Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Screen protector help wanted

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 07:23 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts

Just acquired a new Garmin Edge Explore (010-02029-00) and wondering if a screen protector is a good idea.

Any specific recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Old 01-08-20, 10:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I put a screen protector on all my bike computers. I buy them at best buy or like store as the generic size that you can cut to shape.

I don't know if its really necessary but I think personally its a great idea.
Old 01-08-20, 11:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
The screen protector on my phone has saved it a couple times, but I don't try to use the phone with gloves on (as I do my GPS in the winter). How does the screen protector on a GPS work with gloves?
Old 01-08-20, 12:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I would expect that a cycling GPS would be less likely to be scratched than a general recreation GPS if you kept the GPS on the bike. But if you frequently take it off bike then it depends on how careful you are with it off the bike. My bike computers (non-GPS) that stay on the bikes never get scratched to the point where I notice it.

I can't comment on the Garmin Edge, I use general recreation GPS units like the Garmin 60CSX, 62S, 64, etc. And a general recreation GPS gets tossed around when backpacking, kayaking, etc. Thus my GPS units likely see much more abuse than most cycling GPS units. When I am bike touring, I take the GPS off the bike in the campsite and often take it off the bike when I go in restaurants or grocery stores, it does get a bit scratched up then.

I got some deep scratches in my 62S screen that were too deep to polish out. Since then I have used 2 inch wide clear packing tape on my GPS units as screen protectors. I put tape on my 64 on the day I received it. Have replaced the tape several times when it gets scratched up. It is hard to get tape on the screen with no air bubbles under the tape, but the smallest bubbles disappear after a few weeks. When I replace the tape, I use a few drops of Coleman stove fuel as a solvent to clean off old tape adhesive.