Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin watch for me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 09:14 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Garmin watch for me!

OK I've got a Edge 510 for road cycling. Usually keep it in my pack during mountain biking for safety. My wife recently signed us up for rec center and I've taken up lap swimming at pool. I don't really run, but like to walk and hike, I use my phone and strava for that usually.

My crappy timex watch broke. For awhile I was using a 25 dollar fitness tracker with the snap off band thing to recharge but as I suspected it fell off somewhere and I lost it. I was actually getting into some of it's fitness tracking functions.

Thinking of investing in a better watch with fitness tracking and since swimming laps seems to be my new winter activity I'd like functionality for that.

I'm thinking VIvoactive 3 but also the newer one with music.

A friend gave me a Forerunner 25 a couple years which is sitting on my desk. It had sit dead for a long time and barely gives me a couple hours on a full charge. On mountain bike rides it always got turned off from my wrist. When I tried to open water swim with it the signal was worthless. I know radio doesn't go through water.

I never take off my watch.

Any suggestions or thoughts on Vivoactive 3?
Old 01-04-20, 10:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I have one. I wanted to track my swimming and monitor sleep. So it works for that. I think it was off for a lap on my last swim, but I started it in the locker room, so that probably threw it off.
Old 01-05-20, 12:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't know much about the VA3, but I have a different Garmin watch and love it. It's been much more reliable than people say Edges are.
Old 01-05-20, 06:17 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I have been using a VA3 as my main watch for roughly two years now. Since it has an always on display and second hand option, depending on watch face selected, it works for my need of a second hand at work. I mainly use it for tracking my steps, stairs, and HR function. Tried using some of the workout bits (like reps in the gym), but having to peer past my glasses to interact with it quickly stopped that use. Plus, as a klutz I was banging it into things like the pool wall and gym equipment, so I stopped using it for those activities. For riding, I use a Garmin Edge so no need for it while riding.

I use cheap glass screen protectors for the watch face (klutz again) as a destructive layer and they help, as I am bad on watch crystals. The VA3 Does not have music storage, but has been updated to the model 4 which has music storage and pulse oximeter sensor. There is a VA3 with music option, but the 4 model would be more future ready and has the pulse ox. Then there is the Venu with an OLED display that looks nice with same feature set as the 4..

For the best information, suggest dcrainmaker’s website, of same name for really good reviews and recommendations.

Last edited by But its me; 01-05-20 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Typos...
Old 01-06-20, 08:52 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I bought my wife a VivoSport for Christmas and so far, she is really loving it. I got it more for the heart rate feature than the other features but it also has GPS and can be used for swimming. One of the sellers on Amazon was selling it for $60.00 off MSRP. Couldn't pass that up.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-14-20, 06:36 PM
Bothrops

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX3, 1988 Raleigh Flashpointe, 2019 Trek Verve +

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have been using a VA3 since October and it works ok for steps, HR and I like it for tracking cycling/ walking miles BUT it is terribly inconsistent in tracking floors climbed. I do a workout where I climb 3 flights of stairs 3X, then walk a half mile and come back and do 3X3. Today is a good example of how wonky the VA3 is. Doing the first set, it recorded 8 flights. Ok, sounds good. After the second set of 3X3, I checked the Garmin and it still showed 8 flights. It didn’t pick up any of the second set.
Other than that it functions fine.
Old 01-30-20, 07:43 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire paried with Garmin Cadence Sensor 2.
Very happy with the combo.