Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help w/ replacing handlebars on my single speed

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-28-19, 03:08 PM
Cyclist30923232

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m hoping to get new handle bars to replace my stock bull horns on my new statebycicle company single speed bike. I was hoping to purchase a flat bar and upgrade from the stock bullhorns. After contacting state directly, the representative stated that my 4130 model 6 uses a 26mm stem clamp and 23.8mm brakes. Does anyone know where I can get a flat bar for the sz stem clamp and brakes that I have?? I was also wondering if I would be able to raise the stem a bit. I had the bike put together at a shop and they didn’t really ask if I wanted to test it out before leaving. After a couple rides I think I might be a bit more comfortable if I was able to raise it, even if it was just a bit. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 08-29-19, 09:44 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Try State maybe
Old 08-29-19, 10:50 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 77 Posts
It may be best to choose the bars you want, then choose a new stem to suit, rather than limiting your choice of bars to those that fit your stem. Bars are crucial to comfort and control on any bike. The more you like riding it, the more you'll ride it.

As for height, you can flip the stem so that it is angled up or down. However, if you want to raise it more than that, you may need a stem with a steeper angle.
Old 08-29-19, 01:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Rvdjc54
I’m hoping to get new handle bars to replace my stock bull horns on my new statebycicle company single speed bike. I was hoping to purchase a flat bar and upgrade from the stock bullhorns. After contacting state directly, the representative stated that my 4130 model 6 uses a 26mm stem clamp and 23.8mm brakes. Does anyone know where I can get a flat bar for the sz stem clamp and brakes that I have?? I was also wondering if I would be able to raise the stem a bit. I had the bike put together at a shop and they didn’t really ask if I wanted to test it out before leaving. After a couple rides I think I might be a bit more comfortable if I was able to raise it, even if it was just a bit. Thanks in advance everyone!
I was going to say that the 26mm measurement is probably a rounded up 25.4mm, which is one of the standard sizes for the stem clamp area of a handlebar.

However, that 23.8mm brake lever clamp diameter is not the same as the ends of a common handlebar at 22.2mm. Maybe the brake clamps would tighten down to 22.2mm bar ends just fine?

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-29-19 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 01:19 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by ceelint
Try State maybe
Good idea. https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/bars
Old 09-01-19, 10:31 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
26.0 is a common older road clamp standard. Any 25.4 flat bar will work just fine with an aluminum can shim.
Old 09-01-19, 12:18 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Lots of road bikes had and still have a 26.0 MM clamp and it is not the same as 25.4, though as mentioned, shims can be used.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-28-19, 09:51 AM
Playinintraffic

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle 51:18 + Ibis Mojo "Handjob"

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Give it some time before you buy new bars

After a couple of rides a think I might be a bit more comfortable if I was able to raise it, even if it was just a bit. Thanks in advance everyone!
Before you buy a new bar or change the stem, ride the bike for 100 miles. You’ll find your hands and wrists and neck get used to the position. Whenever you change position or start riding after a hiatus there will be some pain. So give your current setup some time (I.e. miles).

By the same token, if you change your bar or stem, you’ll experience some pain, somewhere, for a little while.

Try moving your saddle fore or aft and that may also help.

in my experience, the lower you go in front, the further forward you can put the saddle, which gives you more power, which is nice.

Also in my my humble opinion, while there is a limit on how low you can go in front for a given level of flexibility and fitness, most “fitting” is for people who want to fuss over a bike and spend money and time thinking about their bike. Riding solves most “fit” issues automatically.

Last edited by Playinintraffic; 09-28-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 09:58 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Playinintraffic
Riding solves most “fit” issues automatically.
This is bad advice.
Old 09-29-19, 09:26 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you get some flat bars with some rise you probably won't need to raise the stem up more. I would at least try new bars out before getting a stem at the same time, these are easy swaps that only take a few minutes and riser bars will put you more up right.
Old 09-30-19, 02:56 AM
Playinintraffic

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle 51:18 + Ibis Mojo "Handjob"

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
This is bad advice.
Please allow me to clarify: actual issues with fit won’t be solved with more miles. But most so-called fit issues aren’t brought by seasoned cyclists with actual fit issues. Most “fit” issues are brought by new or occasional riders who have soreness that will go away with more regular riding. Our mutual friend has some soreness after “a couple of rides.” The advice is change your bars? Stem? After a couple of rides?

Last edited by Playinintraffic; 09-30-19 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 09:22 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Playinintraffic
Please allow me to clarify: actual issues with fit won’t be solved with more miles. But most so-called fit issues aren’t brought by seasoned cyclists with actual fit issues. Most “fit” issues are brought by new or occasional riders who have soreness that will go away with more regular riding. Our mutual friend has some soreness after “a couple of rides.” The advice is change your bars? Stem? After a couple of rides?
Well, yeah. But most seasoned riders have gone through a lot of trial and error (or bike fitting) to find the position that works for them. They also have a level of fitness and body adaptation that allows them to ride in positions that more casual riders would find uncomfortable. I think it's better to set the bike up so that it's reasonably comfortable now and change the position as necessary if/when fitness and adaptations come.