since I'm a heavy rider (225 pounds) I felt like my road bike would come apart on me in a trainer. I tried a trainer and didn't like it but I'm sure a better one would have made a big difference. You also need to have a special tire on the trainer if you don't want to wear out your good road tires. The trainer works best with a different type of rubber compound.

Lemond makes a really nice trainer that you mount you rear bike frame to and remove the tire. It's more expensive but if I wanted to try a good trainer I would go with that one. You won't have to buy special tires and it's supposed to feel more like real riding. I had a trainer similar to the Minora b60r and I really disliked it but you may not.

You need about 2-3 more feet of room for a bike and trainer to setup. The exercise bike requires also most no setup so it is easier to get on for me. But it still is so boring that i can only go for about 30 minutes.

I actually think that it is good for the body to do another type of exercise other than cycling for 2-3 months during the winter. But it is nice to get on the exercise bike a month before I want to go out on the bike to get a little bit in shape. It helps to ease the transition from my more sedentary winter.

Last edited by Hezz; 01-09-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 06:41 AM
rsm42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all
Old 01-10-15, 09:31 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
No question-trainer. In addition to the reasons noted above a trainer doubles as a repair stand.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-12-15, 09:29 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Winter cycling is done outside.
Old 01-13-15, 11:06 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy an old mountain bike.

Repair anything that needs it

Fit decent tyres, mudguards and lights.

Carry on riding. I can't think of anything more boring and unproductive than cycling indoors not going anywhere.