Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When building a road bike, how much relative should frame, wheels, and groupset cost?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When building a road bike, how much relative should frame, wheels, and groupset cost?

Old 10-02-19, 10:42 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Let's say you're building up a new road bike (not used) with ~$1,500 budget, how would you split the cost? Obviously there are many "it depends" qualifiers, but for example I feel you shouldn't spend more money on wheels than you do on a frame. How does this seem for a reasonable breakdown?

Frame: $700
Wheels: $400
Groupset/components: $400

Discuss.
Old 10-02-19, 10:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Short answer is, it depends on what you want. What's the goal of this built?

1500$ won't get you really far, especially if you spend only 400$ on groupset AND all components. The components (excluding wheels) are usually equivalent to or more expensive than the frame itself.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but at that budget (and since money seems to be part of the equation) you should probably just buy a complete one full price or on sale. You'd get 2-3 times more ''bang for the buck''.
Old 10-02-19, 10:56 AM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Ok maybe $1500 wasn't great for this hypothetical situation, what if the budget is $2000?

You say it depends on the goal of the build... what depends? Is qualifying it as a 'road bike' as opposed to a 'gravel' or 'touring' bike not qualifier enough? I'm just interested in costs of parts relative to each other, not the overall budget.
Old 10-02-19, 11:45 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
If you have an actual reason to build the bike up yourself, you can make those decisions for yourself. There's no generally "correct" answer.

Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
You say it depends on the goal of the build... what depends? Is qualifying it as a 'road bike' as opposed to a 'gravel' or 'touring' bike not qualifier enough?
If your goal is as vague as "I want a road bike", you'll get massively more bang for your buck just buying a road bike.

If you want us to help sort out your custom build, we'll need to know why you're doing a custom build, what you're trying to accomplish with it.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-02-19, 11:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Groupset and components are going to be your biggest cost.

You should be able to pick up a decent used aluminum frameset for around $400.
A basic wheelset will go for about $200, add another $100 for tires and tubes.
Bars, stem and post can be about $100-$150 for used, aluminum stuff.
Saddle, you want to get something decent. So, plan to spend $100-$150 there.
A groupset will probably cost you about $400.
Then figure pedals, cages... $200
Old 10-02-19, 12:08 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Ok maybe $1500 wasn't great for this hypothetical situation, what if the budget is $2000?

You say it depends on the goal of the build... what depends? Is qualifying it as a 'road bike' as opposed to a 'gravel' or 'touring' bike not qualifier enough? I'm just interested in costs of parts relative to each other, not the overall budget.

No, not really. It's like saying you want a sport car without precising which kind. A Mazda Miata could be considered a sport car. What you call a ''road bike'' can cost you 500$ or even less brand new and can get as expensive as 15-20 grands. It depends on what kind of components you want to put on the bike you're building and this will make the ''percentage ratio'' of the 3 things identified above vary a lot.

If I can give an example, Giant's top of the line carbon fibre (Advanced SL) TCR frameset is 2300$ I believe (well, last time I checked). A set of CF rims can cost over 2000$. A good Groupset can also cost 2000$ if not more. Plus another few hundreds for the rest of the components of course.

It's hard to nail an exact % of $ you need to spend in these 3 areas with that level of detail.

Last edited by eduskator; 10-02-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 12:44 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
I just built up a disc road bike and the cost was basically even thirds between the frame, groupset, and wheels/bars/stem/seat/pedals. Would have been willing to spend a lil more on the frame, but found a good deal. As mentioned, total cost depends on what frame/groupset/components you want.
Old 10-02-19, 12:52 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Buy a $2000 bike. Unless you have a lot of spare parts lying around or plan on sourcing lots of used and older stuff. Buying all new parts just to assemble them yourself is burning money.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-02-19, 02:54 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
I don't believe that one goes out and decides to just put together a bike, unless one has a specific goal in mind. Since, in my experience, it is a lot less expensive to purchase a fully spec'd bike.

Most of my bike builds start off innocently enough...I find a bike frame that I really like for a price I could not resist. The build goes from there and usually take 4 to 6 months just hunting for parts at a price point that I like. I don't go for a specific budget ratio relative to the frame.
Old 10-02-19, 03:23 PM
MichaelJH

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do decide to build the bike , look into purchasing the frame, components etc on e bay or using the Facebook Buyers Forum. I used both and found some really good deals.
Old 10-02-19, 03:27 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Probably you're asking about the ratio of costs of building a bike, but your question is ringing differently in everyone's ears -- mine included.

My first reaction is why you'd build a bike using all new components on a budget of $1,500, but maybe that number is just a placeholder. Anyway, I agree with everyone who said you'd get a lot more value buying it already assembled.

Generally, building up a new bike, I'd say you'd spend something like 2:1:1 on frame: wheels: components, but that pretty loose.

If I were to build up a $1,500 bike, and you'll allow me to use non-new parts, here's how I'd attack it:

frameset: 300 for used Trek carbon or something similar
wheels: 500 for Zipps or similar
saddle, seatpost, bars, stem, etc: 200 good saddle, carbon seatpost, alloy
group: 500 for 10-speed

Here's where I think spending more money than the cheaper option really helps, roughly in order:

1. Tires
2. Wheels
3. I'm not sure what to put next

And here's where I'd save money:
1. Handlebars, stem
2. Frame
Old 10-02-19, 03:33 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I would have no problem going $500 each for frame, group, wheels and misc.

Maybe Surly crosscheck with used 105, $500 wheels and a nice cockpit.
Give or take some.

I try have everything match value/quality wise; best bang for the buck that sort of thing.

Or I would budget for a nice $1000+ frame, build it up, and upgrade slowly.
Don't skimp on the frame. That's where it all starts.
Old 10-02-19, 04:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Let's say you're building up a new road bike (not used) with ~$1,500 budget, how would you split the cost? Obviously there are many "it depends" qualifiers, but for example I feel you shouldn't spend more money on wheels than you do on a frame. How does this seem for a reasonable breakdown?

Frame: $700
Wheels: $400
Groupset/components: $400

Discuss.
$1500

Frameset- $450
Wheels- $300
Drivetrain, cockpit, and all else- $750

I would look at buying a discontinued frame off randombikeparts, or something like New Albion Privateer. There are lots of framesets in aluminum or steel for $450 or less.
Old 10-02-19, 06:08 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Unfortunately there is no real formula for this. The price ratios are dependent upon the initial cost of the frame or conversely the component package.