Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trekking bars too narrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 05:33 AM
Jeremiesmith77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Trekking bars too narrow

I’m very broad-chested with long arms, about 6’5, 280. Recently, I bought a Surly LHT to replace my aluminum city bike and switched it over to trekking (butterfly) bars for extra hand positions. I love the trekking bars overall, but they are a bit more narrow that I’m accustomed. I have a long, 30 mile, round-trip commute and I enjoy multi day bike touring.

My old bike’s flat handlebars extended about 27 inches (68.5 cm) And that felt pretty comfortable, and that felt pretty comfortable, especially on the bar ends. The trekking bars, as far as I can tell, are all 60 cm wide. so, when I am riding the new bike I feel a bit cramped.

it seems to me, that there are three options:
1. Give up on the trekking bars and buy some extra long flat bars like I have on my old bike.

2. Continue looking for a set of trekking bars wider than 60 cm. (all the ones I can find seem to be exactly the same, and cheap)

3. Buy some short, straight bar ends, and attach them to the trekking bars so they extend the width of the flat section.

Has anyone else had this problem with Trekking bars?

Universal? Trekking bars specifications

Just after installing the trekking bars

LHT, side profile

120 MM bar ends
Old 12-14-19, 05:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Yep, those seem to be your choices. BTW, try to avoid clamping the top tube. Use the seatpost even if you have to adjust it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-14-19, 03:41 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
No experience, but look at the Jones bar. They offer many hand positions (wide, narrow, back, front) and come in 710 mm (you can shorten to less)