Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Old 07-27-18, 08:35 PM
Sdjclevland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another little update. On the way home I made another route and that worked fine. I'm guessing it's the way I Picked the way points that the issue is. In terms of the app it's kind of just annoying. Itn some aspects it's just not easy to use at all. Like to get my workout to show on the app took some figgurijg out. This should be something that is automatic.
Old 07-28-18, 03:06 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
Another little update. On the way home I made another route and that worked fine. I'm guessing it's the way I Picked the way points that the issue is. In terms of the app it's kind of just annoying. Itn some aspects it's just not easy to use at all. Like to get my workout to show on the app took some figgurijg out. This should be something that is automatic.
Did you ever get the HRM to pair?
Old 07-28-18, 08:23 PM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No that is still not working. Customer service from lezyne is suppose to call me back.
Old 07-29-18, 05:02 AM
mmeiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Bryton 530. I got it because of the price (MSRP $180) and above all the battery life of 34 hours. I also have a Garmin Fennix i horse traded for used. I have been watching the Lezyne mature hoping they would get to this state and am excited. I love their other products. Looking forward to trying this IF it does do turn by turn decently. I have used many GPS extensively in the field including a Garmin Dakota for doing 1500 miles of the great divide. It ate a set of lithium AA batteries every day and a half of riding. Am not a fan of garmin because of the short battery life and their tendency to crash. The brytons are by no means perfect. For one they only do a line follow of the route with no street names or base maps. I hear a newer color version with possible base maps is shipping here in the US soon though. Having traveled/toured extensively with people using various navigation devices they all have their pros and cons. Even the brytons lock up for example, but they very quickly can be restarted and can get back on route. This has only happened to me twice. Garmin lockups seem to happen much more frequently on the 520 and 800 series i have experience with and often you cannot get the route back up. That said garmin are still the best for complex navigation jobs with street names, base maps and audible turn warnings, but to often they have left me stranded and having to pull out my smart phone. Ultimately for my touring purpuses I need complete reliability and long battery life. If that mans trayscale screens and simple line trace routes I can deal with it, but it does occasionally mean pulling out the old samsung S5 with Gaia GPS software on it. My garmin Fennix is the same way. No base maps as it is last gen, but great battery life and basic navigation.

P.S. love the signature: "Randonneuring -- it's touring for people that aren't smart enough to stop for the night. It's a wonderful sport when you can make up for a lack of ability with a lack of sleep."

I have settle down more now that I get to tour with others. Less riding around the clock, but getting to tour with my SO is amazing. She is not quite as adventurous as me, but not everyone likes to ride all night and gets excited about riding in blizzards.
Old 07-30-18, 10:40 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Another little update. On the way home I made another route and that worked fine. I'm guessing it's the way I Picked the way points that the issue is.
Probably was the case. Ride with GPS is the same when creating routes. You have to make sure to pick a way point around the corner on your next turn for the turn by turn to navigate correctly.

Like to get my workout to show on the app took some figgurijg out. This should be something that is automatic.
Pick the menu button in the upper left corner than pick "Rides". ??? Seems rather simple. Not sure what you mean by "automatic"
Old 07-31-18, 02:15 AM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well when I was done it was not automatically syncing the workouts. I had to click on a button to get it to show up in the app.
Old 07-31-18, 07:11 AM
prj71

Well when I was done it was not automatically syncing the workouts. I had to click on a button to get it to show up in the app.
Makes sense since you have to connect via bluetooth for it to do that.
Old 08-01-18, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I was interested until someone posted that turn by turn requires use of a phone. That would explain the battery life. Mostly.
You use the phone app to load the route into the computer...Then you can close the app, turn off the phone, even leave the phone at home. So, no, it is not relying on your phone for actual navigation during the ride.
Old 08-01-18, 07:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
got it. My only reservation now is that it appears you have to use their website to load a route. I usually just hook my garmin up to my computer as a disk and upload a tcx file. Then if I want to upload an activity to a website, I hook it up to the computer after the ride, d/l, and then upload.

Granted, using their website on the road would be easier than what I do now, which involves finding a computer that doesn't want to format my garmin and doesn't reject it because of virus protection. That's not always easy.

Maybe I'm wrong about this too, hope so.
Old 08-01-18, 07:29 AM
prj71

My only reservation now is that it appears you have to use their website to load a route.
It's not that big of a deal. I make my routes in Ride with GPS only because the Lezyne GPS Root website isn't as nicely polished. Then I export it out of RWGPS as a TCX file then import the TCX file to the Lezyne website. After that it's now available on the phone app to send to the GPS unit. And as Koyote pointed out...You don't need the phone after that for turn by turn to work.
Old 08-01-18, 08:20 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
The new Garmin Edge Explore has gotten good reviews including a complete review from dc rainmaker and it's specifically marketed for touring cyclists and others who want turn by turn navigation. Other than power and Strava live segments, it does everything else and includes maps. All for retail of $250

Knowing all this, why bother with Lezyne?

https://www.rei.com/product/145207/g...hoCaX8QAvD_BwE
Old 08-01-18, 08:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

other than an extra web experience to deal with, I don't like the fact that they could just decide to shut you down at any time. Garmin decided my device was EOL and that they weren't going to fix some glaring errors, just wash their hands of the device. But I can still use it. I have been avoiding any device that requires a web interface, it just doesn't make sense to me. My daughter bought a fitness watch where the company got bought out and the new owners just pulled the plug on the website. Poof! No longer works, buy one of our other fine products!

Originally Posted by tunavic
The new Garmin Edge Explore has gotten good reviews including a complete review from dc rainmaker and it's specifically marketed for touring cyclists and others who want turn by turn navigation. Other than power and Strava live segments, it does everything else and includes maps. All for retail of $250

Other than I have vowed never to buy another Garmin, that does look good. I'm a bit wishy-washy on that vow. Need to know more though. Somebody buy one and test it for me by riding 24 hours. The Garmin Touring was a disaster for too many people I know, so I'm going to wait. The touring looked perfect for me, but a lot of people just couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-01-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 08:43 AM
tunavic

other than an extra web experience to deal with, I don't like the fact that they could just decide to shut you down at any time. Garmin decided my device was EOL and that they weren't going to fix some glaring errors, just wash their hands of the device. But I can still use it. I have been avoiding any device that requires a web interface, it just doesn't make sense to me. My daughter bought a fitness watch where the company got bought out and the new owners just pulled the plug on the website. Poof! No longer works, buy one of our other fine products!

Other than I have vowed never to buy another Garmin, that does look good. I'm a bit wishy-washy on that vow. Need to know more though. Somebody buy one and test it for me by riding 24 hours. The Garmin Touring was a disaster for too many people I know, so I'm going to wait. The touring looked perfect for me, but a lot of people just couldn't get it to work.
Rated battery life is 12 hours for the Garmin Edge Explore.

Here's a brief history of my experience with Garmin:

I had a Garmin 810 for many years and it was trouble free till last year. At startup on cold days, it would go into a developer or diagnostic screen. A call to Garmin customer service was answered promptly and after many tries to correct the problem, it was decided that best solution would be to replace the unit. For a $50 fee, they exchanged my unit for a factory refurbished unit as well as a new charging cable. I would never have known the replacement unit was anything other than new if I hadn't been told so. It's worked flawlessly since I got it.

I recently completed a double century. I knew the battery wouldn't last so I used one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X9EWVXLJ&psc=1
Old 08-01-18, 09:05 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

It's a valid concern but I think Garmin, or even Lezyne, is probably going to be a little more stable and long-term than Pebble was.
Old 08-01-18, 09:36 AM
tunavic

If Strava Live segments is important to you, be aware that Lezyne, Wahoo and other small players in the cycling GPS market may not be able to deliver on their promises to have that feature on their products. This excerpt is from a recent dc rainmaker review of the Stages Dash

But then there’s the bigger problem: Lack of Strava Live Segments

See, the original Stages Dash didn’t have Strava Live Segments either – but the company wanted to roll it out with these new products. Up until this point in time, that was largely a company-specific (Stages) thing, not a Strava limiter. As long as they had Strava’s blessing to roll out, it was merely a technical implementation item. Garmin, Polar, Lezyne, Wahoo, Mio, Sigma, and probably some others I’m missing all have done so on a variety of their devices.

But when Stages went to get said blessing they were essentially told to pay a per-device fee. Without getting too far into the specifics, that per-device fee is massive – almost as much as retailers would make. Of course, for any company, that’s a non-starter. Stages was apparently the first company to be caught in this new Strava policy of making money on the device side of Strava Live Segments (as a reminder it already is limited to only paying Strava Premium users).

Now both Stages and Strava say they’re still working this out – and thus, for the time being, I’ll sit a bit longer on the sidelines while they do so.

But let me be clear upfront: I’m not a fan, and let me explain why.

This is effectively a Garmin device promotion fee. There’s really no other way to frame it. See, Strava can go to smaller players like Stages, Sigma, Lezyne, and Polar (and probably even Wahoo) and force them to pay this fee (or not have the feature). Whereas if they go to Garmin and say the same, Garmin will tell them to ‘take a flying leap’ (actually, they’ll use other four-letter words).

Strava will have no choice of course, because Garmin commands about 95-98% of the cycling GPS market. But more importantly – it drives people to actually subscribe to Strava Premium. Without Garmin, Strava’s back to losing boatloads of cash (which investors don’t like). It’s the much tighter partnership between Strava and Garmin over the last 3 years that’s increased Strava’s previously non-existent revenues. Strava knows this, Garmin knows this…and everyone else knows this.

Plus this:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/08/...ing-model.html
Old 08-01-18, 10:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

good thing that doesn't matter to me, but I'll add it to my list of reasons why Strava is a force for evil in this world
Old 08-01-18, 12:47 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
good thing that doesn't matter to me, but I'll add it to my list of reasons why Strava is a force for evil in this world
+1.....What I don't understand is if Strava already has a premium "pay for" app, why would they screw themselves by trying to milk the bike computer companies? I mean if you own a Garmin, Wahoo or Lezyne nav. computer and you want it to work with Strava, I would assume that the owner of whatever bike computer would still have to pay Strava if they wanted the premium features of the Strava app. That said, "Why screw with the people who actually own the Strava app and just want to use it with their bike computer"? I can understand general greed but I don't understand "stupid greed". What's next, is Strava going to try to milk iphone and Android for the right to use their app? Just glad I don't mess with stuff like Strava.
Old 08-01-18, 02:26 PM
tunavic

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
+1.....What I don't understand is if Strava already has a premium "pay for" app, why would they screw themselves by trying to milk the bike computer companies? I mean if you own a Garmin, Wahoo or Lezyne nav. computer and you want it to work with Strava, I would assume that the owner of whatever bike computer would still have to pay Strava if they wanted the premium features of the Strava app. That said, "Why screw with the people who actually own the Strava app and just want to use it with their bike computer"? I can understand general greed but I don't understand "stupid greed". What's next, is Strava going to try to milk iphone and Android for the right to use their app? Just glad I don't mess with stuff like Strava.
Basic Strava is free and so is Garmin Connect. Garmin provides LiveTrack and Garmin segments for anyone using their platform.

Why should others be allowed to leverage what Strava built from the ground up for free? Strava developed segments and is now asking for a fee if others want the feauture on their GPS units. Additionally, Strava is still in the RED .How are they supposed to earn $ if everything is free?

They're rolling out different less expensive plans for users or still a basic free plan and their app has no advertising.

How would you propose they earn money?
Old 08-01-18, 07:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's only free if you consider a premium strava account free. I only have a strava account because that's the only way I can upload a ride in to trainerroad. I don't really need to pay to have a website tell me I'm the 279th fastest person that did a particular ride.
Old 08-01-18, 09:04 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
It's only free if you consider a premium strava account free. I only have a strava account because that's the only way I can upload a ride in to trainerroad. I don't really need to pay to have a website tell me I'm the 279th fastest person that did a particular ride.
What are you talking about? What do you need a Strava premium account?
Old 08-01-18, 10:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by biketampa

What are you talking about? What do you need a Strava premium account?
you need a premium account for Strava live segments.
Old 08-01-18, 11:03 PM
tunavic

you need a premium account for Strava live segments.
Do Strava Live segments matter to you or not? You've said contradictory things here.

And if you "need" Strava Live segments to use in trainerroad, pay them for a service they're providing until someone else can either provide it cheaper or free. I don't see evil in wanting to turn a profit (which they have never done).
Old 08-02-18, 02:36 AM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
If Strava Live segments is important to you, be aware that Lezyne, Wahoo and other small players in the cycling GPS market may not be able to deliver on their promises to have that feature on their products. This excerpt is from a recent dc rainmaker review of the Stages Dash

But then there’s the bigger problem: Lack of Strava Live Segments

<snipped contend>

This is effectively a Garmin device promotion fee. There’s really no other way to frame it. See, Strava can go to smaller players like Stages, Sigma, Lezyne, and Polar (and probably even Wahoo) and force them to pay this fee (or not have the feature). Whereas if they go to Garmin and say the same, Garmin will tell them to ‘take a flying leap’ (actually, they’ll use other four-letter words).

Strava will have no choice of course, because Garmin commands about 95-98% of the cycling GPS market. But more importantly – it drives people to actually subscribe to Strava Premium. Without Garmin, Strava’s back to losing boatloads of cash (which investors don’t like). It’s the much tighter partnership between Strava and Garmin over the last 3 years that’s increased Strava’s previously non-existent revenues. Strava knows this, Garmin knows this…and everyone else knows this.

Plus this:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/08/...ing-model.html
DCRainmaker announced that Lezyne will be pulling Live Segments from the Mega XL and C with the latest firmware upgrade.....talk about a bummer.

That puts paid my idea of getting the new Lezyne Mega series. I had high hopes for these new offerings as something less expensive than Garmin, but more sophisticated than the CatEye units I've been using since the late 1980s. My current CatEye Strada Smart will give power, speed/distance and cadence data -- it just lacks GPS navigation. Currently if I run into navigation issues while out on a ride, I stop and use my phone to find my location and plan my route....no turn by turn directions to be sure, but the head unit is USD 200+ less than a stripped down Garmin.

Bye Bye Strava Premium.....since the company refuses to address a years-long list of feature requests, and now effectively kills of GPS unit competition, why support them?
Old 08-02-18, 05:37 AM
prj71

$50 more than the most expensive Lezyne (Mega C and Mega XL) and ~1/3 the battery life of the Mega C and 1/4 the battery life of the Mega XL. $100 more than the Super GPS and 1/2 the battery life.
Old 08-02-18, 05:44 AM
prj71

I'm not sure why anyone would really want Strava Live Segments. I don't need an alert when I'm approaching a segment or to look down at a computer while I'm riding to look at my progress on a particular segment. Just ride it and check how you did after the ride is completed.

Last edited by prj71; 08-02-18 at 05:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.