Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

A-fib

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 02:48 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
A-fib

Anybody riding with A-Fib?

I had a MAJOR Episode a couple of weeks ago.

Heart rate would not come down below 170 BPM.

Right now I`m om Metoprolol and some blood thinners.

I need further tests. Went for a 20 mile ride today, but felt uneasy.

Physically I felt OK, but mentally , not so much.
Old 08-31-19, 02:01 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I had afib for the first time about 25 years ago. I’m now 79. The episodes became more and more frequent and more prolonged. I didn’t feel too bad, but it limited my bike speed to about 13 mph or my HR quickly climbed to over 200. I found it to be more of a nuisance than anything else.
Metaprolol is not an anti-arrhythmic, but a rate and BP controller. I’ve tried all the antiarrhythmics: Multaq worked for a year, Tykosyn and others didn’t. I’ve had 5 cardio versions and two ablations, and now I have pacemaker as my resting HR dropped, over the years, to 34 (and no, low HR is not only due to fitness!) with dangerous pauses. Since the pacemaker insertion 18 months ago I’ve felt like new, with only a few very short afib episodes, which I barely noticed.
Find a good cardiologist and work with him/her and keep taking the blood thinner -very important! Don’t worry and don’t push yourself on the bike until you are back in sinus rhythm. Good luck!
Old 08-31-19, 08:31 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I am not currently riding with A-fib but have in the past. I am on my second cardioversion, the first lasted a bit over a year. Went back into A-fib in June of 2018 was scheduled for the 2nd cardioversion beginning of January this year. Prior to the second cardioversion, June to December, my pulse with meds was in the 80s. When I got on the bike and rode down my street about 200 yards and flat it jumped to the 130s and with exertion went up to 170-210. I tried to keep it around 180.

At the time I did not know that the high pulse while exercising would lead to heart failure. I felt fine while riding. I had an echocardiogram in Oct 2018 and an EF of 45 down from the year before at 55 EF, 50 is considered normal. The doctor told me it was due to the elevated pulse. Had another echo in May 2019 with an EF of 60, 5 months after returning to a normal pulse. Now with meds my resting HR is 40-45. If I return to an A-fib condition I am not sure if I would continue to exercise until my HR returned to normal, due to the heart failure.

While in A-fib I did experience chest discomfort, palpations, eratic pulse and felt my heart beating when I went to bed.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-19, 07:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This is gonna get moved to the Pill and Ills subforum anyway. Here are links to threads in that forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...-have-fib.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...ding-afib.html
Old 09-01-19, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This is gonna get moved to the Pill and Ills subforum anyway. Here are links to threads in that forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...-have-fib.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/pills-ill...ding-afib.html
What he said. Moved.

Old 09-02-19, 04:47 PM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
I went into afib in 2002, it was the result of LA getting large because of funky mitral valve. Note that for the prior 20 yrs spent a month every summer solo mountaineering in the Alps. Got the valve fixed, afib has not come back...so far.

The reason I am posting this is to mention that you need to be really careful going off any of the meds they have you on...talk to your Doc. There is a "rebound" effect from going off them that can be really nasty.
Old 09-05-19, 09:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I am the only one of 4 siblings that has not had some type of surgery for Afib. I am also the youngest at 65 years young.Both parents suffered from heart disease. I sometimes have a rapid heart rate when I am at home just relaxing and thought now it is my turn. I ride a lot and walk at least 2-3 miles a day and eat well (Vegan). I told my doctor that I had had these episodes while I was relaxing and he sent me for an EKG which turned out good. He also checks my blood pressure monthly and keeps an eye on my heart rate monitor that is with my Apple Watch. He asks when I went riding and I pull up my Strava App . He told me that when I am exerting the most, like uphill, my heart rate will naturally increase . What is more important is how long it takes to go back down. We believe my spikes are due to anxiety more than anything , but we still keep an eye on it. My sister and my brothers have not been as fortunate ,they all have high blood pressure and other issues. my BP is usually 115/70. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 09-09-19, 10:39 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Well, I had quite a few tests, with more coming.

So far I know I have a Aorta Aneurysm / Enlarged Aorta , and some electrical problem causing some A Fib.

Right now just treating it with Metoprolo and Blood Thinner. (I was going to take Pradaxa , but with my insurance it would be $241.17 per month! I decided against it)

Had EKG`s Echo Card, Stress Test and I`m going for a CT Scan of my Aorta next week.

Ablation was discussed, but not for now.

Was told I can still ride, but that I should wear something that monitors the heart. I thought a FitBit would be OK, but DR. said all that will do tell the Heart Rate.

Here`s the catch......believe it or not , I do not even own a Cell Phone of any kind!

Last edited by roadsnakes; 09-09-19 at 01:10 PM.