Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Obsolete or Make your Own Bicycle Graphics Tip

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Obsolete or Make your Own Bicycle Graphics Tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 09:21 PM
gbsk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
I just use tracing paper to make a quick reference sketch of the decal to deal with geometric distortion. Once that's imported and you have the scale correct you can set it and the photograph as background images and do the vector work on top. Once you're done you just drop out the background layers. Inkscape is free and there are lots of tutorials for it out there. I was a complete novice and it only took about a week of evenings to learn the program and draw up a full decal set for my Lygie.
Thanks for the reply. The problem with my AD is that a lot of the decals have been torn off or scratched off so it would be very hard to trace things that are not there.
Old 10-28-19, 03:56 AM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Block
this technique with photos to illustrate how it is done.
https://lixbmx.com/tips-for-tracing-survivor-decals
Yep, though I don't always do detailed tracings. On more complex designs I'll trace the major stuff (such as four or eight points on a chainring design) so I have a positional reference and do the details on top of a photograph, then stretch/resize/whatever to fit the tracing reference. Saves a bunch of time. Pretty cool that someone took the time to put that on a website - thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by gbsk
Thanks for the reply. The problem with my AD is that a lot of the decals have been torn off or scratched off so it would be very hard to trace things that are not there.
If you have enough to get some major dimensional references you can work mainly from photographs as I describe above. I'd have to see what you have left to be able to say whether it'd be possible. I've come to enjoy decal artwork reproduction quite a bit so send me some pics and I'll try to give you advice if nothing else.
Old 10-28-19, 08:34 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I did something similar on a build using a stencil I found to create some lettering and pinstriping.

The paint came out looking to "proud" and my plan was to then lightly sand away part of it for a patina'd look.

20180721_160525[1] by dc460, on Flickr

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-28-19, 10:40 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Gus Salmon does a lot of recreations of bike graphics. He may already have something for your AD.

And Cyclomondo has a couple AD sheets:
CYCLOMONDO - Switzerland and Austria

Last edited by jeirvine; 10-28-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-29-19, 03:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Gus Salmon does a lot of recreations of bike graphics. He may already have something for your AD.
I get the feeling that he does not like to make decals for just anyone but that could be a misconception, on my part. That said, he is a very cooperative guy who will go out of his way to help. Though a bit pricey, these Rabeneick water slide decals that he made for me are excellent, in my opinion. The Rabineick is now ready for art but that phase of the build will have to wait until next summer...

Making one's own decals is not all that hard. To get good ones, however, does take more effort than I put into this first ever decal set that I made...

The next set taught me a thing of two about color of decal paper. If clear, then the colors do not show up as well and white leave other issues to deal with. None the less, this old Carlton is fitted with a set of home made decals...
Old 11-12-19, 11:36 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

Originally Posted by robbied196
Thanks for all your comments guys

... if your handy with a scalpel there's no reason why you couldn't cut the graphics by hand. Just be careful not to cut through the whole sheet.
Per OP @robbied196 I have am also an artist with hand and digital skills but I have lost all my vector-based computer programs so I cut my Lygie downtube logo by hand instead of paying to have it re-created as a decal. I created an image of the Lygie logo seen in blue to cut over on clear frisket. Picked out the letters and used another layer of frisket on top to carry it. You’ll notice there are blue threads under the top layer because I used my jeans to remove some of the tack off the top layer frisket so it wouldn’t pull up on the mask layer when I removed it.

Last edited by obuckler; 11-12-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-13-19, 05:50 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I went the simple way and used photoshop and waterslide printer paper to make pinstripes, lettering and solid color bands. IMO they are VERY delicate to apply and anything with white is a no-can-do, I had to buy the badges and 501 decal. Another issue is where the decals overlap (red bands) the color becomes darker.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 11-13-19 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 11-13-19, 07:26 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I went the simple way and used photoshop and waterslide printer paper to make pinstripes, lettering and solid color bands. IMO they are VERY delicate to apply and anything with white is a no-can-do, I had to buy the badges and 501 decal. Another issue is where the decals overlap (red bands) the color becomes darker.
What's the issue with white?

Nice-looking result either way.
Old 11-13-19, 09:58 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
What's the issue with white?
Nice-looking result either way.
There is no white from my inkjet printer and I used clear waterslide paper. The other option would be to print on the white paper but I don't think I would be able to cut around the rest of the graphic perfectly.
The photos are before the frame was clear coated and they really blended in when done.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 11-13-19, 02:55 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
There is no white from my inkjet printer and I used clear waterslide paper. The other option would be to print on the white paper but I don't think I would be able to cut around the rest of the graphic perfectly.
The photos are before the frame was clear coated and they really blended in when done.
or do what Rudi did
https://www.bikeforums.net/12134198-post9.html
Old 11-13-19, 07:23 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
DIY bicycle graphics recreation.

Hi all,

All you guys are pretty dedicated and I think somewhat skilled. I didn't see any here that didn't inspire me or that I couldn't live with.

Now if I could take the time to stop buying old beaters and fix up the ones I have!.

Last edited by Nu2Miele; 11-13-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 11:46 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Here is my almost final result. Still need to cleanup some edges and corners with an xacto knife. In full disclosure a prior try was a fail as i ruined the mask on application. This time I laid it on over a mild soapy water solution which helped with alignment.
Old 11-29-19, 07:36 PM
Stephen79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure how you could cut an 'O' or 'S' or 'P' etc with a scalpel knife (maybe with a metal French square but then....)'. And Graphic Designers can be sausages....I remember having a very obscure Australian bike with decals in a variation of the font "Plaza". I bought the variation, ran it through Inkscape but then realised the original (bike label) designer had made the subtlest of changes to the font, meaning I would have to re-draw them by hand, lacking any software as I did. Gave up didn't I?
Old 11-29-19, 10:01 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Plaza is a cool Art Deco font. Most logos are never just a font... because I guess as you say designers are such “sausages,” and I am hoping the term is an endearment!

The “Ligie” was a good candidate for this certainly (never understood the variant spelling on Lygie though?). But if large enough and with the skill set curved letters can be done. I started out as a designer back when things were all done by hand. So not fazed by it and have all the old tools of the trade.

I used to have all the digital tools too and miss them, but they always came with the job so long gone. But most reproduction decals I see are usually never as accurate as I would like. I was always a perfectionist when I made things.
Old 11-30-19, 10:50 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
If the decal has a 'chrome' background like this example then what? Do you put a decal on shiny mylar? Where do you source the mylar or what is needed to make the shiny background? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Old 12-01-19, 06:44 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by robbied196
I work as a Graphic Designer and restore bicycles. A combination of jobs that led me to a pretty trick way of making new, or re-creating bicycle graphics.

I thought I'd post the process here is case its of some use to someone.

I'm currently restoring a 1956 Dunelt and I know there's no way of tracking down new old stock, or replacement transfers and in any case a lot of graphics from this period were painted. Fortunately, between what was left of the original graphics and google images I found a good reference to start.

So here is what I do.

Step 1. Photograph or google a half decent image of what your trying to create.

Step 2. Re-draw the graphic. Ok, I do this sort of thing everyday but if you've got a basic drawing package and a bit of patience you can soon achieve good results. I'm using the technological route here, but, all of this can be could done by hand with a pencil and scalpel, like the old days!

Step 3. What I end up with on my computer is a 'vector file', a wireframe of the graphic. This type of file can be used with any plotter to cut the vinyl.

Step 4. The cut vinyl. Now I remove the vinyl where I want the paint to go.

Step 5. Obviously I can't remove the backer from the vinyl to stick it down without losing all my detailing bits. So, I apply a backer to the surface of the vinyl, masking tape or any low tack tape will do, rub it down hard. So now the vinyl is in a sandwich, masking tape on top, original backer underneath.

Step 6. I mark a couple of lines on the masking tape side to help with alignment.

Step 7. Now I can remove the vinyl backer, leaving the adhesive of the vinyl exposed.

Step 8. So that the vinyl doesn't 'grab' the surface, I wipe the frame with some soapy water, this enables me to move it into position and check alignment.

Step 9. Wipe down and leave to dry, then remove the masking tape, leaving the vinyl stuck in position. Make sure its completely dry, any water left under the vinyl will suck the paint underneath.

Step 10. Mask up and paint, I usually go for 2 light coats, leave to dry, remove vinyl, job done

The beauty of this is you can cut anything from logo's to pinlines. With some clever masking multi colour is also easy. Or for something amazing…. gold size and gold leaf!!
very nice job you did there! as i've been messing around with paints myself lately - any tips on an affordable vinyl plotter?
Old 12-01-19, 07:24 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,797 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
very nice job you did there! as i've been messing around with paints myself lately - any tips on an affordable vinyl plotter?
I don't know about Germany, but in the US pretty much every sign shop has a vinyl plotter. Their charge to make anything seen in this thread would be under $10.

But if you want to own, craft-level cutters are about $200 each. I have no idea to their quality because my vinyl needs do not justify the cost of owning.
Old 12-02-19, 10:23 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I don't know about Germany, but in the US pretty much every sign shop has a vinyl plotter. Their charge to make anything seen in this thread would be under $10.

But if you want to own, craft-level cutters are about $200 each. I have no idea to their quality because my vinyl needs do not justify the cost of owning.
Yes i know about the vinyl cutting services and i agree it is probably the most effective solution spending-wise, but knowing myself, there will be a rather elongated trial/error period Also, i have a few ideas for future projects; and i would be willing to spend those 200 quid. Question is, which of those in the price range don't completely suck. i'm not a fan of having to use a proprietary software for example, or not being able to get replacement consumables a few years from now...
Old 12-02-19, 10:43 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
Yes i know about the vinyl cutting services and i agree it is probably the most effective solution spending-wise, but knowing myself, there will be a rather elongated trial/error period Also, i have a few ideas for future projects; and i would be willing to spend those 200 quid. Question is, which of those in the price range don't completely suck. i'm not a fan of having to use a proprietary software for example, or not being able to get replacement consumables a few years from now...
I have a friend with a Silhouette Cameo machine and she's been using it for at least four years now. Easy to use, priced well. The line has continued to upgrade, with the new machines being able to process pieces up to ten feet long. The older machines haven't become obsolete and stock is still available. It might be possible to get one used, perhaps after the holidays, when people who have upgraded sell their old models. I'm looking at getting one for my husband because he runs a side hustle selling decals. I'll only need it once for my bike...at least, that's what I'm thinking, but who knows what bike is going to end up in my garage and in need of new decals in the future?
Old 12-06-19, 06:24 PM
Stephen79

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boxkite you see that decal in Italian sets all the time however replicating it should be dead-easy with some vinyl wrap.
Likes For Stephen79:
Old 12-06-19, 09:52 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Stephen79- I'll keep looking. I did purchase some graphics for a project and although close... no cigar! When comparisons were made there were discrepancies. I'll have to experiment!