Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Cadence meter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 04:35 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Yes. I would.

I've seen cell phones hop out of people's jersey pockets in warmup and races on the track.

One should properly secure the head unit to the bike. .
+1 on this.
i've even seen a garmin head unit pop out of that garmin quarter-turn mount in training.
Old 10-11-16, 06:28 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
I think it depends on who you get, and how officious they are. The comm that asked me to take mine off was at world masters in 2013.
The same guy also insisted that the tip of my saddle be in line with the *outside* of the crankbolt, and not through the middle (i have a morphological exemption against the 5cm rule), insisting i move my saddle back.

I left the measurement jig, and came back when there was a different guy there who passed my bike without a blink. Nothing had been moved.
Agreed. On our first day this year we had our bikes checked once the start order had been posted, then went back to our pen and finished warming up. Second day they said that our bikes had to be left at the start once they had been checked so we then had them done just before we went on track.
Old 10-11-16, 11:22 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
Agreed. On our first day this year we had our bikes checked once the start order had been posted, then went back to our pen and finished warming up. Second day they said that our bikes had to be left at the start once they had been checked so we then had them done just before we went on track.
For those unaware, the reason that you have to leave the bikes in "quarantine" is to keep someone from having a bike inspected, pass, then go to their pit and install some offending equipment or moving their saddle forward or something that would cause a failure if inspected again.

Seems like a silly rule...until you wonder why it's in place. It's probably in place because someone did just what I described above in the past

When the incentive is high enough and punishment is low enough, someone will cheat.
Old 10-11-16, 01:43 PM
Poppit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For those unaware, the reason that you have to leave the bikes in "quarantine" is to keep someone from having a bike inspected, pass, then go to their pit and install some offending equipment or moving their saddle forward or something that would cause a failure if inspected again.

Seems like a silly rule...until you wonder why it's in place. It's probably in place because someone did just what I described above in the past

When the incentive is high enough and punishment is low enough, someone will cheat.
Yep, I was surprised with what they did on the first day but you just do what your told to, didn't bother us either way
Old 10-11-16, 02:52 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
Yep, I was surprised with what they did on the first day but you just do what your told to, didn't bother us either way
Would be a huge disadvantage for international competitors if they only flew with one bike!
Old 10-11-16, 03:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Would be a huge disadvantage for international competitors if they only flew with one bike!
In order to deal with this, I've seen people do their final warmup and then take their bike over (or have their buddy do it) right before the event as they rest.

It's not a perfect solution, but it works.

What's best is to do a "courtesy check" long before your event to be sure. That buys your hours/days to remedy anything that's wrong (saddle position, aerobar extensions too long, etc...). Then do as I mention above for your actual event.
Old 10-12-16, 01:42 AM
Poppit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In order to deal with this, I've seen people do their final warmup and then take their bike over (or have their buddy do it) right before the event as they rest.

It's not a perfect solution, but it works.

What's best is to do a "courtesy check" long before your event to be sure. That buys your hours/days to remedy anything that's wrong (saddle position, aerobar extensions too long, etc...). Then do as I mention above for your actual event.
Exactly what we did and it worked fine. We did see one guy sawing the front of his saddle off a few minutes before his start though.