Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell my bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 03:27 AM
iftkwoody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a nukeproof am 275 Pro 2014 and am looking to sell to get as much as I can for it.

Where would you recommend I sell it and how much should I be asking for it?

It's just had a new cane creek double barrel coil rear shock fitted which cost nearly 500 on its own.

Another thing would I be better selling it stripped and piece by piece?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-17, 06:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
craigslist.
ebay.

and whether its best to strip or sell whole depends on the components on the bike and their current condition as well as how much effort you put into advertising them.
Old 10-25-17, 08:56 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
I think you'll have more luck selling a complete bike vs. stripping it and selling components. You may get more selling components (if you sell them all) but it's going to take a lot longer, and if they don't all sell, you're stuck with an incomplete bike.

No matter where you advertise, be ready to negotiate on price.
Old 10-25-17, 09:42 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Where you're located has a HUGE bearing on how to effectively sell your bike. What country are you in? Major urban area? Rural? Something in-between?

If you're in a major population center, you may have a sizable pool of potential buyers locally, so advertising on sites like Craigslist, Kijiji, or Facebook marketplace can help you find buyers. On the other hand, if you're in the middle of a billion-acre cornfield, something like eBay may help you find a bigger market.
Likes For SkyDog75:
Old 10-25-17, 12:42 PM
iftkwoody

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I have listed her on eBay but they will take 10% 😱😱😱

I'll advertise on other sites and see what interest I get
Old 10-25-17, 09:15 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Pinkbike
Old 10-27-17, 10:18 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Craigslist drives me crazy. I've got one on there now, and if I've gotten 30 emails, 27 of them have been scams: I'm currently out of town but I have no problem with the asking price of your ITEM...

Or "is your bike still for sell and what's your bottom dollar?" I respond and get no reply whatsoever. So, I would avoid Craigslist.
Old 10-27-17, 10:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On Consignment at your LBS. Pricey bikes sell slow, cheap ones sell fast..
Old 10-28-17, 07:19 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Pinkbike
I find that pinkbike buy and sell gets an audience willing to spend for quality.
Old 10-29-17, 08:07 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd list on Craigslist first. It can be a huge PITA, but it's free, you don't have to ship, and they don't take a cut. It's pretty easy to weed out scammers and people who aren't serious. It does take time, though.

As mentioned, a lot depends on the local market.
Old 10-29-17, 08:30 AM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
Craigslist drives me crazy. I've got one on there now, and if I've gotten 30 emails, 27 of them have been scams: I'm currently out of town but I have no problem with the asking price of your ITEM...

Or "is your bike still for sell and what's your bottom dollar?" I respond and get no reply whatsoever. So, I would avoid Craigslist.
My experience... learned the hard way... is that Craigslist works great if you are willing to place a phone number with the ad. If e-mail is the only method of contact nothing at all will come of the placement.
Old 10-29-17, 05:19 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbarcs
My experience... learned the hard way... is that Craigslist works great if you are willing to place a phone number with the ad. If e-mail is the only method of contact nothing at all will come of the placement.
I've found just the opposite. Despite my current issues, I have sold multiple cars and bikes by listing only an email. I have found that it cuts down on the replies some, but when I put my phone number on there, I am inundated with BS texts and calls. I can weed through the BS with emails a bit better. If I think the buyer is serious, I will send them my number.
Old 10-29-17, 05:40 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
I've found just the opposite. Despite my current issues, I have sold multiple cars and bikes by listing only an email. I have found that it cuts down on the replies some, but when I put my phone number on there, I am inundated with BS texts and calls. I can weed through the BS with emails a bit better. If I think the buyer is serious, I will send them my number.
Which proves that I am wrong.
Old 10-30-17, 08:00 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I recently listed a couple of bikes on Craigslist and sold one at asking price and changed my mind on the other one and took it off the listing. Fortunately I didn't run into much in the way of scammers other than a few people telling me that my price was significantly over blue book value.
Old 01-02-20, 07:48 PM
mosso

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinkbike has the best website to post or search what you need. Far better than any other site. It caters to more mid to high bikes and parts which is great. So you would think this is the best place to sell something. Nope. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I have far more success on Kijiji. I avoid Craigslist. I still post on on Pinkbike only to see lot of views but no offers even when I competitively price whatever I sell far lower than the average and I keep going until someone gets off their couch and makes an offer. My tactic is to start with pinkbike first, price it to sell than after some time, I post on Kijiji where it ultimately sells. Maybe humoring myself I guess. I really don't understand what Pinkbike folks are doing. Just killing time like flipping through a magazine? I'm more than happy to mark it sold on there after selling on Kijiji. Now this is most of the time for me. I have sold on Pinkbike.
Old 01-02-20, 08:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
How much are you asking?
Old 01-02-20, 09:50 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
DON'T list your phone number! With spam email it is much easier to deal on your terms.

Some years ago CL was good. But recently FB is much better. FB people also are more responsive.

I list for sale items on both because it is free, but can't even remember the last time CL generated an inquiry.

Surprisingly many small items sold to far away requiring shipping. I just add the $8 to the price for shipping.
Old 01-02-20, 10:08 PM
mosso

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
DON'T list your phone number! With spam email it is much easier to deal on your terms.

Some years ago CL was good. But recently FB is much better. FB people also are more responsive.

I list for sale items on both because it is free, but can't even remember the last time CL generated an inquiry.

Surprisingly many small items sold to far away requiring shipping. I just add the $8 to the price for shipping.
You're' right. I've used Facebook just recently and had replies on there but I find it cluttered and difficult to search things later. Pinkbike is so easy, clean and organized. I was disappointed a couple of times on Facebook by buyers giving such ridiculously low ball offers I would only expect by folks on Kijiji. Kijiji also has its fill of silly questions too. Have to get rid of those annoying "is it still available?" questions, etc. too.
Old 01-02-20, 10:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
2 year old thread, I think they sold the bike
Likes For dedhed: