Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Microshift Thumb Shifters or Is There a Better Option?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 05:59 AM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am upgrading my Salsa Casseroll and have received a lot of help with upgrade choices on this forum; so I thought I would run this idea past you folks. I am going to change the bke to flat bars probably Jones Bars or more likely the VO Crazy Bars. I think the Crazy Bar will be more like riding on my drop bar hoods. I am also going to upgrade the bike from 9 to 10 speed (road derailleurs).

To try and keep the traditional retro look of the Salsa I was thinking about thumb shifters like the handle bar mount Microshift Thumbies - they are available in 10 speed and will support a double or triple front crankset. The rear is indexed. I also considered using something like Shimano Dura-Ace bar end levers mounted on VO or Paul Thumbies mounts. However, that just seems to be a more expensive way of doing the same thing as the Microsoft Thumb Shifters - which I have seen for around $90 for the set. While I think the Shimano or some sort of vintage thumb shifters mounted on thumbies mounts may look a tab more retro I figure that option would be at least $50 more. Whatever way I go I need a 10 speed indexed shifter for the rear. (I have some brake levers ordered already)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Microshift 10 speed thumb shifters (red - road version)? And more importantly does anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations on bar end/thumbies that would be a better option than the Microshift thumb shifters?
Old 02-14-19, 06:14 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Some people have said that anything indexed that's over 8 speeds, feels like friction shifting anyway, because the gears are so close together. Regarding indexed 10 speed thumb shifters, I don't think there is any option than Microshift. Just cheapo $20 friction shifters, or something vintage. Or bar end shifters.
Old 02-14-19, 07:27 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Some people have said that anything indexed that's over 8 speeds, feels like friction shifting anyway, because the gears are so close together. Regarding indexed 10 speed thumb shifters, I don't think there is any option than Microshift. Just cheapo $20 friction shifters, or something vintage. Or bar end shifters.
Shimano makes them.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=774

Personally, I would get 9 speed triggers (9 speed road and MTN have the same cable pull ratios) or swap the 10 speed RD with a mountain RD that is compatible with MTN triggers.

I have also read that mounting the thumbies upside down is more comfortable, but you will also have to run them on opposite side (right-left). It is said that was common in the 80’s before triggers were common.
Old 02-14-19, 08:04 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
OP is talking about thumb shifters, I believe.
Old 02-14-19, 12:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
as OP says thumbie mounts .. and buying bar end shifter for the lever assembly .. is an option ..
Old 02-15-19, 03:28 PM
MarcoBianchi

Bikes: Peugeot Mont Blanc . Bianchi 28c 1980. Coppi Giro di Lombardia. Vitoria Vintage 1990. Orbea Luarca 1977. Trek 950.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Zero experience with thumbie mounts, but two years running 10s Microshift bar end shifters, they are a little tougher than my Ultegra 6480 and only indexed mode but I'm very satisfied considering that they are cheaper than Shimano equivalent.
Old 02-16-19, 05:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I haven't used the Microshift but I might end up using them on a similar set up VO Crazy Bars are awesome and if I hadn't just put new cables and housing and replaced tape and done a whole bunch of stuff to my touring bike you best believe I would be running VO Crazy Bars. I might consider them on my Privateer parts hybrid I built up but the cost would go above the limits I have set for that bike granted the bike is really nice and has some primo components thanks to my nack for scouring parts bins and working deals.
Old 02-16-19, 08:28 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
These old Suntour thumb shifters are the bomb. Better than anything they make now. And, they made so many of them you can still get them NOS ...........................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNTOUR-ALP...pa6:rk:45:pf:0