Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pedals enigma

Old 11-03-19, 03:34 AM
thisisfed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals enigma

Hi guys,
I am a newbie here and my first post is to ask veterans for help.

I started to ride fixie almost two years ago now, I used to have two brakes, then one, then none (since a week) thinking to mount back the front brake though.
I know this bit may sound crazy to many of you but I have always rode with cheap pedals no straps, no toe clips no clipless.

Now I was considering to buy straps but I will have to chance pedals to be able to mount them. I know clipless is the best solution but I hate the idea of buying shoes aswell.
I was looking at flat pedals like the DMR V12 and Restrap. I have read that flat pedals on a fixie are a bad idea. Do you think it could be a good idea or a waste of money? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance and happy riding!
Fed.
Old 11-03-19, 11:02 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Plenty of people use flat pedals with straps on fixed gears. They're fine, you just have to be careful about pedal strike when leaning into turns because they're so wide.
Old 11-03-19, 12:54 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 77 Posts
I happily ride my fixed gear road bike on the road and cross country, commuting and leisure rides, with flat pedals and no clips, cleats or straps (etc.)

Possibly I lose a few percent on peak performance in certain specific situations, but the convenience and freedom it gives me makes it the best way for me. I can ride to work in whatever shoes I want; I can ride cross country in my flat soled cycling shoes; I can get off and walk comfortably.

My bike has front and rear brakes which I use as little as possible, but which mean I do not have to worry about foot retention in some dramatic emergency skid situation.
Old 11-03-19, 07:46 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Wow, you must live in a very flat area. I can't even imagine riding a brakeless fixed sans skidding. Would be very close to literal suicide. If my entire commute and daily errand running was flat though (with little to no obstacles, and a nice wide bike lane), I can definitely see how it's very easily possible.

I never liked the traditional metal toe clips with the traditional metal pedals that are designed to cover just the ball and "front pad" of your foot.
That's just personal preference. Most bikes that are designed to just roll with the rubber never leaving the concrete are designed to be pedaled in that fashion.
I've also looked up good pedaling technique, and they always emphasize using the ball + pad of your foot for force. Anything else is less efficient, uses more energy, less muscles, and puts more strain on areas that don't benefit from having that strain placed on them.
Thus, most pedals that you can buy that aren't platforms will be designed with such pedaling in mind.

In day to day riding though, you often change foot positions, lift your tires off the ground to clear curbs, turn in unpredictable ways, and generally smash around.
That's where platforms really shine. You can still get good foot position on them (lock the ball of your foot on or near the center spindle), but you also have the option of using the pedal for much more. You're obviously not going to have optimal foot positioning and optimal weight reduction, but if you're not some training racer dude, and you use your bike for everyday biking, IMO platforms are the best kind of pedal for most riders.
So if you go with actual toe clips, I feel like you're just limiting your options.

Figuring out which kind of platform you like the best (flat, wide, concave, varying shapes, metal or plastic pins, no holes, etc.) will just be something you'll have to figure out with trial and error.
Most "well regarded" and "hyped" items (meaning well reviewed and frequently recommended) are generally the best for most people, as they have just "something" special about them that makes them just neutral enough, but just specialized enough for a particular crowd, and they're a great kicking off point for a foray into your interest.

For platform pedals, odyssey twisters are often well regarded among the SS and Fixed community. They were also well known in the BMX world.
I would personally go with BMX pedals over MTB ones as they are usually cheaper and have urban use in mind.

Anyways, the point is, you're probably going to like them and they're probably going to give you better "pushing back" force for riding brakeless.
Whatever you do, don't get the cheap janky straps. Literally throwing money away. They are literally useless for foot retention. I've actually pulled my foot out of them and unstrapped because they were such crap. Scary, and a total waste of what could have gone towards 1/4 of the price of good straps. A quick search for "Fixed gear strap best" or something will give you a ton of reviews for some well known varieties.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 11-03-19 at 07:56 PM.