Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Langster Pro - rear brake, anyone?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-15-05, 09:24 AM
psn
Physics Junkie

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, GT Pulse, Specialized S-Works E5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, one last question of the rear brake kind, I promise...

There is a nicely priced 2004 Langster Pro on eBay right now (don't you dare poach it!), and I'm tempted to bid on it, as it would be a good bit cheaper than some of the other new Al-framed options. However, as you might have gathered from my Felt TK2 thread, I'd like to run a freewheel every once in a while and want to have a rear brake for such occasions. I know that the fork of the Langster Pro is not drilled - that's not a huge problem, as one can always snag another carbon fork to run a front brake. The rear of the bike is another story - the owner of the bike says that there is a "vertical opening" in the seat stay bridge, but it is not the right size or shape for a brake. Has anyone here ever drilled out this "opening" for a brake or know someone who has? Muchas gracias in advance!
Old 08-15-05, 12:25 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you can rig one of these up...

https://cgi.ebay.com/Track-Bike-Brake...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-10-19, 04:50 AM
rain5656

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psn

There is a nicely priced 2004 Langster Pro on eBay right now (don't you dare poach it!), and I'm tempted to bid on it, as it would be a good bit cheaper than some of the other new Al-framed options. However, as you might have gathered from my Felt TK2 thread, I'd like to run a freewheel every once in a while and want to have a rear brake for such occasions. I know that the fork of the Langster Pro is not drilled - that's not a huge problem, as one can always snag another carbon fork to run a front brake. The rear of the bike is another story - the owner of the bike says that there is a "vertical opening" in the seat stay bridge, but it is not the right size or shape for a brake. Has anyone here ever drilled out this "opening" for a brake or know someone who has? Muchas gracias in advance!
Hey, I'm in the same shoe, can you give me some advice or any info about possibilities

Thanks

Vince
Old 10-10-19, 06:28 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by psn

I searched for a pic of the bridge and couldn't find one. Personally I'd be very hesitant to modify it. If you do, see if there is some way to reinforce it. You also might have clearance issues.

Sometimes trying to make a bike into something it isn't - isn't worth the trouble. YMMV.
Old 10-10-19, 10:10 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Wouldn't do it. If running a rear brake is a must, it's the not the right frame.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 10-11-19, 02:33 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Wouldn't do it. If running a rear brake is a must, it's the not the right frame.

Nice frames with track ends and native rear brake mounts are in extremely short supply. Sometimes you want a brake, or are legally required to have one, and you'd rather not let that reduce your frame options to a very, very narrow set of choices.

There are some decent brake mounts out there now. Something like this could do nicely. Additionally, it's always possible to fabricate something.
Old 10-15-19, 03:05 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 66 Posts
Coaster brake...seriously, they work great.