Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike tire rubbing against frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 11:09 PM
Barms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I just got myself a good old used bicycle but after a couple of days of riding, I've somehow managed to run into this fairly large issue. When I get on the bike, after riding a couple of feet the tire starts to rub on the frame causing to become unrideable. When I get off I notice it's because the side of the wheel attachment with the nut on it (close to the gears) has slipped slightly forward thus causing the wheel to skew. This problem seems to repeat itself no matter how hard I tighten both screws down. I've attached some pictures of the problem and appreciate any and all help. I'm sorry if it's a simple fix!

EDIT: I don't have 10 posts so I can't post pictures, apologies.
Old 05-14-19, 06:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Barms
the side of the wheel attachment with the nut on it (close to the gears) EDIT: I don't have 10 posts so I can't post pictures, apologies.
It's not clear but it sounds as if your wheel has a quick release. Some work better than others, the Shimano internal cam type is the benchmark. If you have a bolt-on wheel, try adding a toothed washer. Assuming your wheel is correct width for the dropouts....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-19, 06:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Your bike may have a bent dropout, the place on the frame with the slot that the axle slides in. That's important to hold the wheel straight. Bike shops have tools for that, but an amateur garage mechanic with a large crescent wrench and some careful measuring and a good eye can usually straighten them out.
Old 05-14-19, 08:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
There are a few reasons why a centered rear wheel will rub the frame when under power. A loose securement in the drop outs like a stripped or not tight axle nut or a QR that isn't fully clamping the drop out are examples of this. With a QR skewer the axle can't stick out past the drop out's outward surface (the axle must remain within the drop out's thickness) or the QR won't tighten properly. Another reason might be a broken axle., the two parts of the axle tend to remain in line WRT each other when there's no power applied tom the wheel/pedals. But when the chain pulls the cogs the wheel twists out of line. I've seen bikes that have been used for MANY miles with broken axles and the riders never noticed. Other things might also be going on but these two are the biggies. Andy
Old 05-14-19, 10:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...it most probably is a simple fix. Try posting five posts daily in your thread until you get past ten and can post a picture, or post your picture on some online spot where you can give an internet address to link to it. Sadly, because of spammers and other abuse, this forum is not user friendly for an inquiry like this from a new member.

What Andrew said above covers most of the scenarios, but a photo of the right side and the dropout would help a lot.

Sometimes on an older bike, wheels get replaced with something inappropriate ...like a quick release wheel in thin stamped dropouts. Sometimes parts go missing, like the toothed washer under the axle nut that grabs a stamped dropout and distributes the force of the nut. Sometimes axle threads strip out, sometimes the nut strips so it won't hold firmly. Sometimes there just something that interferes with the nut of QR that prevents full compression and contact.

All have relatively easy repair solutions.