Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New sport bike-why would I even want disk brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New sport bike-why would I even want disk brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 09:57 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I just got my first disc brake bike in November, and i liked it enough that i am going to switch my entire stable to discs over time. Only my TT bike is going to remain rim only, atleast for now.
My next TT bike will have disc brakes, but only to have the ability to swap wheels between other bikes.
Old 01-02-20, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I thought that, at the most likely yaw angles, the most aero TT bikes these days were disc? Or have I just fallen prey to Big Bike marketing?
Old 01-02-20, 10:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I thought that, at the most likely yaw angles, the most aero TT bikes these days were disc? Or have I just fallen prey to Big Bike marketing?
I haven't looked into it recently, but I thought most TT bikes had disc or rim brake options available.

Last edited by noodle soup; 01-02-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-02-20, 10:55 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
to brake is to admit defeat.
Nobody said to brake is to admit defeat.
I'm just stating the fact that the only thing brakes do is to slow you down.
Old 01-02-20, 11:01 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But is tomorrow really the start of a new decade? Keep in mind that there was no A.D. 0.
In fact there were no years A.D. until 525.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-02-20, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
In fact there were no years A.D. until 525.
Damn revisionists.
Old 01-02-20, 11:16 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Glad the OP found a bike, hope he has many safe miles on it!

As for me, disc brakes all the way. I'm 185lbs and did over 600k ft of climbing last year, getting my first disc brake bike mid year was a game changer, and prompted a switch to discs for my road bike by the fall. The only way I'll have rim brakes again is on a TT bike.
Old 01-02-20, 11:43 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
From what I gather, aero road disc bikes havent really caught up to their rim brethren - Spesh claims that the Venge disc is faster than the ViAs but Tour magazine testing shows that the current disc Madone is slower than the old rim brake one, and the same is also true of the S5.

I imagine the same also holds true for tri bikes - I havent really seen any data comparing rim brake to disc brake versions. And since i dont really need aggressive braking during a triathlon, I am sticking with rim brakes for now. I have a cheap pair of entry wheels i use for general training, and HED 9/disc for racing or race sims, and dont need to swap in any other wheels - which eliminates the need to have all-disc stable.
Old 01-02-20, 04:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Nobody said to brake is to admit defeat.
I'm just stating the fact that the only thing brakes do is to slow you down.
I said, it was meant to be humorous
Old 01-02-20, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
As for me, disc brakes all the way. I'm 185lbs and did over 600k ft of climbing last year, getting my first disc brake bike mid year was a game changer, and prompted a switch to discs for my road bike by the fall. The only way I'll have rim brakes again is on a TT bike.
I myself find very little need for aggressive braking while climbing.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-02-20, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Well then it's a good thing that you have all of those routes that go up but not down. I wish that I had routes that went down but not up.
Old 01-02-20, 05:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There have been times I've wished I could ride up and but have to ride back down.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-02-20, 05:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you weigh 140 or less instead of 185, disc brakes certainly aren't needed, unless you also descend in the rain frequently. I did at least 7,000 miles of pure descending on mountain roads with many corners in 7 years and never felt the need for disc brakes, but back then there were no road bikes with disc brakes. Somehow, most people survived. Descending down Mt.Evans 6 times was no problem with rim brakes. I quit cycling in 2010 and when I came back to in 2018, disc brakes were a big thing and many people needed them.

My research shows that disc brake groupsets cost more and weigh more, disc frames weigh more and disc wheelsets weigh more (comparing the same wheelset in disc and rim models).

My bikes have the latest 12 speed groupsets so I'm no Luddite. I just don't need discs. Folks should buy whatever they feel they need.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-03-20 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-02-20, 05:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Well then it's a good thing that you have all of those routes that go up but not down. I wish that I had routes that went down but not up.
On an off-topic note.. do any of the major online cycling apps (Strava, RWGPS, etc) provide any reporting on total (eg. annual) descents, or just elevation gain?
Old 01-02-20, 06:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
My research shows that disc brake groupsets cost more, disc frames weigh more and disc wheelsets weigh more (comparing the same wheelset in disc and rim models).
True, but it isn't necessarily a big difference. On my disc-brake road bike the penalties were only about 2% and 4%, respectively, of the overall cost and weight of the bike.
Old 01-02-20, 06:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My research shows that disc brake groupsets cost more, disc frames weigh more and disc wheelsets weigh more (comparing the same wheelset in disc and rim models).
Cervelo R series frames weigh less in disc versions. Not by a lot.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-03-20, 06:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
From what I gather, aero road disc bikes havent really caught up to their rim brethren - Spesh claims that the Venge disc is faster than the ViAs but Tour magazine testing shows that the current disc Madone is slower than the old rim brake one, and the same is also true of the S5.

I imagine the same also holds true for tri bikes - I havent really seen any data comparing rim brake to disc brake versions. And since i dont really need aggressive braking during a triathlon, I am sticking with rim brakes for now. I have a cheap pair of entry wheels i use for general training, and HED 9/disc for racing or race sims, and dont need to swap in any other wheels - which eliminates the need to have all-disc stable.
Old 01-03-20, 10:34 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
^^^ Interesting link. I enjoy GCN videos but i really wish they would be a bit more rigorous with their science.

That said, it wouldnt surprise me if most road bikes are more aero on rim brakes. However, I do wonder to what extent the aero leaders with the big budgets (Trek, Spesh, C'dale and Giant) are able to narrow the gap with their statement bikes. I took this screenshot below off a discussion on Slowtwitch, and it is from Tour Magazine's last test. While I dont know the error margins of the test, Cannondale's SystemSix is the only bike that has beaten the old rim-brake Trek Madone: both the current disc Madone and Venge are slower than their rim counterparts (Spesh claims differently and their result might be valid based on their own wind tunnel, testing protocol, etc).

For me, the differences werent enough to justify getting a rim brake bike.

Old 01-03-20, 10:42 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cervelo R series frames weigh less in disc versions. Not by a lot.
Tough to find that info. Cervelo doesn't seem to list frame weights on their website.

I owned the earliest R3 model. I rode in the mountains twice, then sold it. Goofy geometry back then.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-03-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-03-20, 10:50 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Excellent point in the video, confidence and feel. Very hard to quantify, but absolutely played a role in my decision. Yes, my carbon rims with grooved brake track and good pads, combined with the direct mount Ultegra brakes, did brake very well. But I was not confident in them when doing big descents. They never failed me, but I always had that "what if" thought in the back of my head, so I was probably overly careful with them. Bring in the disc brakes and those thoughts are completely gone, I have full confidence in my brakes and therefore descend faster and brake harder. Whether or not I could have been descending at the same speeds with my previous setup is irrelevant to me, the fact that discs give me the confidence to do it now is all that matters.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Very true We'll assume somewhat equal amounts of descending were involved.

Actually, I was riding the Creeper Trail in VA, 33 miles of gravel, with the second half having a steady 2-3% grade. Not a huge amount, but definitely made for a fun return trip. Then I realized that there was a place doing bike rentals that would also drive you to the higher end of the trail, so you could ride the grade back down.
Old 01-03-20, 10:50 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Hotly debated at ST. Rational thought is that no, disks are not faster. Only manufacturer data shows them as such, and Cervelo had to delete a white paper that showed the P5D as no faster than the old P5. And, everyone who has done independent wind tunnel tests has shown that a smartly-equipped rim brake bike (Tririg Omegas) with an equal aero bar matches the disk-brake Uber-bikes. Hell, an old B16 with careful setup is as fast as anything. And in tri, wet weather and tricky descents are vanishingly rare.

Given a dream bike purchase, I’d go P5D. Maybe. Spending money, I’m very happy with a P2 and Hed Jets. The premium of thousands (disks are still only on the more expensive tri bikes) is not sensible.

And those test results are from ST Aerocamp at A2, ERO, and Aerocoach over in the UK, so it’s not one person with outlier results. Disks may get faster, but no one testing for their own max speed has seen it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-03-20, 11:26 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I got tired of going through expensive rims every 2-3 years. I also live in an area ripe with twisty 10-15% grade downhills that end at stop signs, and I like to go fast. I'm also racing the Belgian Waffle Ride this year, and I've heard horror stories of massive blistering and clawhands for days afterwards due to what is required to operate rim brakes during that race.

For the type of riding/racing I do, disc brakes were a no-brainer.
Old 01-03-20, 11:51 AM
DaveSSS 

Is the severe rim wear due to riding in the wet? My 7 years of continuous riding in the Colorado mountains never caused any significant rim wear, but I never ride in the wet. I've never worn out a pair of rim brake pads either.
Old 01-03-20, 12:13 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Is the severe rim wear due to riding in the wet? My 7 years of continuous riding in the Colorado mountains never caused any significant rim wear, but I never ride in the wet. I've never worn out a pair of rim brake pads either.
I rarely ride in the wet. I'm a fair-weather guy

I spent 8 years in Littleton, CO riding into the mountains and never had issues with rim wear. I also spent almost 20 years riding the mountains of MT and still didn't have issues. It wasn't until I moved to Oregon that I started to blow through rims. They build the roads here in western Oregon without snow in mind, so they tend to be steeper, twistier, and there is a shocking amount of downhills that end at stop signs that require braking from 45+mph to a dead stop on a downhill slope.

Example:

My average speed for this segment was 43.5 mph, and it ends at a stop sign on a ~19% downhill grade. That's a tremendous amount of energy to impart into rim brakes, and the smell coming off of the pads was enough to tell me that rim brakes simply aren't enough for me.

Old 01-03-20, 12:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I've had the fun situation of melting my rim brakes on descents before. I also wanted carbon wheels without the sloppy breaking or heat build-up issue, so I decided to go disc brake with carbon wheels. I have fabulous breaking in every condition (it makes me laugh when everyone has to start braking farrr ahead of time on a rainy downhill, or refuses to go through a puddle blocking the road for fear of losing traction on their next descent).

You seem to be 100% against the idea that disc brakes on a road bike are a good idea and are leaning into the conspiracy that they only appear to be a good idea because of the on-going commercial efforts by most of the companies designing them, not because they are actually any improvement. Realistically though, I have two race bikes, one with alloy wheels and ultegra rim brakes, the other with carbon wheels and 105 hydraulic disc brakes (Dura-Ace rotors, however, for the bling) and I'd say on a regular sunny day, they don't feel much different, but when almost any inclement weather starts or I have to descend some unfamiliar 2000ft of switchbacks, there's simply no comparison.

So, have fun not buying into the marketing, but rim brakes are about as good as disc brakes when it's dry, sunny, you're using alloy wheels, you have fresh breaks, and you don't plan on actually using them much on long descents. However, if you want near-perfect stopping power in all conditions with carbon wheels, then discs are a no brainer.

As for maintenance, I've had to replace rim brake pads a couple of times a season but have literally not touched my disc brakes whatsoever, never adjusted them, never bled them, just rode and rode and rode with confidence.

From what I can tell, the tallest thing in Wisconsin is ~400' so you must both get out of town a lot, and ride your breaks (sic) to the extreme.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.