Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Louis Garneau road bike to fixie

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 10-02-19, 02:10 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Below is a 49.5 cm Louis Garneau (made in Canada). The bike seems to be built with quality parts and has no rust on any original parts. It was originally a geared road bike and has the dreaded vertical dropout.

Through some help, the use of an old stretched chain, and some luck, I was able to find a chain link that had decent tension.

The back sprocket is an 18 pin and front is 39. I would eventually like to bring the ratio closer to 1:1.25.
​​​​​​
Likes For bedtime:
Old 10-03-19, 04:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Has bars that emulate the artistic cycling you appreciate. Looks good, much better than that spooky avatar.
Old 10-03-19, 06:51 PM
bedtime

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Has bars that emulate the artistic cycling you appreciate. Looks good, much better than that spooky avatar.
You don't like my mint condition, 1986, talking Cricket doll?

I just need to replace the stem with something that has a shorter reach (e.g., 40 mm) and length (> 160 mm). Also needs a smaller chainring for more torque to do the tricks such as wheelies and peddling backwards up ramps and small quarter pipes. Going to bike coop tomorrow to take care of that and will update with pictures.
Old 10-03-19, 06:57 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
It's unique. Have fun with it! I've never even been able to hold a wheelie.
Old 10-04-19, 06:13 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
You don't like my mint condition, 1986, talking Cricket doll?
In small avatar size, I thought it was one of those Chucky movie dolls. Clearly I was way off.
Old 10-04-19, 09:17 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Have fun with it! I've never even been able to hold a wheelie.
Me either. It will be a while before I attempt the wheelie (called a riser in artistic cycling) trick with this bike.

Originally Posted by FiftySix
In small avatar size, I thought it was one of those Chucky movie dolls. Clearly I was way off.
Yeah, that avatar size requirement is so small there's not much detail left.
Old 10-04-19, 02:45 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
call me pedal, pedal strike.
Old 10-05-19, 05:09 PM
bedtime

Here is an updated pic of the bike. I put a 22 pin chainring on it bringing the ratio to 18:22 (1:1.22). This combination allows for 9 possible skid areas on the tire if stopped with only one foot.

In order to get proper tension on the chain I had to file down the back of the dropout about 1/4". The chain is now tight and very responsive. There is no play when switching peddling direction.

The peddles are also an addition. Flat peddles seem best for the artistic cycling type tricks. Those peddles actually fold in to save room and as a result wiggle a little, but I cleaned them and applied Gorilla glue to make them firm.

The bike is horrible for getting A to B, as the gears are so low that even a moderate speed would require superhuman effort to achieve. It is, however, a godsend for tricks, especially those involving going up slops, peddling backwards, and balancing on the spot. Skids are much, much easier to do.

Old 10-11-19, 09:59 AM
bedtime

Important update.

The rear sprocket and threaded sprocket locknut ended up coming off when I attempted to quickly stop the bike backwards several times. It appears that no matter how tight it is, it will come loose as both have the same threading direction. It's easy enough to put back on though. So, as is I can peddle backwards, but I cannot quickly stop backwards or it'll come undone.

Since (I believe) the drive screw is aluminum, it cannot be easily welded to the metal sprocket, so that's not an option. Compounding the issue, the locknut ended up stripping when I tightened it after, so it cannot come off either way. Perhaps issue solved? lol

I ordered a short reach stem from Amazon, which I will have to hacksaw down in length to be an adequate height.

I ended up having to put large washers between the dropout bars to get enough contact, after having filed them down a little to tension the chain.

Feels like it never ends.
Old 10-12-19, 09:54 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i admire your dedication to a terrible idea for a fixie build.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 10-13-19, 07:48 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
i admire your dedication to a terrible idea for a fixie build.
I had a $200 budget for a used bike, and I had a choice to make. If I had more money, I'd surely have bought a good quality fixie bike with horizontal dropouts. There were several poor quality fixies to buy in this price range, but they were the type of bikes that couldn't even keep true tire, had plastic ball-bearing guards, parts that rusted, and horrible paint jobs. Who knows if the crank arm on the right pedal would even stay on or fall off as so many people on Amazon were saying about their cheap fixies.

The Louis Garneau has nice rubber ball-bearing guards; decent, true rims that stay true; no rust whatsoever (except underneath the seat), a very nice paint job; and is overall a solid bike that was Made in Canada with name brand parts. The fact that it has vertical dropouts is not a huge deal to me, as I know I can get around that very cheaply.

I actually bought a fixie bike just before I had this bike. It was as I described the other fixies. I traded it for the Louis Garneau, and though the seller was asking a third the price, I believe I got the better deal by far; but that will only be apparent after a few months. I rest with a good conscious knowing that the seller could easily sell that fixie and make his money back.
Old 11-06-19, 01:20 PM
wolfrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Here is an updated pic of the bike. I put a 22 pin chainring on it bringing the ratio to 18:22 (1:1.22). This combination allows for 9 possible skid areas on the tire if stopped with only one foot.

In order to get proper tension on the chain I had to file down the back of the dropout about 1/4". The chain is now tight and very responsive. There is no play when switching peddling direction.

The peddles are also an addition. Flat peddles seem best for the artistic cycling type tricks. Those peddles actually fold in to save room and as a result wiggle a little, but I cleaned them and applied Gorilla glue to make them firm.

The bike is horrible for getting A to B, as the gears are so low that even a moderate speed would require superhuman effort to achieve. It is, however, a godsend for tricks, especially those involving going up slops, peddling backwards, and balancing on the spot. Skids are much, much easier to do.

Hey, I was attempting in vain to find framesets or used artistic cycling bikes anywhere on this continent let alone Toronto and so far, nothing. There are a few circus performers in Montreal that own the "real" bikes but that's all I see. I've watched Les Parfaits Inconnus in Toronto and the bike guy is the real deal.

Great idea for getting that gear ratio down with the granny gear. I'm currently at the beginning of the fixed gear tricks / artistic cycling path and using my wife's black friday special fixie as a base. running a 38t/22t and changed the stem to a 30mm from amazon (closest to 0mm as i'm gonna get in threadless). I would never pay "full price" for the budget fixies you see online but when they are under $200 why not.

I really feel like the frame geometry (e.g., chainstay length, etc) is the limiting factor here. But hey, if you can ride backwards on slack geometry, doing it on what they use in competition (>1700 euros, way too much) is going to be easier.

So far this is as far as i got with a basic "Pure Fix" bike. I should take off the front brake but it helps with reactive braking on the kids' school commute.
I've started to deal with trackstands and the backwards riding. on insta / w0lfrock for bike pics as i'm a new member here.

How goes the riding?
Old 11-07-19, 12:41 PM
bedtime

Originally Posted by wolfrock
Hey, I was attempting in vain to find framesets or used artistic cycling bikes anywhere on this continent let alone Toronto and so far, nothing. There are a few circus performers in Montreal that own the "real" bikes but that's all I see. I've watched Les Parfaits Inconnus in Toronto and the bike guy is the real deal.
There is pretty much nothing in Canada or the States that I know of.

Great idea for getting that gear ratio down with the granny gear. I'm currently at the beginning of the fixed gear tricks / artistic cycling path and using my wife's black friday special fixie as a base. running a 38t/22t and changed the stem to a 30mm from amazon (closest to 0mm as i'm gonna get in threadless).
The frame is the most important, and it's what's been holding me back. The issue you have with your bars might be in being able to turn them in a 360. My bike won't allow this due to brake design. Stem height can be an issue too; I had to hacksaw my stem and stem bolt to get them low enough.

I really feel like the frame geometry (e.g., chainstay length, etc) is the limiting factor here. But hey, if you can ride backwards on slack geometry, doing it on what they use in competition (>1700 euros, way too much) is going to be easier.
I think nearly all the tricks are transferrable. Whatever I can do on my BMX, I can do on the roadbike; so learning tricks on any bike is helpful. And yes, riding backward on slack geometry is more difficult.

So far this is as far as i got with a basic "Pure Fix" bike. I should take off the front brake but it helps with reactive braking on the kids' school commute.
I've started to deal with trackstands and the backwards riding. on insta / w0lfrock for bike pics as i'm a new member here.
I'd highly recommend keeping the front brakes on. I have them as I don't want to pay the $450 CDN. fine for not having them. Anyways, having brakes will hardly be an impediment with beginner tricks.

How goes the riding?
I haven't put too much time into biking as the weather has been cold and raining. This is allowing my knees to finally heal, so there is some good in it.

Would like to see pics or videos if you have links. Can you peddle backwards in figure 8's yet?
Old 11-07-19, 06:55 PM
wolfrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting from absolutely nothing, as in no experience with tricks. I actually found a very cheap used Haro entry level complete in September for the kids to share because I always wanted a BMX but ended up starting to learn things on the fixed bike instead.

I can trackstand, rock back and forth and I'm starting to ride a bit backwards in a circle, just have to work on being able to stand with either foot in any position as well as putting the wheel in the other direction (i read on here there are at least four trackstand positions to learn).

I have some pics /videos up on instagram (user: w0lfrock) as I'm too new on here to put up photos. it's a journey.
Old 11-11-19, 07:06 AM
bedtime

Originally Posted by wolfrock
I'm starting from absolutely nothing, as in no experience with tricks. I actually found a very cheap used Haro entry level complete in September for the kids to share because I always wanted a BMX but ended up starting to learn things on the fixed bike instead.
Yep, that's how I started too. I started about 6 months ago on a Diamondback BMX with little or no trick skills.

I can trackstand, rock back and forth and I'm starting to ride a bit backwards in a circle, just have to work on being able to stand with either foot in any position as well as putting the wheel in the other direction (i read on here there are at least four trackstand positions to learn).
If you can trackstand on one foot, then the other will come quickly. I can do both feet with the handlebars steering either way. You've done about 90% of the work already.

I have some pics /videos up on instagram (user: w0lfrock) as I'm too new on here to put up photos. it's a journey.
I've never used instagram before. Just about to head out now but will look into it later.

Here is my crappy video of riding backwards at the skatepark on my BMX: https://vimeo.com/361659745

I've improved so much since then.
Old 11-28-19, 06:04 PM
wolfrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw your modded out bmx video some time ago; getting to that level of riding (backwards 8s ) will be a huge achievement for me. i also recently changed to a vuelta 40t and a "DKicks" (Taiwanese) 25t. The old All City cog was nice but the new one is really shiny and smooth. Thinking of getting a unicycle when it starts snowing again (apparently on Sunday). Hard to ride a fixie in the hallway waiting for kids swim practice to finish.