Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 12-12-17, 07:52 PM
SpartyinWI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=HLW;20047053]What are your thoughts on the Thunder Burt's? They seem to be really popular among 650b bikes. Do you ride mainly gravel or do you like to do some trail/singletrack too? Were you able to clear the 2.1 on a Renegade or did you run them on another bike?

The Terrene's have been great so far. I have the light casing version set up tubeless on a set of American Classic Wide Lightning's. I'm 160lbs and for my weight have found 30 front, 35 rear psi to be good for road and gravel and 25/30 good for trail riding. Much lower than that and they start to squirm during hard cornering. They performed a lot better on the trail than I expected, even with the leaf cover and damp conditions, they didn't really spin out, especially if you remain seated. On pavement they don't roll as well as a slick, but there's no vibration or noise like with a nobby.

Too bad the Renegade doesn't offer a 650b option like Kona does with the Rove, it makes the bike so much more capable off road.

I am in first gravel bike buying mode now and plan to test ride a Kona Rove NRB over Christmas break. At $1,700 though I don't see any difference in components over the $1,200 Expat, except for the 650Bs. Not saying the Rove is a bad buy but it seems the Expat is a great buy.
Old 12-13-17, 04:08 PM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpartyinWI
I am in first gravel bike buying mode now and plan to test ride a Kona Rove NRB over Christmas break. At $1,700 though I don't see any difference in components over the $1,200 Expat, except for the 650Bs. Not saying the Rove is a bad buy but it seems the Expat is a great buy.
I'd go ahead and demo every bike in the category you can get your hands on. At this point every bike brand offers one. I'd go with the Jamis for the steel frame alone, but that's just my personal opinion having never ridden the Rove. The only other component on the Rove that's different besides the wheelset is the FSA Adventure crankset. I recently bought the SLK version and really like the wider spaced chainrings. A compact 50/34 is fine for the roads and gravel, but it's nice to have the lower gear if you want to mess around on the trails. The Expat does have additional mounts on the fork though, if you plan on bikepacking/touring. In terms of value, if you plan on making no upgrades, the Jamis is the better deal in my opinion. I'm the type of person though, who buys a bike and continues to make upgrades until I get rid of it.
Old 12-15-17, 04:05 PM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danny01
The 650b option is interesting. I'm planning on getting a set of 650b's for touring on the Jamis. Another thing to note is that my Expat fork had enough clearance to fit a 700x35 and a fender in between, but my new fork barely clears the same wheel/tire combo without the fender. This is to say that the fork on my 2018 Escapade has much less clearance than the fork on my 2016 Expat. Still trying to figure out a solution for a front fender.
This sounds like a move in the wrong direction for the Renegade. The steel bikes are still claiming 700x42/650x47 on the site. Is the clearance in the rear this the same? For awhile I ran a 35mm tire/45mm fender combo on my '17 Expat with no problems, could have even run a 50mm fender no problem. If anything, you would think Jamis would increase the clearance on the Renegade, especially the carbon models. All of the pictures you see on the bike reviews and bike show coverage sites show a fork that looks to have every bit the clearance as previous models.
Old 12-15-17, 07:27 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HLW
This sounds like a move in the wrong direction for the Renegade. The steel bikes are still claiming 700x42/650x47 on the site. Is the clearance in the rear this the same? For awhile I ran a 35mm tire/45mm fender combo on my '17 Expat with no problems, could have even run a 50mm fender no problem. If anything, you would think Jamis would increase the clearance on the Renegade, especially the carbon models. All of the pictures you see on the bike reviews and bike show coverage sites show a fork that looks to have every bit the clearance as previous models.
I don't know if it is a manufacturing mistake or what. But there definitely is less clearance. The rear is fine. Fits the Same wheel, tire and fender combo from my 2016 Expat frame.
Old 12-18-17, 11:32 PM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Escapade model is finally up on their site.

Renegade® Escapade
Old 12-24-17, 08:30 PM
SpartyinWI

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Escapade model is finally up on their site.
Nice. Interesting that this Escapade has WTB Frequency Team wheels. I might see if my LBS can put those on an Expat for me.
Old 01-17-18, 09:59 AM
Sakriv

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 650b option is interesting. I'm planning on getting a set of 650b's for touring on the Jamis. Another thing to note is that my Expat fork had enough clearance to fit a 700x35 and a fender in between, but my new fork barely clears the same wheel/tire combo without the fender. This is to say that the fork on my 2018 Escapade has much less clearance than the fork on my 2016 Expat. Still trying to figure out a solution for a front fender.
I contacted Jamis for clarification on the Renegade Escapade's fork clearance after seeing your post and they said "the fork is the same fork that we have been using and will fit 700x42 and 650x47 tires," but they asked me for a picture facing the front of your bike, and also want to know what size frame you have and what size tires those are in your pictures (I hope you don't mind that I showed them your pic from this thread and also the one you posted in the Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread). I already told them you said 700x35 but I guess they want to confirm. I will pass along the frontal picture, frame size, and tire size info to Jamis if you post them. I can't send you a private message because I'm under 10 posts.
Old 01-17-18, 06:38 PM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sakriv
I contacted Jamis for clarification on the Renegade Escapade's fork clearance after seeing your post and they said "the fork is the same fork that we have been using and will fit 700x42 and 650x47 tires," but they asked me for a picture facing the front of your bike, and also want to know what size frame you have and what size tires those are in your pictures (I hope you don't mind that I showed them your pic from this thread and also the one you posted in the Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread). I already told them you said 700x35 but I guess they want to confirm. I will pass along the frontal picture, frame size, and tire size info to Jamis if you post them. I can't send you a private message because I'm under 10 posts.
Tires are 700c x 35 Schwalbe G One. Bike size is 48cm. In the smaller 44 and 48 sizes, these bikes come with 650b wheels stock for the 2018 models. This probably explains the reduced vertical clearance in the fork. If you could ask them if the fork on the 44 and 48 have less clearance, I would appreciate it. To reiterate, these wheels and tires in the picture were removed from a 2016 48cm Expat. It had fenders front and rear with plenty of clearance. Same exact wheels and tires do fit with a fender on a 2018 48cm Escapade on the rear, but front tire barely clears the top of the fork WITHOUT the fender.

Old 01-17-18, 06:42 PM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like how you joined in 2011, but this is your first post.
Old 01-18-18, 09:16 AM
Sakriv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires are 700c x 35 Schwalbe G One. Bike size is 48cm. In the smaller 44 and 48 sizes, these bikes come with 650b wheels stock for the 2018 models. This probably explains the reduced vertical clearance in the fork. If you could ask them if the fork on the 44 and 48 have less clearance, I would appreciate it. To reiterate, these wheels and tires in the picture were removed from a 2016 48cm Expat. It had fenders front and rear with plenty of clearance. Same exact wheels and tires do fit with a fender on a 2018 48cm Escapade on the rear, but front tire barely clears the top of the fork WITHOUT the fender.
Jamis responded: "Yeah, the smaller frames have different limits. 44/48CM limits are 650x47 tire and a 700x25c."

I like how you joined in 2011, but this is your first post.
I was waiting for the right time to strike.
Old 01-18-18, 01:36 PM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jamis responded: "Yeah, the smaller frames have different limits. 44/48CM limits are 650x47 tire and a 700x25c."

I was waiting for the right time to strike.
Pretty much the answer I was expecting. I got lucky in getting a 35mm gravel tire in there...
Old 01-22-18, 09:20 AM
PadreRE

Bikes: Renegade17/Karakoram14

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
renegade 17

I ordered the wings of different for the renegade of the year 17 700x36с
I decided that these are the best that I can get now (
SKS Commuter Bluemel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31cxjw23-sI.jpg (52.5 KB, 579 views)
SHpgTucjW1I.jpg (39.1 KB, 577 views)
XwNwH-C_lLg.jpg (43.1 KB, 576 views)
Old 01-22-18, 09:26 AM
PadreRE

Bikes: Renegade17/Karakoram14

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the wings of different for the renegade of the year 17 700x36c
SKS Bluemel Commuter
Attached Images
31cxjw23-sI.jpg (52.5 KB, 632 views)
SHpgTucjW1I.jpg (39.1 KB, 629 views)
XwNwH-C_lLg.jpg (43.1 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by PadreRE; 01-22-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-28-18, 10:46 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have those same fenders on my renegade elite. Good fenders if I say so myself. I have the black matte ones. Could you recommend mud flaps if you know of any. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by PadreRE
I ordered the wings of different for the renegade of the year 17 700x36c
SKS Bluemel Commuter
Old 02-25-18, 02:30 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2018 Expat size 61. I got to take a short test ride before buying it (felt good during the ride), but was slightly concerned about the reach. It's a stretch!! The guy helping me at the LBS of course reassured that things could be readjusted etc etc, and I plan on getting a full blown professional fitting beyond just the basics asap. He also said that when he sizes people who are between sizes, he recommends the smaller frame if the buyer plans on racing or the larger for general riding.

Once I got home, I took it on a 2.5 mile ride and it reiterated my concern as I felt I was reaching too much and my upper/lower back had some discomfort. I should point out that I am NOT use to a drop bar bike. This is my first one. I've only owned flat bar hybrids and mountain bikes. I'm sure this is something I will need to get use to.

This leads to a few questions...

Would changing the stock 110mm stem to a 90mm significantly improve my reach so I don't have the discomfort? I know comfort is subjective, but does 20mm make a significant difference?

Or would down sizing to a 58 (if the shop is willing) be my only option if swapping the stem doesn't work?

The reach between the 61 vs 58 is only about 1cm difference which leads me to believe the 61 could be adjusted better for me.

I'm 6'2.5" 190# and wear 34 inseam pants

I'm somewhat of a noob with this stuff so I apologize in advance if all of this sounds dumb. I would really appreciate others thoughts. Thanks!!!
Old 02-25-18, 03:32 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Some of the initial discomfort will be due to the new drop bar position.

20mm is a huge difference in reach once you've dialed in your ideal fit.
Old 02-25-18, 03:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Changing to the 90 stem will make a substantial difference. Also, be sure the stem is flipped up rather than down. If you downsize to a 58 you would lose almost 20mm of head tube which would adversely change your saddle to bar drop.
Old 02-25-18, 06:33 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both above for your replies! Sounds like i will be better off with the 61 frame and tweaking it with a 90mm stem 1st. Sorry this is such a noob question, but what does flipping the stem up do (with the 90mm)?
Old 02-25-18, 08:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Look at some pics of stems on bikes. You can see that turning the stem upside down will change the height of the bars. Sounds as if you will want them in the higher position.
Old 02-25-18, 08:52 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Look at some pics of stems on bikes. You can see that turning the stem upside down will change the height of the bars. Sounds as if you will want them in the higher position.
ahh ok i looked into it and understand. I'm hoping to go this weekend and get the professional bike fitting done. Im confident switching to a shorter stem will be one change. I just feel that if the handle bars were a bit closer, i wouldn't feel so stretched out on the hoods.
Old 02-26-18, 04:48 AM
Danny01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

this tool will give you a good idea of what a stem flip, shorter stem etc will do. a 6 degree stem pointed down is a -6 degree stem.
Old 02-26-18, 07:51 AM
Sakriv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking at replacing the 110 mm stem that came stock on my 58 cm Jamis Renegade Escapade with a 90 mm or less. The local bike shop owner who measured me predicted this exact change when I ordered the bike because I have longer legs (33.5" inseam as measured for bikes) and a shorter upper body than usual for my height of 5'11 and ¾". No regrets because, as shelbyfv said, the head tube would shrink if I sized down to a 56.
Old 02-26-18, 08:33 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I'm 5' 11" with long legs and a shorter reach and a size 58 bike would be way to big for me. Most 56cm frames fit me with a slightly shorter stem.
Old 02-26-18, 09:52 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
I'm in the same boat, looking at replacing the 110 mm stem that came stock on my 58 cm Jamis Renegade Escapade with a 90 mm or less. The local bike shop owner who measured me predicted this exact change when I ordered the bike because I have longer legs (33.5" inseam as measured for bikes) and a shorter upper body than usual for my height of 5'11 and ¾". No regrets because, as shelbyfv said, the head tube would shrink if I sized down to a 56.
Originally Posted by tdilf
I'm 5' 11" with long legs and a shorter reach and a size 58 bike would be way to big for me. Most 56cm frames fit me with a slightly shorter stem.
Agreed. I'm exactly the same height and there's no chance I'd be on a 58cm Renegade. In fact I could make my wife's 54cm Renegade work pretty well for me.
Old 02-26-18, 11:27 AM
Sakriv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"YMMV" is the takeaway I'm getting from your comments. My 58 cm Renegade Escapade feels perfect except I'd like those Ultegra R8020 hoods about 2 cm closer to to me horizontally, which the stem change will fix. I figured I'd share my height and inseam to give prospective buyers a clue on sizing, but I see that could be misleading because there are other measurements and factors at play like flexibility and intended use. No substitute for getting a fitting done with a close look at every geometry difference. I didn't notice how much the head tubes would change until the shop owner pointed it out during my fitting, and since I didn't want an aggressively aerodynamic posture, he suggested I get the 58 cm over the 56 and just replace the 110 mm stem with a 90 mm, which was spot on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.