Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke noise unsolved

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke noise unsolved

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 12:20 PM
DrRobert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spoke noise unsolved

I'm having what I think is spoke noise from rear wheel: creaking/clicking, more prominent when pedalling, varies if I tilt the bike one side or another. My bike mechanic agrees. He has detensioned and retensioned the wheel once, and gone back over it twice. The last time he did it the noise was actually worse. I have a lot of confidence in him, but I'm thinking of getting a "second opinion".

Feeling the spokes and comparing to other bikes I have, they don't feel loose.

I've put a different wheel on the bike to try, but assuming it is the wheel, I'm wondering about replacing the spokes and nipples.

What do you guys think? Can spokes loose their tensile strength? My mechanic says he's never heard of it.

Anything else I can try?
Old 10-28-19, 12:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Sometimes it's caused by rusty eyelets. The spokes can move a little with each wheel rotation. If adding a drop of oil at each nipple quiets the noise, you'll know it's that. Spokes can also make noise where they cross.

Another possibility is worn or dirty wheel bearings. You'll get pinging sounds, too, if that's the case.

One thing it's not is the spokes wearing out and losing strength.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-19, 12:54 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I've heard of people putting a tiny bit of lube at the point where two spokes cross. Worth a shot if you have exhausted your options.
Old 10-28-19, 01:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
A "competent" mechanic might miss once, but 3 times?
Try the suggestions and if that doesn't work, a 2nd opinion may be in order.
Old 10-28-19, 01:50 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The spokes don't lose strength with time and use. Grab parallel spokes and squeeze them and see if you can reproduce the sound. If you know someone with a tension meter have it checked for proper tension.
The nipples are either plated brass or aluminum and can't rust.
Old 10-28-19, 01:51 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRobert
I'm having what I think is ... ... I'm thinking of getting a "second opinion".
Thinking and opinions aside, if you want the solution then find the problem, confirm the problem, characterize the problem, re-confirm the problem, and the solution will be easy. Trial and error usually finds more errors and may or may not find the solution.
Old 10-28-19, 05:29 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I had a loose eyelet that caused a creaking sound. I found it by taking the tire off , standing the rim upright on a carpet and pressing down on it with all my weight. Slowly rotating it and repeating until I heard the creak. Then it was either at the top or bottom spoke.

Also, black spokes tend to creak at the cross.
Old 10-28-19, 05:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
It isn't uncommon for a little clicking after truing a wheel, and to have it go away after a month or so of riding.

It is either the spokes bedding in, or perhaps spokes being wound up and relaxing slightly.

I think pre-stressing the wheel by squeezing spokes hard helps some. Also unwinding spokes after truing. For bladed spokes, unwinding is easy. For round spokes, some people mark the spokes before tensioning.

=========

Also check the rim near every nipple for cracking.
Old 10-28-19, 07:10 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Do you have cartridge bearings? On my front wheel, the bearings were slipping side to side in the hub bore hole. And makes a lot of creaking sounds. It took me a long time to figure out where the sound was coming from, because at the same time, a loose spoke was creaking, and a deformed headset was also creaking. After tightening the spokes and replacing the headset, I narrowed the remaining sounds to the front hub. I replaced the wheel since the hub is not salvageable.
Old 10-28-19, 07:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
I had that happen on a used bike I bought. I heard the noise when I test rode the bike and thought the front brake pads were slightly rubbing the rim. That was not the case. I found the spokes by the same method gearbasher used, just not as much pressure. I dismounted and re-mounted the tube and tire and the noise was gone. Two days later, it was back. I put the wheel on a truing stand and retensioned the spokes and trued the wheel. No noise since.
Old 10-28-19, 08:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I had a bad pawl on a mavic wheel that made a pinging sound like spokes popping, more pronounced when climbing.
Old 10-28-19, 08:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Check the reflector.

DAMHIK
Old 10-28-19, 09:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Spokes can get a notch at their cross contacts. This is why jadocs made the suggestion of lubing the contact points. I have done this more then a few times to show customers where the noise is coming from. Another way to test this is to cut small bits of a hard sheet (credit card stock works really well) and slip then between the contacting spokes. In a few cases I have rebuilt wheels with fresh spokes (after confirming the rim's value/condition to go through this effort) when the old spokes are notched. Almost always it's the rear wheel. Andy
Old 10-29-19, 07:27 AM
DrRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I solved it!!!

I put a different wheel on - creaking still there.

Let me recap: its a creaking, more prevalent when pedalling. But this morning I noticed there was still a creaking even when coasting, which led me to think about frame (its a steel bike with a few rust issues around bottom bracket) and the seat post.

So I stood up and pedaled, noise went away. I stopped and moved the seat forward - no noise the rest of the ride.
Old 10-29-19, 07:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Spokes should be innocent until proven guilty. You made your mechanic do all that?
Old 10-29-19, 07:58 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRobert
I solved it!!!

I put a different wheel on - creaking still there.

Let me recap: its a creaking, more prevalent when pedalling. But this morning I noticed there was still a creaking even when coasting, which led me to think about frame (its a steel bike with a few rust issues around bottom bracket) and the seat post.

So I stood up and pedaled, noise went away. I stopped and moved the seat forward - no noise the rest of the ride.
So it was your saddle rails or seat clamp? I understand the noise while pedaling but not while coasting, unless you were coasting over rougher pavement.
Old 10-29-19, 07:59 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Spokes should be innocent until proven guilty. You made your mechanic do all that?
Yes, made him. Forced him to for a few scraps of green paper.

Old 10-29-19, 08:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I wonder if the mechanic suggested other sources then a wheel one. (Saying this knowing I didn't). Andy
Old 10-29-19, 08:53 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Spoke too soon? Ha, glad you found it...
Old 10-29-19, 09:33 AM
DrRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't got that far yet. Thinking about the type of post, it just about has to be the clamps. Moving the seat forward took some of the torque off I guess. I did notice that when I retightened the clamps bottomed out.
Old 10-29-19, 10:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
...Also, black spokes tend to creak at the cross.
^^This^^

Had that problem with my only wheelset with black spokes. I chased down everything else on the bike, including overhauling the hubs and bottom bracket, trying two different cassettes, pretty much everything I could think of... and the creaking kept returning.

I finally replaced the wheel with one from another bike, with plain spokes (stainless steel or aluminum, I don't recall now). No more creaking. That narrowed it down to the wheel.

If your wheel has black spokes, try wax between the spoke crossings. I use scented candle wax because it's softer and easier to squidge between the spoke crossings using my fingers. Works well but needs to be redone every month or so. That "fixed" the creaking noise, temporarily.