Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern X30 - Second hand Question

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 08:52 PM
guym458

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can get one for a good price, owned by one person since 2013 and appears to be in excellent condition, What risk am i running into purchasing a second hand X30 in specific? i'm basically looking for a nice bike to ride around the park on weekends, Is the ride comfortable on the X30? Would you guys recommend the model? i'd appreciate any input,

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-04-18, 09:28 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Stay away. It's a good price because Tern had a big problem with broken frames and the recall program was spotty at best. Unless you can see paperwork proving the frame was replaced, forget it. If they tell you it wasn't part of the recall, forget it. I wouldn't trust any Tern from before about 2016 that hasn't had a frame replacement from the company.
Old 10-04-18, 09:34 PM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Stay away. It's a good price because Tern had a big problem with broken frames and the recall program was spotty at best. Unless you can see paperwork proving the frame was replaced, forget it. If they tell you it wasn't part of the recall, forget it. I wouldn't trust any Tern from before about 2016 that hasn't had a frame replacement from the company.
Oh wow that changed my entire perspective, i was dead set on purchasing the bike this weekend but i guess i won't be getting it now, the seller has been claiming its an extremely solid and durable bike and stands very proud with his words praising the bike and had mentioned nothing about a recall of any sort, So i should stay away 100% even if i can get this pristine X30 for a really good price? the seller said he had the bike serviced last month and all checked out in excellent condition, i had to negotiate on the price with the seller quite a bit and the seller didn't seem to be in any rush to sell it so i felt good being able to negotiate it down to a good price but the entire reason for me wanting to purchase a Tern was because of the quality they are known for and the ability to have a great folding bike incase i ever decide to store it aside but i had no clue they had quality issues especially on this super high end bike model (the verge X30 is considered high end right?)

Last edited by guym458; 10-04-18 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 10:18 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Yes it's a high end model, but that frame was shared on a bunch of them. You can't just take my word for it, though, so search "Tern recall" and decide for yourself. Personally I can't do it; I was around for the whole drama at the time and I couldn't bring myself to ride that thing while worrying if it's going to snap. I think it's borderline criminal that a folding bike company had so little control of the build quality of their frames.
Old 10-04-18, 10:32 PM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yes it's a high end model, but that frame was shared on a bunch of them. You can't just take my word for it, though, so search "Tern recall" and decide for yourself. Personally I can't do it; I was around for the whole drama at the time and I couldn't bring myself to ride that thing while worrying if it's going to snap. I think it's borderline criminal that a folding bike company had so little control of the build quality of their frames.
That does sound like a serious concern and a deal breaker, I messaged the seller to ask him whether he had any info on the recall and he said that he thought the recall was only for the Link Models and that he thought the Verge line was excluded however I sent him the news article from bicycleretailer dot com which states that the verge line was part of the recall
Old 10-04-18, 11:49 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tern has somewhere that you can check your serial number to see if it is part of the bad batch affected by the recall. Or if you want even more detailed info, contact the US Tern distributor. They are good guys and will give you a no-BS assessment. You can ask them for opinions/options about frame replacement.
Old 10-05-18, 02:42 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Two problems with the old Terns. Frame may snap at hinge, and the hinge bolt may break (see the url below).

​​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...inge-bolt.html

Old 10-05-18, 06:35 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Tern has somewhere that you can check your serial number to see if it is part of the bad batch affected by the recall. Or if you want even more detailed info, contact the US Tern distributor. They are good guys and will give you a no-BS assessment. You can ask them for opinions/options about frame replacement.
i asked the seller of the x30 I am considering to purchase to contact tern today to find out whether his serial number was affected by the recall and he said he should find out today, if the serial check comes out as being clear and that his specific x30 was not affected, is it a good deal to go ahead and purchase the x30 for $950?(is this a fair price?)
What are some other reasons you guys might advice against purchasing the x30 model? I am a novice and a newbie when it comes to maintaining a bike or any sort of bike for that matter but from what I’ve read about the ownership of these folding terns it entails just keeping the chain belt and gears lubricated just as with any bike and it should be good to go right? I shouldn’t expect any expensive repairs or anything like that right?

Last edited by guym458; 10-05-18 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 07:15 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
$950 is high for a 2013 X30. There were a number of recalls on the frame extending into 2016. If you are looking for things to consider, consider the low spoke count front wheel. There were many problems with broken spokes and cracked rims. Although a very good hub, the SRAM dual drive hub is discontinued. The bike will be a hard riding bike due to the high pressure tires with limited tire clearance for larger tires due to the caliper brakes. So consider the types of roads you will be riding.

Have you test ridden this X30 for any distance?

https://www.bikefolded.com/tern-verg...ikes-recalled/
Old 10-05-18, 07:26 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
$950 is high for a 2013 X30. There were a number of recalls on the frame extending into 2016. If you are looking for things to consider, consider the low spoke count front wheel. There were many problems with broken spokes and cracked rims. Although a very good hub, the SRAM dual drive hub is discontinued. The bike will be a hard riding bike due to the high pressure tires with limited tire clearance for larger tires due to the caliper brakes. So consider the types of roads you will be riding.

Have you test ridden this X30 for any distance?
No I did not test drive it, what price would be considered a great deal on an x30? I plan on just riding around the park, how is 950 too high though considering the $2000+ original price tag of this model? The seller says that it’s a “rare gem” and that I won’t see one like this anywhere on the road,
Old 10-05-18, 10:00 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by guym458

No I did not test drive it, what price would be considered a great deal on an x30? I plan on just riding around the park, how is 950 too high though considering the $2000+ original price tag of this model? The seller says that it’s a “rare gem” and that I won’t see one like this anywhere on the road,
"Rare gem" is hogwash, it's just a folding bike with fiddly wheels, an obsolete (and heavy) shifting system and a horrendous reputation for that company. It's worth maybe $500, which I still wouldn't pay. IMO you'd be better off with something like a Dahon Speed 8 or Mariner, which are also in the $500 range.
Old 10-05-18, 09:58 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another perspective: I had one and found it to ride impressively... fast and responsive. Unfortunately, for my age and body (much abused 70 y.o) it was too stiff so I gave it to my son. He found the components to be of a pleasingly high quality. The frame was replaced without difficulty under warranty. My son still rides the bike when he needs access to a "folder".

I have no comment to offer about pricing.
Old 10-06-18, 06:34 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called the deal off due to the scary comments I received in the beginning of this thread so I won’t be purchasing the x30, do you recommend that I purchase a used Tern C8 for about $400? Are these prone to the recall as well? How about a used dahon Mu P8 for about $300, is that a good deal?

Last edited by guym458; 10-06-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 08:30 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The Dahon is a better deal if the bike fits you. Deals are worthless if the bike doesn't fit. Roger
Old 10-06-18, 08:32 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
The Dahon is a better deal if the bike fits you. Deals are worthless if the bike doesn't fit. Roger
I’m 5”5 in height, Why is the dahon p8(appears used but in good condition) for $300 a better deal than a Tern c8(like new) for $400 aside from the price difference?
Old 10-06-18, 10:50 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 599 Posts

I’m 5”5 in height, Why is the dahon p8(appears used but in good condition) for $300 a better deal than a Tern c8(like new) for $400 aside from the price difference?
There is no difference, other than mistrust of the Tern branding. Both folders are size adjustable.
Old 10-06-18, 10:54 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
There is no difference, other than mistrust of the Tern branding. Both folders are size adjustable.
which gearshift system is better and more reliable for casual weekend riding around the park, The one on the Tern X30 or the one on the Tern C8? I don’t want to buy the dahon I mentioned in the previous post.
Old 10-06-18, 11:01 AM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a Tern recall on the Link series .

https://www.ternbicycles.com/2014-li...ry-recall-faqs

The Dahon Mu series has been reliable through the years. The 'P' designation indicates Dahon's Premium component group..

What model year(s) are these bikes?

What's your location? For a couple hundred more dollars, you're into brand new bikes from either manufacturer.
Old 10-06-18, 11:02 AM
berlinonaut

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I’m 5”5 in height, Why is the dahon p8(appears used but in good condition) for $300 a Tbetter deal than a Tern c8(like new) for $400 aside from the price difference?
Possibly because a bunch of people here in the forum like Dahon over Tern (not for technical but personal and subjective reasons) and some are almost hysterical about the past issues with breaking Tern frames and consider buying or riding a Tern equal to comitting suicide. So asking here for differences or which one is better may quickly end up in a flame war w/o any use to the original question...

As far as I can judge Dahon and Tern seem to be more or less par on what you get for your money.

Dahon has a far longer history and a very confusing lineup of models, not only over the years but also in parallel and even more if you look at different countries - the same models are often not the same models, technical data ist vague (at best), plain wrong (somtimes) or missing (often). The quality seems not always to be as good as some people here in the forum claim but generally they seem to be good bang for the buck - still you get what you pay for.
Tern on the other hand wanted to be more innovative and customer oriented than Dahon. They shoot themselves in the foot with the breaking frames shortly after their market entry and their far-from-perfect dealing with that. The number of bikes affected seems to be only a fraction of their production. However - many Tern riders have been in fear for years if their bike will brake at some point. Still today I'd have no issues buying a (new) Tern, if one would suit me - I'd assume they have learned their lesson. In general Terns often seem to be slightly more expensive than Dahon and their model range is smaller. If you stay in the mainstream range of the two companies - 20" geared folders like Tern Link, Dahon Speed, Dahon Vybe Tern Verge and Dahon Vitesse they should be pretty comparable. If one of those fits you sizewise the others will probably as well.

Still even within these models quality may differ vastly depending on the submodel. But for a "ride around the park" there should be no issues with any of the bikes. The Dahon model range is very confusing - one recent addition that looks interesting if you like the Dahon/Tern style of folders is the Hemingway: DAHON Hemingway D9 20? |
Old 10-06-18, 11:22 AM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That Hemingway D9 looks good! Not on the USA site yet, maybe next year.
Old 10-06-18, 11:50 AM
guym458

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still don’t understand though, why is the x30 not a good buy? Isn’t it a class above the C8 and all the other midrange bikes in terms of quality? The seller has contacted tern and provided them with the service ticket number and said that they got back to him that the frame was not affected by the recall

Last edited by guym458; 10-06-18 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 12:25 PM
berlinonaut

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I still don’t understand though, why is the x30 not a good buy? Isn’t it a class above the C8 and all the other midrange bikes in terms of quality? The seller has contacted tern and provided them with the service ticket number and said that they got back to him that the frame was not affected by the recall
As I said before: Some people consider ANY Tern a bad buy. No rationals involved. However: Even I would have doubts buying a used Tern from that early period when frames were braking - for the simple reasons that the recalls have been extended several times and it seems that there were issues outside the recalls as well and some even with bikes that got clearance from Tern before. Probably there will be no issue in reality with the bike in question but I would still have a slightly uncomfortable feeling as the issues have not been cleared out fully and transparently. Not even if you spent considerable time digging through the net to find out what's up. I did that, so I know what I'm talking about. So why bother with that when there are plenty of alternatives?

So IF the X30 in question dates from that period I personally would stay away. So this is the first thing you should clarify: When was this thing built? (Built, not bought)

​​​​​​Other than that if I remember correctly the X30 is a bit of a perfomance bike which seems unneccesary for what you intend to do with it. Often the highest spec bikes from Tern and Dahon have i.e. 20-spoke front wheels which are less longlasting than the normal ones and you may face issues getting a new rim. Stuff like that. If you are willing and able to pay 950$ for your folder you could easily get a brand new one for that money that is not even close to low spec. In my eyes probably the better deal in your case. I'm more at home in the Brompton world, so I cannot provide you with specific models or experiendes with those.
Old 10-06-18, 12:26 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
IMHO, a used 5 or 6 year old X30 is not a good buy at anything over $500 due to the multiple frame recalls on the X30 model. Some frames outside of the production number recalls also failed. First hand user reports and pictures were on the Tern message message site before it was revamped. All of the x30s didn't break, but enough did to cause serious concern. So you might be okay with a frame that won't fail at the hinge and break in two, but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium price on a roll of the dice.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...s#.W7j9biNVkV0
Old 10-06-18, 12:39 PM
Joe Remi

Berlinaut, you can't call people hysterical and not rational about Tern fears, then agree with them. Pick a lane.
Old 10-06-18, 12:44 PM
Joe Remi

To the OP: If you're willing to spend around $1000, you might find a nice used Brompton which would be perfect for the kind of riding you want to do. I use mine for shortish town rides and shopping runs, then fold it up nice and compact in my apartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.