Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 11:09 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Good luck with that "alloy" thing, guys. People have been using it as shorthand for "aluminum alloy" for at least 50 years, by my reckoning.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-08-19, 09:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
As soon as I finish getting everybody to stop using the word "alloy" as a synonym for "aluminum" I'll take up "hydro".
After that, you can rub out "groupset."

I'll be waiting here to applaud, or "applo."
Old 11-09-19, 07:14 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Fun fact. You need a liquid to run hydraulic brakes. Water might not work as well as mineral oil but it would work.

In the 90s, a friend of mine filled his Magura rim brakes with Windex. No, I don't know why.

They stopped fine. Im not sure how long he left them like that. It certainly isn't ideal but it worked because of the moving of fluids. Fluids are Hydraulic.

Had he filled his brake lines with carrots and a few pages of Steinbeck, the bike wouldn't have stopped. Books and Carrots are not hydraulic.
Old 11-09-19, 10:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
A 6061 (etc) bike frame (or bike part) is an alloy though. To be precise it is a "6061 aluminum alloy". Thus calling it alloy, or aluminum, or alloy aluminum, or 6061 aluminum, or a 6061 alloy are all correct. You don't want a pure aluminum bike frame!

the following information came from dictionary and Wikipedia. Also having worked in the industry producing 6061, 6063, 6063A, A383 etc, alloy is the correct term. Fe, Si, Cu, Mn, Mg, Cr, Zn etc.... are all parts of aluminum alloys. We mostly produced 383 for 2 huge manufactures for dye cast alloy parts.

Alloy =
al·loynounnoun: alloy; plural noun: alloys/ˈaˌloi/

1. a metal made by combining two or more metallic elements, especially to give greater strength or resistance to corrosion."an alloy of nickel, bronze, and zinc"
verbverb: alloy; 3rd person present: alloys; past tense: alloyed; past participle: alloyed; gerund or present participle: alloying/ˈaˌloi,əˈloi/

1. mix (metals) to make an alloy."alloying tin with copper to make bronze"

________________________________________________________________________________

The International Alloy Designation System is the most widely accepted naming scheme for wrought alloys. Each alloy is given a four-digit number, where the first digit indicates the major alloying elements, the second — if different from 0 — indicates a variation of the alloy, and the third and fourth digits identify the specific alloy in the series. For example, in alloy 3105, the number 3 indicates the alloy is in the manganese series, 1 indicates the first modification of alloy 3005, and finally 05 identifies it in the 3000 series.[7]

1000 series are essentially pure aluminium with a minimum 99% aluminium content by weight and can be work hardened. 2000 series are alloyed with copper, can be precipitation hardened to strengths comparable to steel. Formerly referred to as duralumin, they were once the most common aerospace alloys, but were susceptible to stress corrosion cracking and are increasingly replaced by 7000 series in new designs. 3000 series are alloyed with manganese, and can be work hardened. 4000 series are alloyed with silicon. Variations of aluminium-silicon alloys intended for casting (and therefore not included in 4000 series) are also known as silumin. 5000 series are alloyed with magnesium, and offer superb corrosion resistance, making them suitable for marine applications. Also, 5083 alloy has the highest strength of not heat-treated alloys. Most 5000 series alloys include manganese as well. 6000 series are alloyed with magnesium and silicon. They are easy to machine, are weldable, and can be precipitation hardened, but not to the high strengths that 2000 and 7000 can reach. 6061 alloy is one of the most commonly used general-purpose aluminium alloys. 7000 series are alloyed with zinc, and can be precipitation hardened to the highest strengths of any aluminium alloy (ultimate tensile strength up to 700 MPa for the 7068 alloy). Most 7000 series alloys include magnesium and copper as well. 8000 series are alloyed with other elements which are not covered by other series. Aluminium-lithium alloys are an example.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________
You sound like a lawyer using meaningless verbiage to obfuscate the simple truth. Why don't you refer to steel framed bicycles as "alloy"? The purpose of an adjective is to describe or limit. Using the word "alloy" in this sense does the opposite.
Old 11-09-19, 11:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by thumpism

I'll be waiting here to applaud, or "applo."
"Groupset" at least is progress. I cringe when people use the term "Groupo" It's not so bad when they use Italian slang to refer to Campy components.
Old 11-09-19, 11:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
.Why don't you refer to steel framed bicycles as "alloy"? .
Because the 'alloy' of iron and carbon is known as "steel", or carbon steel.

when we start adding other elements it becomes known as alloy steel. Which is typically called by name. chromoly, stainless, Reynolds, etc....

Universal language, walk into any American car dealership and ask for car with alloy wheels, and it will be aluminum wheels. (unless they ride bicycles, then who knows what you'll get!! )

which is why I asked about hydraulics being called "Hydro" here. Hydraulic isn't typically referred to as hydro outside of the bicycle consumerism.
Old 11-09-19, 03:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
which is why I asked about hydraulics being called "Hydro" here. Hydraulic isn't typically referred to as hydro outside of the bicycle consumerism.
Consider also the origin of hydraulic bicycle (disk) brakes; it's an MTB technology; Downhill racing in particular, an adaptation/evolution of motocross/'dirt-bike' tech.
Owing to the MTB origin, there is a 'Dude' factor in the name to refer to them, as opposed to rim brakes, or even mechanical disk brakes.
As in: "Dude, sweet Hydros!"

You just want to argue then.

PS: They don't brake from the drops either.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-09-19, 06:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
You sound like a lawyer using meaningless verbiage to obfuscate the simple truth. Why don't you refer to steel framed bicycles as "alloy"? The purpose of an adjective is to describe or limit. Using the word "alloy" in this sense does the opposite.
Two reasons to call aluminum "alloy": first, technically, there is no such thing as an aluminum bike that isn't an alloy, and aluminum alloy is an awful lot of syllables while steel alloy is redundant. Second, "alloy" almost sounds like it's short for aluminum.

Seriously, is anyone actually getting confused by the uses of hydro and alloy?I

I'm much more annoyed by the use of the word "resin" instead of "plastic" . That's a pretty clear marketing euphemism.
Old 11-09-19, 06:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Talk about meaningless verbiage.
Language is never changing and fluid(some may say its 'hydro'). As such, terms used to describe an object or idea may be different than what that term has historically meant. Also, a word used in common language may mean something different than that same word used by healthcare professionals or engineers.

Steel means frames made of metal alloy that a magnet sticks to and has been a frame material since the 19th century.

Alloy means frames made of aluminum alloy.

It's really quite simple to understand, and demanding everyone change just because it isnt correct from an engineer's perspective is quite arrogant and annoying. Everyone I know that has an aluminum bike knows it's an aluminum bike. There is no confusion if I refer to their frame as alloy. Also, there is no confusion when I refer to all my frames as steel.
No confusion exists because we all accept the terms being used in a different way than an engineer at work.
It's a simple way to designate one frame material from another.

Keep tilting at those windmills.
Old 11-10-19, 10:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm much more annoyed by the use of the word "resin" instead of "plastic" . That's a pretty clear marketing euphemism.
I just googles both "resin" and "plastic" I don't think the words are synonyms but I honestly really don't know. The most interesting thing I found is there are 7 different types of plastic of which one is "other".
Old 11-10-19, 11:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
But the bigger question is-----------why use the complication of hydraulic brakes?
Old 11-10-19, 12:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
There is a difference between “resin” and ”plastic”. While both are polymeric organic compounds, their properties are generally different. Thermoplastics...which is what most people refer to as “plastic”...are polymers that can be reheated and reformed endlessly. Thermosetting plastics...resins...are polymers that are heated to form them but once formed they can’t be remelted and reformed. Heating them usually causes them to become more densely crosslinked. They also tend to decompose when heated.

Thermoplastics are things like polyethylene, polypropylene, PET, PTFE, etc. Thermosets are things like phenol/formaldehyde resins (Bakelite), many elastomers like rubber, epoxy resins.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-10-19, 03:18 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But the bigger question is-----------why use the complication of hydraulic brakes?
what is complicated about them?

I have a set of cheap Tektro hydraulic (hydros apparently) on my 2013 hardtail. I use the bike for year round riding, and for unfavorable conditions. Like when it is 10 below, with bar mitts. muddy, extreme dusty gravel rides, rain, salt, slush,

I have never bled them, the only time I had to mess with them other than changing pads was when I swapped from a 160 to a 180 rotor. because I ride in the winter grime, they get contaminated and I usually swap pads once a year.

So 6 years no adjustments, no malfunctions, they just work.

all it takes to swap pads, is one bolt. it's a 5 min job to do both the front and rear.
Old 11-10-19, 06:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is a difference between “resin” and ”plastic”. While both are polymeric organic compounds, their properties are generally different. Thermoplastics...which is what most people refer to as “plastic”...are polymers that can be reheated and reformed endlessly. Thermosetting plastics...resins...are polymers that are heated to form them but once formed they can’t be remelted and reformed. Heating them usually causes them to become more densely crosslinked. They also tend to decompose when heated.

Thermoplastics are things like polyethylene, polypropylene, PET, PTFE, etc. Thermosets are things like phenol/formaldehyde resins (Bakelite), many elastomers like rubber, epoxy resins.

Well, technically, your post identifies both as types of plastics, and while common usage would never identify tire rubber as a plastic, I think virtually everyone would call Bakelite a plastic.

The usages of "resins" that have annoyed me in particular have been for pedals and fenders.
Old 11-10-19, 07:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Many disciplines have their own variations in terminology.
Old 11-10-19, 07:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Well, technically, your post identifies both as types of plastics, and while common usage would never identify tire rubber as a plastic, I think virtually everyone would call Bakelite a plastic.
Rubber and elastomers are certainly plastics. They can be formed and molded. The problem with “common usage” is that it is often wrong. As chemists we differentiate between thermoplastic and thermoset plastic because they have different properties. They seem the same but there are major differences.

The usages of "resins" that have annoyed me in particular have been for pedals and fenders.
I’ve never heard anyone refer to fenders as being made from “resins”. You are correct to say that it is wrong to say that pedals are resinous. All of the plastic pedals I’ve seen are made of thermoplastics, probably polyethylene as are most fenders.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-10-19, 09:08 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Consider also the origin of hydraulic bicycle (disk) brakes; it's an MTB technology; Downhill racing in particular, an adaptation/evolution of motocross/'dirt-bike' tech.
Owing to the MTB origin, there is a 'Dude' factor in the name to refer to them, as opposed to rim brakes, or even mechanical disk brakes.
As in: "Dude, sweet Hydros!"

You just want to argue then.

PS: They don't brake from the drops either.
mtb originated in Cali, definitely a "bro" and "dude" factor
Old 11-11-19, 06:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Rubber and elastomers are certainly plastics. They can be formed and molded. The problem with “common usage” is that it is often wrong. As chemists we differentiate between thermoplastic and thermoset plastic because they have different properties. They seem the same but there are major differences.

I’ve never heard anyone refer to fenders as being made from “resins”. You are correct to say that it is wrong to say that pedals are resinous. All of the plastic pedals I’ve seen are made of thermoplastics, probably polyethylene as are most fenders.
https://www.amazon.ca/Material-Unive.../dp/B07XMGYJCJ

https://www.amazon.com/Avenir-67-27-.../dp/B002BVXZ5I
Old 11-11-19, 07:26 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
The hydraulic brakes feel really nice but I still like the simplicity of cable brakes and I can fix cable brakes when I’m out in the woods or in the middle of nowhere. Not so easy with hydraulic. I also don’t care much for electronic shifting ether!
Old 11-11-19, 08:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Is it February already?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-11-19, 08:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...andlebars.html

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-11-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 12:44 PM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The staying power of pedantic philosophy
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 11-11-19, 02:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I take it your car has cable brakes?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-11-19, 02:11 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
And "gruppo" for Asian-made parts.
Old 11-11-19, 02:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I take it your car has cable brakes?
I take it your bike brakes have to stop a 1200 pound vehicle going 40 mph?

Really not a good comparison. My bikes don't have catalytic converters, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.