Old 07-07-19, 03:37 PM
GeoffroyFromLux

Bikes: Motobecane CT2 1984

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 9 Posts
Not a big country like our neighbours but in Luxembourg
you could take any CFL train all around the country with your bike without any charge
Old 08-09-19, 07:55 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
In Germany, folding bike that is folded is usually allowed almost everywhere for free, as it's considered luggage.

This also applies to ICE express, as long as it's small enough to fit in the luggage racks. Although the conductors prefer if they're bagged, but I took them on unbagged against their frowns. If the bike is still very large after folding it, don't bring it on the ICE, unless it specially has space for ticketed bicycles (not free). ICE express typically only has a small vertical luggage rack with 3 tiers of racks, located at the center of each car. The bottom rack (on the floor) is the only place you'll find space for a folded bike, so you'll have to get to the platform early before the other passengers arrive, so that you can claim that bottom rack space. It can fit a Dahon 20" folded bike, as long as you have a very short rear rack that only rises at most a few centimeters above the wheel. If it's too tall, it may not fit in the space. You might also have to remove the seatpost and deflate the tires. You might also have to remove one of the tires and insert the bike diagonally into the space. Tern bikes have a taller headset / stem, but I don't have experience with a Tern bike, so I don't know if they will fit. If there is no more luggage space, you might have to stand with the bike near the doors. Don't attempt to store it on the overhead racks, above the seats.

Some of the newer ICE express trains have smaller storage racks. ICE Sprinter, which don't make any stops in between, seem to have even smaller racks.

IC, Intercity, which look similar ICE trains, but make many more stops along the way, usually have dedicated spaces for ticketed bicycles (not free for unfolded bikes). Look for the bicycle icon on the train doors, or the info screen on the platform. But, if you fold the bike and put it in the space for bicycles (together with the other ticketed bikes), it will be free (because you folded it). The IC passenger cars have larger vertical luggage racks than ICE cars, by a few centimeters in each direction, and are located at one end of the car (instead of the center of the car on ICE). It will easily fit a folded 20" bike, as long as there are no large vertical protrusions on your bike.

Slower Regional trains, RE, RB, etc, usually have similar dedicated spaces for ticketed bicycles which you can store your folded bike for free. There usually is no vertical luggage rack on regional trains, so it's better to place the folded bike in the dedicated bicycle area.

City U- and S- trains and trams usually allow bicycles for free, whether folded or unfolded, but you'll have to check each city's rules, which will vary. Some cities do not allow bicycles during rush hour, like 6-9am and 4-6pm on weekdays. But some cities will allow folded bicycles at any time. However, rush hour trains will be extremely crowded with people, so you won't find standing space for your bike, even if folded. The U- and S- don't have dedicated bicycle spaces. You simply stand with the bike at the doors to keep it from falling over. Usually, very ends or middle of the train will have a larger space for wheelchairs, which is easier to fit a bike.

City buses, I'm not sure. I don't have a non-folding bike, so I don't know if you can bring one, but I successfully carried on my folded bike.

Private rail. Don't know.

Private long distance buses sometimes have exterior bike racks on the rear of the bus that must be paid for. I don't know if they'll take a folding bike for free in the belly storage space.
Old 12-07-19, 11:51 AM
Rob Fullnorth
Rob Fullnorth

Bikes: Canyon Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
France, Germany, Netherlands, Hungary. All those countries we bike friendly. Only in Ukraine I had issues. The bike should be dismantled before you can take it to the train
Old 12-30-19, 09:39 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
The bottom (ground) shelf of the central luggage rack on older running Germany ICE cars are 48cm wide, 62.5cm high, 74cm depth. The middle shelf is 51.5cm high. Newer cars may have narrower and shorter central luggage racks.

For 20 inch folded Dahon bikes, you will need to deflate the tires for the fork stem to fit under the 62.5cm high bottom shelf, or if you don't have a rear rack, then it may be possible to lean the bike at an angle without having to deflate the tires. If you do have a bike rack, it needs to be of similar height to the stem, for example the adjustable Tern Cargo Rack. Taller racks will not fit under unless you remove one wheel. Handlebars need to be turned vertically if you have bar end grips. Seat tube needs to be removed because it's too tall.

Tern bikes have taller fork stems so I don't know if they will fit.

IC trains have taller racks at the car ends, so no modifications are needed to folded Dahon bikes in those trains.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 12-31-19 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 05:02 AM
near and far

Bikes: Basso VIPER

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this is still relevant, but another way to transport bikes all over Germany (and Europe) for a reasonable price is by Bus.
There is a company called FlixBus that offers this service for up to 5 bikes per Bus, as far as I know.
Old 07-18-20, 05:36 PM
dsanchez

Bikes: Kross V6 Hexagon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by www.haaqi.com
What does anyone know about bicycle on trains in Europe?
I can speak about Austria, Slovakia, Hungary and Czech Republic, as I have brought bikes in trains there several times: In Austria bicycle is already included in the ticket price (you can of course double check this) while in the other three countries you must pay a bike ticket separately, it usually cost 5 EUR and you are allocated the place in the wagon where you can hang your bike in.
Old 07-30-20, 08:20 AM
minispdrcr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In Poland on certain trains its considered luggage and they have special hooks that you can use for the bicycles. For farther travel it is I believe around 10PLN, so around 3 euro.
Old 10-16-20, 10:38 AM
Michael B.

Bikes: BF NWT, R+M birdy , Surly Ogre, Dahon Flo + Cadenza, Idwor R+R, Krabo S&S, Scorpion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by near and far
I don't know if this is still relevant, but another way to transport bikes all over Germany (and Europe) for a reasonable price is by Bus.
There is a company called FlixBus that offers this service for up to 5 bikes per Bus, as far as I know.
sometimes only two, depend of mounted bike rack.
Old 03-05-21, 04:35 AM
Miliolid

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the Netherlands a day ticket costs roughly 6-7 Euro. But you can't take the bike on trains during rushhour. Generally all Dutch trains are fine though. There are probably different rules for German and Belgian intercities though.
Old 03-27-21, 04:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Belgium implemented a 4€ charge per bicycle per ride from 1 January this year, but generally fine on just about any train in the country.
Old 04-16-21, 02:15 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
I didn't see any input for Finland so decided to give some myself, even though at the current conditions travel is very limited for most people.

Bikes are generally approved in metropolitan / near traffic trains (HSL or VR) if they are not chock full off people without extra charge. I've noticed that at least in the extended capital region Helsinki-Espoo-Vantaa-Kauniainen-Kirkkonummi the trains that stop at every station have more designated room for bicycles, for example the I / P airport train.

VR intercity and long distance trains typically have a bike rack where you can lock your bike with a 0.50 € coin, but you have to also pay 5 € extra for a ticket for your bike.

Unfortunately, short distance / city buses don't generally accept bicycles onboard. Long distance buses do, if you can and want to fit your bike in the luggage space underneath the passager level.
Old 04-17-21, 08:49 AM
Octavianandrei

Bikes: Orbea Orca

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Romania, very few trains accept bicycle. If you want to get from South to North or West to East no chance by train We are not encouraged at all.
Old 05-06-21, 09:33 AM
sunday

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Completely true.
In theory you may declare the bike as luggage (remove one wheel, if you want) and pay for it, but it happened to me to be refused embarking because "this train does not accept bicycles".
Likes For sunday:
Old 06-22-21, 04:17 PM
ususum

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tstanev84
Its 1 (one) euro fee in Bulgaria, but still trains are pretty old and its hard to get in and out if have bigger racks
Best kind of train is the old cheap train that is moderately filled with passengers.