Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 05:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Vegetables and fruits too. It's tough to go wrong with natural unprocessed foods (of the type humans were intended to eat) due to the fiber content, there only so much of them you can eat. It's difficult to over-eat them, nearly impossible.
I find I have to be very careful with dried fruit --it's very easy to eat a lot and they are calorie dense.
Old 03-09-19, 05:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
What false information ??....It's a fact that ancient humans have been eating various types of carbohydrates for thousands of years, long before agriculture and farming became mainstream.
There's a grain (no pun) of truth in this-- there was a move among mainstream nutritionists and the govt. to promote a diet high in complex carbs and very low fat, and it turned out to be disastrously bad advice for most people. This has now created a backlash where people are vilifying any carb intake, which is probably at least as bad advice.
Old 03-09-19, 06:00 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Make sure you get your 6-11 servings of bread and pasta per day:

Old 03-09-19, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Some pyramids are less enduring than others: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...oodbye-pyramid
Old 03-09-19, 08:02 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts

Like 0 servings of bread and pasta. And cut out the fruits, they are stuffed with sugar.
This is the pyramid that is causing the obesity epidemic.
Old 03-09-19, 08:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Here:

https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/
Old 03-09-19, 08:24 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by Machka
That is better than the American one.

Australia is here.

https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/guid...healthy-eating

I notice Oz has beer in the sidebar underneath the main plate. I thought it would have been more prominent.
Both Canada and Australia have too many grains and lack saturated fat which is protective for your heart.
Old 03-09-19, 08:35 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Like 0 servings of bread and pasta. And cut out the fruits, they are stuffed with sugar.
If a significant number of people actually followed these guidelines you'd be right. But they didn't, so no, it isn't the cause of the obesity epidemic.
Both Canada and Australia have too many grains and lack saturated fat which is protective for your heart.
You need to stop spreading misinformation.
Old 03-09-19, 08:57 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Juicing makes excess fruit intake pretty easy, and french fries are vegetables too, so I probably would drop the qualifiers.

When they were researching props for Mad Men, they realized they had to scale down almost all of the foods, especially pastries and breads. They had to make little bagels and danish, for example, because pretty much no bakeries do so anymore.

When I was losing weight by controlling calorie intake only, I pretty much never ate out because the servings of carbs were always so absurd. If I'm eating with someone who orders fries, I have noticed that they have turned into some kind of loss leader with a really low price for a huge portion. I think 5Guys started this, and it seems to be becoming a universal. I honestly can't think of a worse food to binge on.

BTW, I don't make pasta or rice at home because I find I have no limits on how much I can eat. Refined (white) starches really aren't metabolized significantly slower than sugar. The false belief that they were was one of the fallacies that led to the high carb/low fat disaster.
I didn't mean you can't get fat on excess fruit and vegetables, but rather those are the only things people, on average, don't eat too much of.
Old 03-09-19, 11:10 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by OBoile
If a significant number of people actually followed these guidelines you'd be right. But they didn't, so no, it isn't the cause of the obesity epidemic.

Sorry but its not misinformation. The old idea promoted by the dietary guidelines that fat is bad, has been superseded by data that shows the opposite.
  • “Above 40% carb we see a steep increase in CHD risk. Fats are protective.
  • “Contrary to common belief the current recommendation to reduce saturated fat has no scientific basis.”
  • “You must have heard of the book Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz. She shook up the nutrition world. But she got it right.”
https://www.dietdoctor.com/world-hea...-carbs-harmful

Dr Malhotra says: “Recent prospective cohort studies have not supported any significant association between saturated fat intake and cardiovascular risk. Instead, saturated fat has been found to be protective”.Dr Malhotra also points out that, “Despite the common belief that high cholesterol is a significant risk factor for coronary artery disease, several independent population studies in healthy adults have shown that low total cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular and non-cardiac mortality, indicating that high total cholesterol is not a risk factor in a healthy population”.As a good cardiologist, he adds, “The government’s obsession with levels of total cholesterol, which has led to the overmedication of millions of people with statins, has diverted our attention from the more egregious risk factor of atherogenic dyslipidaemia”.

Dr Malhotra refreshingly highlights that avoidance of sugar is key to the prevention of metabolic syndrome, which he describes as, “The cluster of hypertension, dysglycaemia, raised triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, and increased waist circumference”. He clearly advocates the use of the Mediterranean diet, which he suggests is three times more powerful than taking a statin.
https://www.naturalhealthnews.uk/art...dical-journal/

Really the topic is too complex to discuss here, but I urge people to educate themselves. Your life may depend on it.

As to losing weight by cycling...ride your bike lots...don't eat carbs or sugar..it sounds easy but its hard in real life.
Old 03-09-19, 11:17 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I didn't mean you can't get fat on excess fruit and vegetables, but rather those are the only things people, on average, don't eat too much of.
You're right, nobody eats apples by the bags.
Old 03-09-19, 11:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

In a year or two, she/he will realise and will come round to a more balanced way of eating. Most people don't stick with keto for very long.
Old 03-10-19, 03:03 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
You're not serious are you? There's nothing wrong with whole grain breads or pasta given the right number of portions / day (agree the pyramid has too many portions), same with fruit. This type of advice for a diet is really bad and not healthy. Portion control and processed food including sugary drinks are what is causing the obesity epidemic.

I wish people would read up on nutrition please before giving advice

A suggested read is "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald.
Old 03-10-19, 03:54 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
No one has ever gotten fat from eating too much fruit. Please just stop.
Old 03-10-19, 06:50 AM
OBoile

Sorry but its not misinformation. The old idea promoted by the dietary guidelines that fat is bad, has been superseded by data that shows the opposite.
  • “Above 40% carb we see a steep increase in CHD risk. Fats are protective.
  • “Contrary to common belief the current recommendation to reduce saturated fat has no scientific basis.”
  • “You must have heard of the book Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz. She shook up the nutrition world. But she got it right.”
https://www.dietdoctor.com/world-hea...-carbs-harmful

https://www.naturalhealthnews.uk/art...dical-journal/

Really the topic is too complex to discuss here, but I urge people to educate themselves. Your life may depend on it.

As to losing weight by cycling...ride your bike lots...don't eat carbs or sugar..it sounds easy but its hard in real life.
Originally Posted by Machka
In a year or two, she/he will realise and will come round to a more balanced way of eating. Most people don't stick with keto for very long.
Probably. Most ridiculously over the top dogmatic nutrition people do eventually. The problem is how many people does he drag down to his level before he realizes he's wrong?
Old 03-10-19, 08:42 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
How about one more approach going on the pile?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...-diabetes.html
Old 03-10-19, 08:46 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

"Food Pyramids!'
Old 03-10-19, 12:12 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
So funny to me to see all the expert opinions and the ever changing diet recommendations as the science of nutrition evolves. "Don' t eat too much fruit, it's stuffed with sugar".
Old 03-10-19, 12:15 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I'm doing pretty well so far, mostly just logging everything I eat, and ensuring I burn more than I take in. I have a thread on it.
I chose not to pursue any of the fad or specialty diets, preferring to eat normally without over-doing it like I used to, and ramping up my activity to help.

Over 75 lbs down now, and now within the factory rider weight limit on all but one of my bikes.
Old 03-10-19, 12:53 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by venturi95
So funny to me to see all the expert opinions and the ever changing diet recommendations as the science of nutrition evolves. "Don' t eat too much fruit, it's stuffed with sugar".
It's true. The conventional wisdom is slow to change, but change it does. People should make up their own minds, we all have access to the latest research if we choose to engage with it.
Old 03-10-19, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This is a topic for a bigger discussion, but I don't think "on average" really means anything when it comes to diet.

Lots of people take in enormous amounts of calories from fruit, especially in liquid form. Even in whole form, it's very easy for some of us, myself included, to over-indulge in items like cherries and grapes.
Old 03-10-19, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
How about one more approach going on the pile?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...-diabetes.html
The article references a study that seems to explain why every single diet plan has such a miserable rate of success, that there's huge variation in how types of food are metabolized by different people. The surprising part was the indication of just how much differences in the biome correlate with differences in metabolism.

The research into type 2 diabetes in India is pointing towards epigenetic factors playing a big role as well --the nutritional status of your grandmother as she was gestating your mother may actually play a big role in determining your metabolism!

It's why I resorted to trial and error in losing my weight. I just found that much of stuff I was told worked for other people was simply useless for me.
Old 03-10-19, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by velojym
I'm doing pretty well so far, mostly just logging everything I eat, and ensuring I burn more than I take in. I have a thread on it.
I chose not to pursue any of the fad or specialty diets, preferring to eat normally without over-doing it like I used to, and ramping up my activity to help.

Over 75 lbs down now, and now within the factory rider weight limit on all but one of my bikes.

That's great! You and I are probably really good examples of how one thing that works for one person doesn't work for another. I couldn't just cut back on quantity, I had to cut out a bunch of stuff I really can't eat responsibly on a regular basis. Exhibit A: pizza.
Old 03-10-19, 03:27 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym

Congratulations! I lost just shy of 50 pounds 3 years ago doing exactly that - and I've kept my weight down since then by maintaining an awareness of the amount of calories I consume vs burning. I'm now at an ideal weight and just maintain.

I find it easily sustainable and I'm not denying myself any foods that I want, I just have to factor in the calorie hit if I'm "splurging" on a night out or whatever.

And, for what it's worth, I eat a relative high carb diet. I get that some people find it easier to get into a calorie deficit by reducing carbs, but there's nothing magic about reducing carb consumption: if you eat more than you burn you're gaining weight regardless of macros.

Likewise if you burn more than you consume you'll lose. This is simply physics, no need to make it more complicated than that.
Old 03-10-19, 03:33 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is a topic for a bigger discussion, but I don't think "on average" really means anything when it comes to diet.

Lots of people take in enormous amounts of calories from fruit, especially in liquid form. Even in whole form, it's very easy for some of us, myself included, to over-indulge in items like cherries and grapes.
Come on man. There's like maybe 5 people out there who got morbidly obese from eating too much fruit. Grapes have like 2/3 (and cherries even less) of a calorie per gram. Unless you're eating like a kg per day, you're not over-indulging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.