Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in heat?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in heat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 05:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
103 where I was riding today but I finished before it got that high. I didn't even have to use a rectal thermometer. Really, 103 isn't so bad if I'm not climbing and I have enough water.

Some of us worked outside in high heat. I worked as a mechanic until I was 65 in 100 plus weather. Some days if I had to work in the direct sun it was pretty rough but normally I was in the shade. Usually did 10 cars per day, sometimes more than 20.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-17-23, 07:18 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I must note that for my ride yesterday, it was 82* and 45% humidity - almost getting to be long sleeve or jacket weather!
Likes For JustaJoe:
Old 08-17-23, 08:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It was 90F in France today with low humidity, I drank 2.5L on a 3 hour ride and did not overheat one bit. I probably could have used another litre. The oddest thing? I got sunburn. I ride in the middle of the day all the time without sunscreen back in NJ and legs are deeply tanned.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-17-23, 08:57 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It was 90F in France today with low humidity, I drank 2.5L on a 3 hour ride and did not overheat one bit. I probably could have used another litre. The oddest thing? I got sunburn. I ride in the middle of the day all the time without sunscreen back in NJ and legs are deeply tanned.
I wish I was younger and could do a bike tour through Europe.
Old 08-17-23, 09:23 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
People still do not get it. It is the heat that kills by raising the body's core temperature and by the time it gets to 102 degrees one should be heading where it is cooler than 80 degrees to start to recover. The heat waves in places like Phoenix are deadly in part as it stays above 90 degrees through the night and people who lack access to air conditioning get worse and worse until there hearts shut down. Even a rectal thermometer is an inexpensive way to determine body core temperature accurately.
I grew up here. Playing outside summer/winter in the 60s & 70s. I can remember my Mom telling us kids to go outside and play. "Sunshine is good for you!" The thermometer on the front porch, in the shade, said 120 F. If we overheated she would make us sit in the shade and drink cold water. Back then having to sit still was almost a punishment!

Nobody I knew had AC back then. We had swamp coolers. On a humid day less than 80 F wasn't always possible.

Started riding consistently again in Aug '08. Heck of a time to start. Been bike commuting year round since. Most years the afternoon ride will consistently get over 115 F. Found if I took it easy as the weather changed my body would acclimate. My morning commute is 5 mi in the 80- low 90s. The afternoon commute is 5-7 mi in the 105+ range. Don't think it got over 118 this year. Too many people seem to think it's a death sentence to go outside this time of year.

Not telling anyone what to do. But people have been living here for a long time. Wherever you're at, consider riding a mile, 1/2 mi out and 1/2 mi back. How bad is it? You might be surprised.

BTW: When it gets cold I'm a weenie. Over layering to the point where my back is sweating and my fingertips are numb..
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 08-17-23, 09:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I wish I was younger and could do a bike tour through Europe.
Yes, it is nice to only be 65 yo.....I am doing 1218 km Paris Brest Paris over a few days next week.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-18-23, 05:59 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The heat that is killing people is largely reflected heat from pavement (170 degrees in Phoenix) or the ceiling, windows, and walls of poorly insulated buildings. Half of what we feel as heat is from the ambient air and half is from reflected heat. When you stand near a fireplace what is warming you is reflected heat from the fire.

An AC set for 75 degrees is going to make a well insulated house feel much cooler than a poorly insulated house with the same temperature air coming out of the AC unit.

Helps to cycle early in the day before the pavement has heated up, unless you live in Arizona where the temperture cools down very little overnight.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-18-23, 06:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The heat that is killing people is largely reflected heat from pavement (170 degrees in Phoenix) or the ceiling, windows, and walls of poorly insulated buildings. Half of what we feel as heat is from the ambient air and half is from reflected heat. When you stand near a fireplace what is warming you is reflected heat from the fire.

An AC set for 75 degrees is going to make a well insulated house feel much cooler than a poorly insulated house with the same temperature air coming out of the AC unit.

Helps to cycle early in the day before the pavement has heated up, unless you live in Arizona where the temperture cools down very little overnight.
the low in the morning will be 85 or 86. The high today was 111. The high tomorrow will be 109.
Old 08-18-23, 06:32 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I'm not in triple digit heat, but my old body is starting to fade. The same ride as 2 weeks ago seems a lot harder. Or is it just me? I ride 6 days/week averaging 25 miles/ride. I'm already heading out while it's still dark. Can't wait for fall to get here.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 08-18-23, 07:31 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I'm not in triple digit heat, but my old body is starting to fade. The same ride as 2 weeks ago seems a lot harder. Or is it just me? I ride 6 days/week averaging 25 miles/ride. I'm already heading out while it's still dark. Can't wait for fall to get here.
I am with you about ready for fall. I would love for the high to be around 85*.
I can’t get acclimated to the heat since I retired. I spent 20 years working in it- asphalt streets, concrete, mowing, weed eating and edging a medium size city. I have gotten soft.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-18-23, 09:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I am with you about ready for fall. I would love for the high to be around 85*.
I can’t get acclimated to the heat since I retired. I spent 20 years working in it- asphalt streets, concrete, mowing, weed eating and edging a medium size city. I have gotten soft.
You are having an unusually hot summer, yes? Are you doing something different than when you were working? When I was working I would drink a gallon and a half on hot days plus more when I got home.

Since I retired I don't spend nearly as much time in high heat. I also don't do many 8 hour rides any more and I have been pretty happy with the way I've acclimated the last few years. Of course, it hasn't been as hot here as where you live.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-18-23, 11:22 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by big john
You are having an unusually hot summer, yes? Are you doing something different than when you were working? When I was working I would drink a gallon and a half on hot days plus more when I got home.

Since I retired I don't spend nearly as much time in high heat. I also don't do many 8 hour rides any more and I have been pretty happy with the way I've acclimated the last few years. Of course, it hasn't been as hot here as where you live.
I spend too much time indoors with ac. I have tried acclimating but it is difficult.
I will get acclimated but it will be after the high temp falls under 100*. It’s just too hot.
When I was in my 30s and 40s I played softball in the heat with no problems. But once I passed 60 a lot oc glthings changed, and I am not happy about most of them. I ain’t giving up, but damn, I wasn’t thinking about all this when I made plans.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 08-19-23, 12:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
When you stand near a fireplace what is warming you is reflected heat from the fire.
That’s *radiated* heat you feel from a fire.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-20-23, 09:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
My Garmin Edge gives me after each ride in the hotter months, “X% heat acclimated”. Never made it to 100% yet, and if I ever did, I wouldn’t believe it.

Likes For rsbob: