Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Just bought a Wahoo Kickr Snap, training App?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 06:06 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had an Elite non-connected trainer for years, it has a handlebar mounted power/distance/time display and manually adjustable (1-5) resistance. I just bought a Kickr Snap (used ver 2). I set it up I have a dedicated wheel w/trainer tire plan to keep my second bike on it mostly full time.

Question: what training app would you recommend? I used to be a Cyclo-Club member and bought lots of the training DVDs and it's definitely a good program. But now with a "connected" trainer I'd like to try something new. When you register the Wahoo they offer 30 or 60 day trials for Trainer Road, Zwift, SufferFest, Strava Premium,KinoMap, Rouvy. The last two I never heard of.

Any wisdom on the above mentioned subject would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll pick one at a time and do the trial and decide for myself.

Thanks,

John
Old 10-02-18, 05:03 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using Zwift for 2 years with my Kickr SNAP and I'm a big fan. I'm not a racer, others who are seem to often prefer Trainer Road, SufferFest, etc.

But, Zwift has been the only thing I've ever tried (did all the free trials, including beta tests of ones like VirtuGo that are starting up to compete with Zwift) that kept me on the indoor trainer - enough variety of courses, workouts, races, challenges, etc. and variability within rides that I don't immediately get bored.
Old 10-03-18, 01:09 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I just got my Kickr Core yesterday, also after training with a dumb trainer. I've been using Zwift and The Sufferfest, and between the two I stay engaged. With Zwift I find the group rides to be a way to stay focused on a ride, and with the Sufferfest the video keeps you going with some of the comments, although once you've done a video a few times it gets repetitive. They are nevertheless well done. I haven't tried Rouvy or the others. If you have an Elemnt or Bolt you can also easily have it control the trainer to simulate your favorite outdoor rides. The more options you have the better to keep you going. Do the trials and my advice would be to pick two so you have options. Isn't your fitness worth about $30/month? Cheaper than a gym in any case.

Also, with any training app, do the special events so you feel like you are part of something, not just riding alone in the garage. I did the Tour of Sufferlandria last year. 9 days of pain, agony and suffering.

I'll add that the Kickr Core is a blast, and very quiet. You can't hear it at all over a fan. And you can't cheat a smart trainer since the instant you let up the resistance increases.

Last edited by zacster; 10-03-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 06:27 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend performing interval repeats using the free Wahoo Fitness App manual ERG mode. When boiled down to the essentials, all of the training software plans are the same, including a disregard for the principle of individuality. You're much better off personalizing your training according to your unique fitness, load/rate tolerance, recovery requirements, schedule, power curve and improvement potential.

FTP test, general to specific, long to short intervals, low to high intensity. They're all the same and there are no secrets anymore. If you think you're getting secret sauce. Think again.

If you absolutely must be told what to do, then I recommend Zwift. At least with Zwift your getting something for your money with the virtual and social stuff and they don't appear as deceitful in their claims as the others are. You can also see all the workouts and training plans on whatsonzwift.com. The vast majority of the workouts are needless complex but that's true with all the software. What you can do, however, is convert these workouts to interval repeat workouts by simply distributing the zone distribution across dedicated interval repeat workouts instead of randomly vomiting the intensity throughout all of the workouts to give the illusion of some sophistication when it's really closer to simply fingerpainting.

With repeats, you simply increase or decrease combined interval duration by adjusting the number or duration of intervals of the next workout or even in real time while you're on the trainer. Didn't feel like the workout was hard enough by the end of the workout? Add as many intervals as it takes to (mostly) empty the tank. Not thinking you will be able to complete the second interval of a 2 x 20? Split it into a 2 x 10.

One last thing is that I never understood how people need to be entertained during intervals. I'm too busy with suffering and relishing my rest intervals. I seriously don't get it but motivation has never been an issue for me but I thought that's what made me a cyclist. Who knows?

I'll attach a starter plan here as soon as I can but my work computer won't allow me to upload images or get to mediafire.

Edit - Here are starter plans. Detailed guidance is forthcoming on these.

For longer rides, simply lock the power at 70% FTP, watch a movie and take as many microbreaks as you want to stay comfortable. I was surprised by how long I can ride on the trainer with it controls the power for me and I simply forget about it while watching TV.

Last edited by fstrnu; 10-05-18 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added starter plans
Old 10-05-18, 01:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
If all there were were numbers and charts, I'd lose interest really quickly. It is how the apps keep you engaged that makes them worth the money. I stay engaged with Zwift in group rides because there is chat, the desire to stick with the group and the desire to finish. With The Sufferfest there is the motivation in the video. Yes, you can do the same rides without it, but I'd probably give up after 15-20 minutes. I've tried doing rides using just the bike computer but never finish. I've owned a trainer for about 20 years now but only in the last year with Zwift and The Sufferfest did I actually use it more than once every blue moon.
Old 10-05-18, 04:52 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all for the comments.
Since my original post I played around with the wahoofitness app and pretty much understand the advantages it offers. So far I really like it, I'll do come workouts using the apps manual modes then pull the trigger on either Zwift or Traineroad or both as the winter forces indoor training more.
Anyone have a good training playlist they want to share. I have a huge iTunes library to choose from so I probably wont need to buy much. I like working out to high energy music.

Thanks,
John