Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Old 09-09-19, 01:37 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Copypaste from the general road bike thread..

Drove about 5 hours to Vancouver BC after 2 months of coordinating with the buyer (he had to drive 5+ hours to Vancouver as well) to get this Pacer. Replaced the stem and bars with some decent Ritchey components that I found used, as well as the seatpost with a Thompson that I snagged for $40. Also swapped out the brakes with a set of Ultegra 6800 caliper brakes that I found at a bike co-op (pricey but worth). Threw on my Brooks as well. Everything else is 90s Campagnolo Veloce, that functions pretty well after replacing cables + housing. The intention was to build up a semi-fast bike for commuting that could handle rain. Really fun bike! Took it on a semi-rainy century yesterday that had a good gravel stretch and everything held together quite well. Hopefully the first of many adventures on this rig

Old 09-16-19, 09:38 AM
cycledog1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Here's my Ritchey Road Logic 2.0. Been riding it as my primary road bike for the last 4 seasons. It will need a bit of a refresh this winter - the bars need to be replaced - and it will probably get some new (lighter) wheels, but I'm planning on it being back as my primary road bike next year.
so, what did you replace your wheelset with? I have the same frame, but with Mavic Ksyrium Elites, no idea what a lighter set would feel like.
Old 09-16-19, 09:45 AM
cycledog1

a treble clef could never look as good as a bass clef. well done!!
Old 09-17-19, 09:11 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Here's my Ritchey Road Logic 2.0. Been riding it as my primary road bike for the last 4 seasons. It will need a bit of a refresh this winter - the bars need to be replaced - and it will probably get some new (lighter) wheels, but I'm planning on it being back as my primary road bike next year.
Originally Posted by cycledog1
so, what did you replace your wheelset with? I have the same frame, but with Mavic Ksyrium Elites, no idea what a lighter set would feel like.
I didn't. The bars and computer were replaced and the camera taken off but circumstances didn't let me do any refreshing of the bike. It's still on the Campagnolo Record/HED Belguim+ wheels in the photo. It will definitely need some refreshing this winter as the bike got pushed into commuter duty after my commuter suffered a cracked chainstay, and that has taken a toll on the wheels, as well as the rest of the drivetrain. Amazing how tough commuting is on a bike.

I really like the HED Belguim+ rims, so I'm thinking of a mild change to DT Swiss 240 hubs with a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear. I might go with something like Campag Zonda if finances allow.
Old 09-17-19, 09:27 PM
cycledog1

I didn't. The bars and computer were replaced and the camera taken off but circumstances didn't let me do any refreshing of the bike. It's still on the Campagnolo Record/HED Belguim+ wheels in the photo. It will definitely need some refreshing this winter as the bike got pushed into commuter duty after my commuter suffered a cracked chainstay, and that has taken a toll on the wheels, as well as the rest of the drivetrain. Amazing how tough commuting is on a bike.

I really like the HED Belguim+ rims, so I'm thinking of a mild change to DT Swiss 240 hubs with a 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear. I might go with something like Campag Zonda if finances allow.
my brother has the HED belgiums, he loves them.

do you commute with out fenders, or do you live in a drier climate? nice commuter, but it would be taking a beating on bad roads. sorry to hear about your other ride's crack, that sucks.
Old 09-18-19, 07:05 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledog1
my brother has the HED belgiums, he loves them.

do you commute with out fenders, or do you live in a drier climate? nice commuter, but it would be taking a beating on bad roads. sorry to hear about your other ride's crack, that sucks.
My fast commuter was a Univega Modo frame (Columbus Thron tubes) that I purchase from someone who converted it to be an "old school" cyclocross bike. I, of course, immediately lost the front fork over a series of moves, so I had a frame with cantilevers on the rear and a carbon fork with a standard road caliper on the front. Looked weird but worked. The bike was in almost continuous use for over 19 years, accumulating almost 60k miles on it. It was a road bike at first, later it became my fast commuter, and it was usually the bike on the trainer. Loved that frame, but I knew the commuting was taking a toll on it. It owes me nothing.

As far as using the Ritchey for commuting, I slap a post mounted rack on the seatpost and off I go. That rack has scratched the heck out of the seat post (no real loss, I really dislike the single bolt clamp and wanted to replace it to get rid of a creak) but the commute includes a couple of miles of crushed limestone trails. Dust from that trail is working its way into everything, and I now need to replace a headset bearing, likely the RD, and I fear it may be getting into the Ergopower shifters as I am starting to have an issue with the left shifter. I have some clip-on fenders that I have used but I find that I get just a messy with them on as without them, and the bike actually seems cleaner without them after riding in the rain, so I just leave them off. And they didn't seem to help with the dust from the trail.

I suspect a Surly Cross-Check will be joining the stable shortly as a commuter.
Old 10-02-19, 11:25 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
New to the forum, hopefully I have enough posts to put up pictures. Here's mine, a Steelman Stage Race built in 2001. Reynolds 853, 60cm s/t and t/t, 72°-ish head and seat tube angles. Dura-Ace 7700 (with Ultegra brakes), Steelman custom 13cm stem, Ritchey bars and Easton seatpost (the Dura Ace one I originally had cracked). Turbomatic4 saddle.

Old 10-02-19, 11:38 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
That's really clean
Likes For superdex:
Old 10-02-19, 11:59 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I have to admit I'm seriously looking at a steel gravel bike. I have an extra Di2 drivetrain that I can move over pretty quickly. My LBS is an Independent Fabrication dealer so I'm doing some research on that company. I now have a great racing/climbing bike (TCR) and a great aero bike (S3) and they're both two totally different rides and I enjoy each for their own merit. The TCR effectively retired my SuperSix (because it did everything that bike did, only better) and that's where the extra Di2 lives (mounted up on a wall ).

So I've learned my lesson: all of my bikes should be different enough in ride quality/appeal that they don't render others obsolete. A lot of people, not just in this forum but in cycling in general, seem to say that steel is a very different ride-feel from carbon. Couple that with the fact that neither my TCR nor S3 are gravel bikes (I know they can handle gravel but I don't want to submit them to that abuse) and now I'm seriously thinking about Independent Fabrication's Gravel Royale. Will have to do some more research on it, but that could be a nice "kill two birds with one stone" bike: the different ride of steel frames + ability to go gravel and not fear about cracking carbon fiber.

Thoughts?
Old 10-02-19, 12:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
I have to admit I'm seriously looking at a steel gravel bike. I have an extra Di2 drivetrain that I can move over pretty quickly. My LBS is an Independent Fabrication dealer so I'm doing some research on that company. I now have a great racing/climbing bike (TCR) and a great aero bike (S3) and they're both two totally different rides and I enjoy each for their own merit. The TCR effectively retired my SuperSix (because it did everything that bike did, only better) and that's where the extra Di2 lives (mounted up on a wall ).

So I've learned my lesson: all of my bikes should be different enough in ride quality/appeal that they don't render others obsolete. A lot of people, not just in this forum but in cycling in general, seem to say that steel is a very different ride-feel from carbon. Couple that with the fact that neither my TCR nor S3 are gravel bikes (I know they can handle gravel but I don't want to submit them to that abuse) and now I'm seriously thinking about Independent Fabrication's Gravel Royale. Will have to do some more research on it, but that could be a nice "kill two birds with one stone" bike: the different ride of steel frames + ability to go gravel and not fear about cracking carbon fiber.

Thoughts?
Cracking carbon fiber shouldn't be a concern, but a nice steel gravel bike would be sweet. If none of your existing bikes can take a 30-ish mm tire, that could be a game changer on pavement, too; I don't think that I'll buy another frame that can't take at least a 28 (and, given the trend, that probably won't be too much of a problem).
Old 10-02-19, 02:59 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Cracking carbon fiber shouldn't be a concern, but a nice steel gravel bike would be sweet. If none of your existing bikes can take a 30-ish mm tire, that could be a game changer on pavement, too; I don't think that I'll buy another frame that can't take at least a 28 (and, given the trend, that probably won't be too much of a problem).
I know my S3 pretty tops out at 25c, as long as they measure close to spec. I have 25c GP5K TLs on it right now (ENVE SES 5.6 wheels) which measure 25.93mm and there's ample clearance in the back. It came with stock 23c Grand Sport Race which actually measured 25.73 so these new 5K TLs measure much closer to their specs than the GSRs and are essentially the same size.

My TCR came with 25c that measure a bit wide at 26.4mm. I think I've ridden it with my Aeolus Pro 3 wheels on with 28c GP5K TLs on it, which measured 28.81mm, but I don't recall if I measured how much clearance there was between the tire and the narrowest part of the chainstays.

But yes, whatever bike I get next should accommodate at least 30c, if not ideally 32c or larger if it's going to be gravel-focused.
Old 10-02-19, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
If it's going to be gravel focused, I'd want it to clear at least 40mm. I'm just saying that gravel bikes typically make for nice endurance road bikes when you take off the big tires and put on something in the 30mm region - a tire that's still fast and relatively light, but affords lower pressures that'll give you a magic carpet ride over shoddy roads that might rattle your fillings, otherwise.
Old 10-02-19, 03:14 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
New to the forum, hopefully I have enough posts to put up pictures. Here's mine, a Steelman Stage Race built in 2001. Reynolds 853, 60cm s/t and t/t, 72°-ish head and seat tube angles. Dura-Ace 7700 (with Ultegra brakes), Steelman custom 13cm stem, Ritchey bars and Easton seatpost (the Dura Ace one I originally had cracked). Turbomatic4 saddle.

This bike is suuuper nice.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-02-19, 03:25 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I'm definitely feelin' this paint job. Yellow is a tough color to work with. Nice component choice too, 10/10.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-02-19, 04:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Here's mine, a Steelman Stage Race built in 2001.
Lame chainstay protector, but otherwise it's a nice looking frame.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-02-19, 04:55 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Lame chainstay protector, but otherwise it's a nice looking frame.
Thanks, that's been on there a long time, a friend gave it to me as a joke, it's been on so long I don't even notice it. I should really try to take it off but don't want to damage the logo decal under it.

Edit:. With a little assistance from a heatgun, removed the chainstay protector that had been there for at least 16 years. Nice and clean now 👍

Last edited by mprince; 10-03-19 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Chainstay protector removed
Old 10-02-19, 05:14 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If it's going to be gravel focused, I'd want it to clear at least 40mm. I'm just saying that gravel bikes typically make for nice endurance road bikes when you take off the big tires and put on something in the 30mm region - a tire that's still fast and relatively light, but affords lower pressures that'll give you a magic carpet ride over shoddy roads that might rattle your fillings, otherwise.
If I don't buy a new frame, I'm thinking of turning my Trek FX S6 into a gravel bike. Buy some downtube bike armor to protect against rocks, put on some 35c Panaracer Gravelking SK TLCs and turn it tubeless. 35c is the largest the FX will accept.
Old 10-02-19, 08:23 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 542 Posts
I'm more of a vintage enthusiast, but a modern DiNucci is at the top of my wish list. Every line is perfect to my eyes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinuccicycles/
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 10-02-19, 08:43 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:28 AM.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-02-19, 08:47 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11862 Post(s)
Liked 6,444 Times in 3,390 Posts
That's hot.
Old 10-02-19, 09:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Boxkite
Here's modern steel with classic style... the Officina Battaglin 'Marosticana'!
Love the seatstay sockets on the lug- similar style to the 2OS Llewellyn lugs.
Old 10-02-19, 09:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by gaucho777
I'm more of a vintage enthusiast, but a modern DiNucci is at the top of my wish list. Every line is perfect to my eyes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinuccicycles/
His thin lugs are incredible. The smooth blend from tube to lug is really impressive.
Old 10-03-19, 09:32 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts

One of those rare occasions when the tape doesn't quite match the paint or the decals. Falls somewhere between.........Which means it totally goes with both! Very hot!
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-03-19, 09:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Here's modern steel with classic style... the Officina Battaglin 'Marosticana'! I've just about got everything to go on it. Campagnolo Athena 11 speed gruppo and other Italian goodies. Giovanni Battaglin favored white bar tape so that is what this one will get!

I have serial number 2 of 38 for the 'Arena Di Verona 1981' but don't know if it will get built because I like gazing at it too much!
Whoa, that's real purdy! One of those frames that doesn't get built up because you keep stopping and looking at it. And looking some more, and looking some more.
Old 10-04-19, 07:11 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
His thin lugs are incredible. The smooth blend from tube to lug is really impressive.
Wow you’re not kidding those are stunning bikes and lug work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.