Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette removal tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cassette removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 09:23 PM
Strosfan5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cassette removal tool

Hi all,
Have an old Murray Baja 5000 mountain bike. Traditional steel framed 80’s Murray.

Wondering if anyone would have an idea which removal tool would fit the fastener to remove the cassette. It seems there are a few different sizes so to speak.

I plan on taking the back wheel apart and greasing the hub. I did the crank and front hub and they were a little dry. Purchased recently. Practically brand new. Bike was ridden around the blocks a few times and stored in a basement since mid 80’s.

any insight?
Old 10-22-19, 09:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I'd be surprised at a Murray of that era having a cassette, freewheel would be far more likely. But we can't see your bike... Agreed that more data or photos will help us help you. Andy
Old 10-23-19, 12:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
@Strosfan5's Album

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/503571
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14737828

It would be easier to visualize with the wheel off. But, that looks like it may be a Shimano Megarange freewheel.

In which case, the tool would be a Park FR-1, FR-1.2, or FR-1.3 (they are backwards compatible). There are a number of low cost similar tools.

Remove the wheel and verify markings.

You have a kink in your chain indicating it may need some lube, and perhaps has a tight link. Make sure all the chain links move freely.

A few tight chain links can cause symptoms of skipping.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-23-19, 08:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might consider replacing the brake pads, which have likely dried out and hardened over the decades.
Old 10-23-19, 02:12 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If those are original MAFAC cantilever brakes, you could remove them and sell them on EBay, and likely get enough $$$ to buy a better used bike.
Old 10-23-19, 02:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You might consider replacing the brake pads, which have likely dried out and hardened over the decades.
Those steel rims need all the help they can get.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-23-19, 08:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If those are original MAFAC cantilever brakes, you could remove them and sell them on EBay, and likely get enough $$$ to buy a better used bike.
Not on a Murray. There were many copies of MAFAC brakes made back then. I agree with DS: replace the brake pads if you want halfway decent brake performance.

Back to the original question: given the age of the machine and the SunTour derailleur, I think you might have a SunTour AG (for "Alpine Gear") freewheel. This has a very wide range 14 tooth to 38 tooth setup. It requires a Park Tool FR-2: https://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-2 and careful technique to remove the freewheel. (Freewheel removal has been discussed many times before and there are some good online how-to videos.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-24-19, 01:28 PM
Strosfan5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Not on a Murray. There were many copies of MAFAC brakes made back then. I agree with DS: replace the brake pads if you want halfway decent brake performance.

Back to the original question: given the age of the machine and the SunTour derailleur, I think you might have a SunTour AG (for "Alpine Gear") freewheel. This has a very wide range 14 tooth to 38 tooth setup. It requires a Park Tool FR-2: https://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-2 and careful technique to remove the freewheel. (Freewheel removal has been discussed many times before and there are some good online how-to videos.)
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I bought it for a whopping 40$. I know it’s a Murray and all that. Purchased it more than anything to really see if I wanted to get back into riding. The bike is what it is and has been flawless.

The chain was real dry. I’ve used Triflow for years and has always been just awesome. That got it going again.

Being that it had knobby tires on it, they are pretty shot after 300 miles on the road in the past two months.
Since it was stored indoors all these years, the rubber on the pads and tires were ok. Tires have now been replaced with Michelin’s ($27 bucks each).

I’m not a hardcore rider or whatever. Rides have been between 15-25 miles on weekends at an avg if 13-14mph. It’s been fun minus getting chSed by a couple of dogs last week on a country road.

Thanks again for the insight.
Old 10-24-19, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
SunTour AG (for "Alpine Gear") freewheel. This has a very wide range 14 tooth to 38 tooth setup. It requires a Park Tool FR-2: https://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-2 and careful technique to remove the freewheel. (Freewheel removal has been discussed many times before and there are some good online how-to videos.)
OHHH!!! I was worried about not seeing "Megarange" written on the freewheel like Shimano usually does.

But, the two prong vs splined removal tool would be obvious once the wheel is removed and one looks at the freewheel. Plus the brand is usually inscribed on the center part of the freewheel.

As mentioned, be careful with removing a freewheel with a 2-prong tool (tighten the nut down on the tool, turn a bit, then slowly turn and release the nut).
Old 10-24-19, 03:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Strosfan5
Hi all,
Have an old Murray Baja 5000 mountain bike. Traditional steel framed 80’s Murray.

Wondering if anyone would have an idea which removal tool would fit the fastener to remove the cassette. It seems there are a few different sizes so to speak.

I plan on taking the back wheel apart and greasing the hub. I did the crank and front hub and they were a little dry. Purchased recently. Practically brand new. Bike was ridden around the blocks a few times and stored in a basement since mid 80’s.

any insight?
Looks like your chain has a tight link. A little side-to-side pressure might loosen it.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-24-19, 03:54 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Neat looking bike.
Old 10-24-19, 04:11 PM
Strosfan5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Looks like your chain has a tight link. A little side-to-side pressure might loosen it.
A good application of Triflow took care of it.
Have any of you ever used Triflow?
Old 10-24-19, 04:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Strosfan5
A good application of Triflow took care of it.
Have any of you ever used Triflow?
Certainly not on chains. Too expensive and light duty.
Any lube called "chain lube" is bound to be superior.
0000 REM answer
0100 GOTO, discussions, lube, chain, boring, stupid, repetitive
0200 GOTO 0100
0300 END

Although WAX has its advantages if you don't mind a hairy chain.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-24-19 at 05:28 PM.