Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 07:02 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Bryan Fogel
Thanks
Originally Posted by Doge
Name sounded familiar, but that is it. I see him in Wiki - pegged to Boulder.
No knowledge of him 1st hand.
I'd say if you pic a random <50% there is a 10% chance I've heard of them, but the better riders, most have heard of. SoCal is small. See the same riders over and over.
Ah ... in the documentary he's training in the Malibu area and in a subsequent interview he references local riders having mixed feedback and one pro that was really pissed at him. Given that, I figured he had some name recognition down your way, racing or not.
Old 10-17-17, 04:19 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
This bothers me (the DQs) https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...hp?compid=1917
I agree he broke the rules. I really don't admire him, never did as a person, and him being a jerk is OT to being a cyclist. But I wish I had his numbers to see. Why can't we see how he did (and do the dope interpolation)?

Lance was and is still representative of something other than doping and cheating.
I wonder how he got license number 1917.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-17-17, 05:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I wonder how he got license number 1917.
I think all license numbers are in order of when they're bought. I believe there was a reshuffle at some point, and then he would have been the 1,917th person to buy the current license.

I'm like 179xxx. It's interesting how few there are of those around here, mostly only in masters at this point. Most 1/2s seem to be in the 3xxxxxx around here, and newer guys in the 4xxxxx.

Every once in a while I'll see a five digit person and know they've been around for a good bit.
Old 10-17-17, 05:23 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I think all license numbers are in order of when they're bought. I believe there was a reshuffle at some point, and then he would have been the 1,917th person to buy the current license.

I'm like 179xxx. It's interesting how few there are of those around here, mostly only in masters at this point. Most 1/2s seem to be in the 3xxxxxx around here, and newer guys in the 4xxxxx.

Every once in a while I'll see a five digit person and know they've been around for a good bit.
Thing is that I had a license before he did, and my old license was 25664, L25664 to be exact. One year the licenses were reissued and I got (B)31337, which is what it is now.

I assumed the original L1917 didn't renew, but the guy that had old L1852 started racing in the early 80s, not sure what his number is now (he didn't keep his license over the years). LA started racing long after but my understanding was that they didn't reuse numbers, although when they went to the B series maybe they did.

Not a huge deal, I just expected his license to be higher.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-17-17, 05:58 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts

I think the reshuffle was when they went from USCF to USAC? The weird thing is I wasn't active at that time & had a 5 digit USCF number, L72360. When I picked it back up a few years ago I was in the USAC system as a Cat 2 with a 4 digit number. I thought perhaps they reissued numbers alphabetically? My current join date coincides with my old International License so that may be what they went by?
Old 10-17-17, 07:58 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I believe I'm a 5, could be a 4, but know it is not 6. Always hard to find when you take 30 years off.
Old 10-17-17, 08:35 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Back in doping news, Levi's house burned down in Santa Rosa. Feel bad for the guy =\
Old 10-17-17, 09:00 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Back in doping news, Levi's house burned down in Santa Rosa. Feel bad for the guy =\
what does this have to do with doping?
Old 10-17-17, 09:14 AM
furiousferret

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cling/2344061/
Old 10-17-17, 09:24 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so he gets caught cheating at sports, happens to be one of the many many people who've lost their house in a fire and he's the one you choose to feel bad for?
Old 10-17-17, 12:57 PM
furiousferret

I'm a horrible person.
Old 10-17-17, 01:18 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
what does this have to do with doping?

The house that doping built?
Old 10-17-17, 01:32 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read he had moved out of it and was in the process of selling/listing.
Nearly all of his belongings were already gone and just lost a handful of boxes of old race junk/memorabilia.

So really, he's just getting a good insurance check for the lost house.

I'll also note that he was pretty humble about it, something like "I just lost some things, other people lost everything, worry about them."
Old 10-19-17, 10:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Is this kinda like having a motor in your bike?

Iditarod dog sled team tests positive for Tramadol in drug doping test
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...D=ansmsnnews11
Old 10-20-17, 04:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Perhaps if it was epo. Being a synthetic opioid type thing I figure the issues would be more like the dog hurting itself by confusing to perform through pain barriers.
Old 10-20-17, 07:42 PM
carpediemracing 

I think doping animals is sort of a given. Horses, of course - in some states it's legal, in others it's not, hence it's hard for a horse to win the triple crown nowadays.

A rider I know of in the area has EPO for their cat. I don't know if I should put the word cat like "cat", like, he has EPO for his "cat" nudge nudge wink wink.
Old 10-20-17, 08:55 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think there is a tip line for that.
Old 10-21-17, 07:16 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by hack
I think there is a tip line for that.
Yes, if he was a racer. Rider... not really a thing. And I really think it's for his cat, although I don't know for sure one way or another.
Old 10-21-17, 07:34 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Yes, if he was a racer. Rider... not really a thing. And I really think it's for his cat, although I don't know for sure one way or another.
Cats with chronic kidney failure are sometimes treated with erythropoetin if they become anemic. Erythropoeitin is a hormone made by the kidneys and the lack of it is one of the things that goes wrong with kidney failure.

Cats typically have slowly progressive kidney disease, so sometimes can be managed medically for many years.
Old 10-21-17, 11:40 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Cats with chronic kidney failure are sometimes treated with erythropoetin if they become anemic. Erythropoeitin is a hormone made by the kidneys and the lack of it is one of the things that goes wrong with kidney failure.

Cats typically have slowly progressive kidney disease, so sometimes can be managed medically for many years.
the breadth of knowledge of the members of this forum is impressive!
Old 10-25-17, 11:42 AM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
god, does the "hill climb national champion 2017" get to wear the stripes for life?

at some point there is a very noticeable dilution of the meaning of it all. whether this matters or not is up to you.
Have you ever raced your bike up Pikes Peak? 10% at 14,000' feet is kind of hard. Especially after an hour plus of racing. I can think of a LOT of different national championship events less deserving stars and strips than that.

Kevin
Old 10-25-17, 12:07 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nslckevin
Have you ever raced your bike up Pikes Peak? 10% at 14,000' feet is kind of hard. Especially after an hour plus of racing. I can think of a LOT of different national championship events less deserving stars and strips than that.

Kevin
I think what TR is saying is that it's essentially stripes for Zwift racing. Hillclimbs are pure w/kg.

I don't really have an opinion other than I dislike one of the winners for being an arrogant ****, but that's irrespective of the event.
Old 10-25-17, 01:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

They do have a long history in other countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis..._Championships
Old 10-25-17, 01:29 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nslckevin

Kevin
hey nslckevin--
thanks for finding this and joining the conversation. that conversation happened a while back (months ago?), so i can only assume you were searching for that topic.

did you happen to read the posts leading up to the one you quoted? i ask because i think the discussion was more broad than the one post you chose to quote.

it strikes me that wearing the stars and stripes comes from our desire to emulate the professionals; as amateurs, we've co-opted that. that's fine (no matter how much time any of us spend, it is a hobby), and i've certainly devoted much of my time and money to pursuing a jersey. we do so to compete against the best competition. i think the effort to win any of these races is admirable even if somewhat arbitrary and selfish.

that said, an abundance of national championship events has cropped up in the past few years. as one example, the fat bike championship was put together pretty quickly it's first year (just a couple years ago) and was held on a golf course that does not represent the breadth of what fatbiking is; also, attendance was pretty low as one might expect for a last-minute, first year event.

as is amateur practice, the guy or girl who won his age group in that event puts the stars and stripes on the sleeve of every jersey s/he has, for every event s/he enters -- mountain bike race, road race, hill climb. i don't know what you think aboutt hat, but it often makes me smile. (hell, i'd probably do it if i won, and i still laugh at that thought.)

a cynic could argue (successfully, probably), that this is a big and effective cash grab for USAC as the organization that has domain over this stuff for the professionals and, by extension, all the trickle-down.

what about "gravel worlds" (yes, that's a thing) and single-speed world championships (also a thing)?

i don't know how you placed in this year's hill climb (i presume you won); surely you recognize that this was not a statement about the difficulty of a specific event or you, as a winner, but it stands as an example of the effect we've seen.

and, yes, i live at altitude and have done many events at high elevation, so i'm acutely aware of aerobic demands at these elevations. when we get into a discussion of whether events are "deserving" (your word), the arguments get pretty thin; there are nuances to the meaning of "hard."

some people could argue that a hill climb is watts-to-kilo and limited tactics. others might say a track event is "just" a few minutes -- or less -- of pain.

we have sprinters here who have very low FTP but still manage to win races. their perspective on a worthy challenge might be vastly different to yours (or mine). even for something that we could seemingly agree on -- the difficulty of an hour at FTP -- is not so easy; for you, an hour at FTP may not be as (subjectively) "hard" as an hour at FTP for those riders.

more events, more age group splits = more national champions.

i can participate in all of this and still appreciate the folly in it.
Old 10-25-17, 01:30 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
They do have a long history in other countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis..._Championships
i clicked but didn't see age groups in there. did i miss it? are jerseys awarded for those sub-divisions in the UK?

genuinely curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.