Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Surly Pacer Frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 04:40 PM
Roadtrip

Bikes: 2010 Trek Pure, 2008 FX 7.3 WSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Pacer Frame

Looking at a Surly and wondering if it would be "right" for the larger rider. I'm down to 269 (from 294) without gear and reading that some say there is a bit of flex in the frame and this was coming from someone reportedly at 190#.

Any Clydes or Athena's here have a Surly?

Thanks!!
Shannon
Old 11-07-10, 04:49 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I don't have the Pacer, but I own 3 steel framed bike and a modern Titanium bike.

All bike frames flex and moderate flex is a good quality. Moderate frame flex will allow the bike to ride well and improves contact with the road. Excessive flex while pedaling can be a problem for sprinters and climbers at the Tour de France, but is not an important issue for 95% of the recreational riders in the world.

If your riding for fitness, the pacer will be great. I would concern yourself with a solid set of wheels and tires and not be too concerned about the frame flex.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-08-10 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-14-10, 11:20 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I would opt for a heavier frame, I rode a reynolds 531 in college at a very muscular 230# and found it had a lot of flex even at moderate speeds. I would look at the Cross Check or LHT and gear it up however you like.
Old 11-14-10, 11:40 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
There are two kinds of flex, to oversimplify things a bit.

The first is a noodly frame, and that is just awful.
I get the feeling Surly has some QC issues, because
occasionally you hear about a Surly frame being noodly.
I tried a LHT that I felt had too much flex in the BB area.

The other kind is just a slight bit of give when you pedal.
It's called planing, and some think it makes a bike more energy efficient.
I am one of those people.

This boils down to bucks. At the moment I am riding a Gunnar Sport.
The frame is a great deal like the Pacer, but it costs 3 times as much.

It's also worth it.

When you test a bike, find a hill. Get out of the saddle and accelerate up the
hill briskly. You should feel a tiny bit of give. But if it's noodly, it will be
obvious, the bike just won't go like it should in that situation.
Old 11-15-10, 09:37 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Road trip,

I would test ride a few bike. REI has several steel framed bikes. The Raleigh Clubman https://www.rei.com/product/796450 is close to what a Surly Pacer will ride like.

Also ride an aluminum bike in the same price range. The Aluminum bike will be stiffer. However you will increase the amount of road buzz that you will feel in the seat and hands with a lower cost aluminum bike.

I went with steel when purchasing a road bike two years ago. I was able to lose weight quickly, mostly because I enjoyed the ride of the bike. I rode 5000 miles my first year on a road bike, and the ride quality of the steel frame made those miles enjoyable.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-15-10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 11:08 AM
MNRon
29er Rider

Bikes: Gary Fisher ARC Pro, Cannondale Caffein 29er Lefty hardtail, building a Kona Major One, Custom steel frame from early 80's with Campy Nuovo Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm as big as you, and I love my Pacer. I'm also looking at a LHT for gravel rides. (The Pace can't support the wider tires I'm looking for.) I'll agree that if you get out of the saddle and hammer on climbs you might want something stiffer than a Surly, but I don't ride that way anymore and like the comfort offered by the Surly line. To each their own, but don't be afraid of the Pacer.
Old 11-15-10, 09:45 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a cross check.. It is pretty heavy duty tubing and suprsingly stiff and uncomfortable.

Was a bit squishy in the BB when hammering (6'4'' 245 down from 295 when I got bike) - I upgraded to a Campy Ultra Torque Crank and that solved the BB issue.

Still I preferred the 86 Specilaized Allez with the same crank the steel had a better spring to it.

Both are gone replaced by a Marinoni Sportivo in Zona Steel. Perfect
Old 12-05-10, 02:29 PM
dbh

Bikes: '85 Merckx Professional, '91 De Rosa Professional, Surly CrossCheck, '93 Merckx Corsa, '07 Merckx Premium team bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redvespablur
I had a cross check.. It is pretty heavy duty tubing and suprsingly stiff and uncomfortable.

Was a bit squishy in the BB when hammering (6'4'' 245 down from 295 when I got bike) - I upgraded to a Campy Ultra Torque Crank and that solved the BB issue.

Still I preferred the 86 Specilaized Allez with the same crank the steel had a better spring to it.

Both are gone replaced by a Marinoni Sportivo in Zona Steel. Perfect
I've got to say this is the first time I've ever heard someone call a cross check stuff and uncomfortable. Mine feels like a wet noodle, which is fine because I use it primarily as a commuter and gravel trail cruiser, with a little cross racing thrown in. I'm sure this is something that a new set of wheels or tires could take care of.
Old 12-06-10, 09:43 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm down to 215 from nearly 300 just 6 years ago. I started riding a Raleigh Gran Sport that I picked up online as my distance/commuter and rewarded myself with a Pacer this past spring. It's become my bike of choice. I commute on it, do centuries and pretty much everything else. I have a BD cross bike that I ride when the weather is too nasty for my precious B-17 and an old Schwinn Super Sport converted to a single speed for my snowier commutes, but the Pacer is my favorite for everyday riding. I say check one out if you can, it's a great bike.