Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ugly bike basket cover...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 01:48 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

I bought a used bike basket at a thrift store. It was white. But I found that the white reflected back into my eyes while using my light. So I spray painted it black. Started chipping within the first week. Ended up selling that bike and got a new one. I ended up buying some paint that was red and almost matched the bike. Looked good, but once again it started chipping-took a few months instead though. Fast forward to now a few years later after turning my eye from the now hideous basket that was red, black and white.
I thought why not make a cover for it? I looked on line and all I could find was ones that go inside the basket, not around the outside. Now I had a pair of leggings in red with black bike motif all over them at a thrift shop (do we see a pattern?) But alas one size fits all really meant only if you were a size 001-no way would it stretch over my fat rear or thunder thighs. Somehow they got into the same vicinity, thinking how cute would that be for a cover, but there just wasn't enough fabric...or wast there...? and a light bulb went on. So I started stretching it from the bottom and with MUCH grunting, pulling (reminding me of putting jeans on the 70's before stretchy jeans) I got it to stretch up and over the top. Now I had 2 legs hanging down.... bit they fit right thru the bottom so pulled them up and wove thru the bottom making the bottom soft and solider.... And it looked good. Now I did have to straighten out the seams but I really think I found a cute way to cover my really ugly basket. And I imagine old used up leggings that fit will be so much easier to pull over it when these are done.

ugly basket cover from leggings.
Old 03-25-19, 08:52 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
That'll catch the wind. I just bought an oval wicker waste basket, looked great, was excellent until the wind caught it.
Best thing is to just buy a black wire basket. You can get non-bike ones cheap, and bolt them to a front-mounted pannier rack if you have a spare rack kicking about..
Old 03-25-19, 09:20 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Yeah, the great thing about wire baskets is that they're almost invisible to the wind when they're empty. But you've turned yours into a sail, or maybe more accurately, an air brake.

I have wire baskets on the back of one of my bikes, and I keep a cloth shopping bag tightly rolled up in the bottom for when I need it.
Old 03-26-19, 02:25 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
I
ugly basket cover from leggings.
More unique than ugly. Definitely creative. Would have been impractical to leave the legs hanging down, but would have been interesting.
Old 03-26-19, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Clever!
One rider's "sail" is another rider's "fairing".
Old 03-26-19, 07:51 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
That’s a creative idea. One of the problems with wire baskets is that small items can fall right through. Your idea not only fixed the ugly but made the basket more functional too. Bravo!

-Kedosto
Old 03-26-19, 07:55 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
How about seasonal/holiday motifs. Could be a money maker for ya.
Old 03-26-19, 12:28 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
How about seasonal/holiday motifs. Could be a money maker for ya.
Oooo that is a good idea! Hoping it doesn't catch more wind than the fake wicker basket on the back for the dog. He is only 15 lbs Though he prefers running along side., and keeps it at only 15 lbs that way. 5 miles seems to be his max. Its his favorite thing to do. Nermal it was the basket before the leggings do over. LOL
To be honest I would love to get a wicker basket to match the back one, but not exactly like that one... We have our yearly parade as a group coming up and I wanted it to look as pretty a it can.
Old 03-26-19, 05:40 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Clever!
One rider's "sail" is another rider's "fairing".
That's true. I often have to remind people that I'm a pilot, and I like to practice my "crosswind landings". Fairings can actually cut through a headwind, and they reduce wind chill in colder climes . Fairings are only prohibited by the UCI because they are "cheating".
the OP's idea is similar to the Lycra body-socks which stretch between front and rear fairings on some recumbent bike designs.
Old 03-26-19, 06:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
That'll catch the wind. I just bought an oval wicker waste basket, looked great, was excellent until the wind caught it.
Best thing is to just buy a black wire basket. You can get non-bike ones cheap, and bolt them to a front-mounted pannier rack if you have a spare rack kicking about..

I don't think aerodynamics is the op's main concern. With those handlebars, she'll catch so much wind herself, a little more probably won't be noticed. Not to mention the dog on the back she mentioned.

Looks like a fun slow ride. Hope she keeps us posted on how it works out.
Old 03-28-19, 06:12 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My basket was on an upright shopper bike, really caught the wind. I'm super skinny tho lol