Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A new Martelly project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A new Martelly project

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 05:47 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
A new Martelly project

Recently I bought this really nice Martelly frame. Paint and chrome in superb condition and suitable for a Campagnolo Chorus 8 speed Ergopower group I had laying around. It has the eyelets on the frame for the cable routing so I suspect it has to be mid '90s. But it is made from Super Vitus 983 tubing, isn't that from the '80s? Can anyone conform this, or get me in touch with Martelly? Google can't help me with contact details.

Old 04-24-24, 06:03 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts
Nice, something you don't see often. I'll look in my email when I get home tonight and see how I contacted them years ago. He did respond to me and told me what year mine was when I sent him some pictures. Mine was a 1985. Here's a picture of how I had it set up when I stupidly sold it.

Here's a gallery of detailed pics is you want to try and compare things. Eddy didn't know how mine wound up with the crazy fade paint job or the Ribble decals.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/martelly

I'll check back in this evening an let you know if I found the email. I seem to remember finding and active webpage and getting contact info from there. At the time he still had frames available for sale.
Old 04-24-24, 06:43 AM
Hajo

Thank you, hope you still have an email adress. Nice looking bike, a bit niche colours but the lugs look the same as on my bike.
Old 04-24-24, 08:15 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts
Found it.
martelly@skynet.be

My last email with Eddy was back in 2020. As a courtesy when I contact overseas builders I use google translate on the first simple email to convert to their language. Then if they respond in english I'll continue that way. I've had good luck with receiving responses from the foreign builders doing this.

Hope the email is still good.

This old post may help too with a link to the site. Couldn't validate that it works still while at work.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...age-steel.html
Old 04-24-24, 08:43 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Nice looking frame!

Old 04-24-24, 10:40 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 329 Posts
Ive got a Martelly frame hanging in the garage rafters . Its an old beat up Diamant race frame ,excellent quality .
Old 04-25-24, 12:45 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 4,633 Times in 1,774 Posts
Beautiful frame. Looking forward to seeing it built up!

Old 04-25-24, 11:22 AM
Hajo

Email has been sent. I once contacted Eddy Martens before about a Loverdi frame so I used a different email adress that I used before via his contact form on his (non-existing) website. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-25-24, 12:34 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 542 Posts
Supervitus 983 was the slightly heavier gauge version of the 980 tubeset. It was made for builders and bike companies that wanted a stiffer frame than if it was made from the lighter 980 version.
The 983 tubesets were used by bike companies like Gitane on their mod 80's bikes.
IIRC, the Supervitus tubesets were supposedly heat treated like Reynolds 753 tubing. Which they are sometimes compared to.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-28-24, 10:34 AM
Hajo

Ah that is still a bit odd than. 753 tubing was cancelled during the 80's if I am correct. My frame is all about the 90's, with its 130 mm rear spacing and eyelets for shifter cables. Also the paintjob is not actually 80's. 2 Options I suppose, either an 80's frame that was updated in the 90's, or it is a 90's frame but built with older tubing.

Unfortunately no response from mr. Martens yet.