Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Super light Kilo TT?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Super light Kilo TT?

Old 10-22-19, 05:49 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Super light Kilo TT?

Anyone have a sub 17 lb Kilo tt? Mine is around 20.5 lbs, wondering what it would take to get it down in weight. Could you share a parts list?

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 10-22-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 07:06 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
This guy used to post here and I think he said his was under 17: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2012-...-pro-sold-6476
Old 10-22-19, 08:10 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by seau grateau
This guy used to post here and I think he said his was under 17: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2012-...-pro-sold-6476
Cool, thanks. Need some ideas to get under 20lbs. Would be cool to be at 16 or 17 though. Tires are probably a big one for me. Current tires are 363g each.

Any idea if the Kilo tt and Kilo tt pro frame are the same?

Dave
Old 10-22-19, 08:12 PM
seau grateau

Pretty sure the only difference is the paint and chromed bits.
Old 10-23-19, 11:42 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
nice looking kilo but sub 17 lbs is suspect, at least not with the components listed. the rims alone are 615 grams each.

have to cut a lot of places to get below 17 lbs with a steel frame and fork. i understand wanting to shed some weight, but going ham on a kilo to make it "super light" doesn't make sense. better off with a different frame set.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 10-23-19 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 10-23-19, 12:35 PM
seau grateau

Might've been with a different wheelset, but there were scale pics. I'm way too lazy to go digging for it.
Old 10-25-19, 03:43 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Want to check it out but PedalRoom literally never works for me anymore.
Attached Images
Old 10-25-19, 08:34 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by Philasteve
Want to check it out but PedalRoom literally never works for me anymore.
Huh, doesn't work for me now either. Maybe it finally bit the dust. His username was here Nagrom if you want to go looking.
Old 10-26-19, 09:15 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
coomer is on a beautiful vacation and will take care of the issues when he returns.
Old 10-26-19, 01:49 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts

This was mine. 17.2 lbs. Kinises carbon fork,CXP22 to Formula,Sugino crank,bb and ring,Forte Precision seat post,700x28 Specialized All Condition folding,Crank Bros Smarty pedals,Shadow Conspiracy half link chain,Salsa steel threadless stem,Ritchey headset,Profile Design bars and Cannondale saddle.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 10-26-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 08:19 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot

This was mine. 17.2 lbs. Kinises carbon fork,CXP22 to Formula,Sugino crank,bb and ring,Forte Precision seat post,700x28 Specialized All Condition folding,Crank Bros Smarty pedals,Shadow Conspiracy half link chain,Salsa steel threadless stem,Ritchey headset,Profile Design bars and Cannondale saddle.

An aching back is keeping me off a bicycle today and the Interwebz is my companion this morning so BoozyMcliverRot I hope you won't take my comment as anything other than trying to keep a dying discussion going for ****zngigglz...

Despite my best efforts to control them, I have weight-weenie tendencies that leak out sometimes and anytime there's a thead with "Super light" in the title it catches my attention.

Nysss bike but I can't help but think that to get it to 17.2 lbs the frame must be world-class light, which does not seem all that likely, 'cos CXP22 to Formulas and a 1/2 link chain ain't exactly a recipe for weight reduction, and while your other bits are nice - I'm not going to search them all out but they don't strike me as being super light either. Or...maybe you were trolling?
Old 10-29-19, 09:29 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've never viewed so-called "weight-weenies" with disdain. I figure there are worse ways you can spend your money. So the pursuit of shedding weight if that "trips your trigger" is fine by me.
To that end, saddle choice can obviously be huge, but that comes with potential trade-offs regarding comfort. I'm a Brooks guy so I'm riding one of the heaviest options.

Tires and tubes are a fairly easy way to shed weight, but durability might be compromised. However, materials are getting so good that I'm sure there are some good, reasonably robust choices.

If I were to try to eliminate weight, carbon bars, forks, seat post, stem and possibly cranks would enter the picture. Never had carbon cranks. A friend did and he said he wouldn't buy them again. I'm sure they have fans.

I will say that I have a few bikes that every time I lift them I am shocked at how light they are. So I get the appeal.
Old 10-29-19, 01:46 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why not look for a carbon frame / fork as well as lower-profile carbon rims laced to decent hubs? Also carbon seatpost, stem, and bars. I'd think that could get you under 17#. Of course, even if you bought direct from Chinese vendors, you'd still be at $900-1000 or so. Is that too much? Just thinking aloud here...
Old 10-29-19, 02:55 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
nice looking kilo but sub 17 lbs is suspect, at least not with the components listed. the rims alone are 615 grams each.

have to cut a lot of places to get below 17 lbs with a steel frame and fork. i understand wanting to shed some weight, but going ham on a kilo to make it "super light" doesn't make sense. better off with a different frame set.
Got a carbon fork with aluminum steered already. What frame set would you start with?

Dave
Old 10-30-19, 08:44 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Got a carbon fork with aluminum steered already. What frame set would you start with?

Dave
Why don't you add to the body of knowledge here and post the weight of your frame and its various forks when you get it stripped down
Old 10-30-19, 11:33 AM
seau grateau

You don't need everything carbon in order to have a lightweight bike. In a lot of cases, carbon parts offer you only slight weight savings over aluminum parts, and oftentimes aluminum gets you more grams saved per dollar. Eddy Merckx's hour record bike was like 12 pounds and made of steel (granted they drilled a ton of holes in it and it was probably fragile as hell, but still). Weight conscious wheels are tires will usually get you pretty far. Then you can look at the more minor bits and find other opportunities.
Old 10-30-19, 07:27 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
You don't need everything carbon in order to have a lightweight bike. In a lot of cases, carbon parts offer you only slight weight savings over aluminum parts, and oftentimes aluminum gets you more grams saved per dollar. Eddy Merckx's hour record bike was like 12 pounds and made of steel (granted they drilled a ton of holes in it and it was probably fragile as hell, but still). Weight conscious wheels are tires will usually get you pretty far. Then you can look at the more minor bits and find other opportunities.
You are right about wheels. Tubulars can save weight too.
Old 10-30-19, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
If you want a lightweight steel bike, I would recommend checking out Rodriguez with their Shiftless frame, then upgrading to the nicer tubes (they are out of S3 but have been trying to get ultralight for a while). I would put on a full carbon fork (Whisky or ENVE come to mind) and some light weight wheels. Ideally for those you want a shallow rim with a lower spoke count (but still practical for your riding and weight) and use quality parts lighter weight parts. All City New Sheriff SLs are one of the lightest fixed gear hubs out there and great quality. I have used them on two bikes and zero complaints.

For your cockpit I would probably look to carbon stuff or find some of the loads of lightweight aluminum stuff on the market. Me personally on my lightweight dream machine I would use more titanium and probably my usually Zipp Service Course SL-70 Ergo bars which I have on 4 or 5 bikes and love.

If you are running brakes go with Cane Creek eeBrakes and Jagwire Elite Link Housing and SRAM S900 levers if doing drop bars but the S500 alloy levers aren't that heavy. If a flat bar set up is more your speed then TRP carbon cross levers are a good choice or me I would go Paul Canti Levers.

For a light drivetrain I would go with Kappestein so you can run 11 speed chains and chainrings then find a nice light crank and you are set or if 144BCD is your jam they make a 11speed 144 bcd chainring and you could run Sugino DD75s which are fantastic cranks. If you want even lighter weight get it set up for a gates belt drive (not recommended for the brown streak crowd but if you use brakes you will be fine) I know Schindlehaur does some already made aluminum fixed gear bikes with belts.

You could easily build a bike that is 13lbs or probably even less like this.
Old 10-30-19, 09:31 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
An aching back is keeping me off a bicycle today and the Interwebz is my companion this morning so BoozyMcliverRot I hope you won't take my comment as anything other than trying to keep a dying discussion going for ****zngigglz...

Despite my best efforts to control them, I have weight-weenie tendencies that leak out sometimes and anytime there's a thead with "Super light" in the title it catches my attention.

Nysss bike but I can't help but think that to get it to 17.2 lbs the frame must be world-class light, which does not seem all that likely, 'cos CXP22 to Formulas and a 1/2 link chain ain't exactly a recipe for weight reduction, and while your other bits are nice - I'm not going to search them all out but they don't strike me as being super light either. Or...maybe you were trolling?
Not trolling. I was surprised when I weighed it too. The Kilo isn't a featherweight frame by any stretch,but it's also not an anchor either. When I weighed it it was with a bathroom scale,me and the bike minus me equals bike weight,not super accurate but close. I think the parts that kept the weight down were the carbon and aluminium fork,cheap but light Crank Bros pedals,Ti Cannondale saddle. Also the Profile bars are pretty light too.

17lbs on a gearless,brakeless steel bike isn't hard. I never weighed just the 55cm frame,but it's double butted 4130 chromoly,so I would guess its at about 3.8lbs to 4lbs.