Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Europe
Reload this Page >

Petition for a fair recognition of ebike and pedelecs

Notices
Europe Europe

Old 07-23-18, 03:22 AM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear bikeforumsers,

I would like to share with you a link to a petition for a fair regulation of the pedelecs.
Although ebikes can be used irresponsibly and news of accidents and fatal high-speed collisions are starting to come out (at least here in Switzerland), this is not a good reason for the ongoing political discussions aiming at imposing heavy financial and legislative burdens on the pedelecs use and ownership, considering a pedal-assisted bicycle equivalent to a motorbike.

Is this fair?

Some information about the petition and the reason it was started can be found here:
https://extraenergy.org/main.php?lang...ateg=&id=92970

If you think a bike with a motor (with power <500watts and support until a speed of 25 km/h is reached*) is still a bike and not a motor vehicle, please sign the petition here:
https://www.openpetition.de/petition...equal-to-bikes
If not, feel free to start a discussion there (or here).

Best

Last edited by EarlGrey; 07-25-18 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Link was not correct
Old 07-23-18, 03:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
What countries are you targeting for signing the petition?

E-Bikes are a complex development. I think it is inevitable that they will get licensed like mopeds.

Here in the USA, I think they are regulated to about 20 MPH, or about 32 KPH.

I could imagine the maximum regulated speed getting raised to about 25 MPH, or 40 KPH.

Riding at > 25 MPH is pretty crazy, and should be regulated.
Old 07-23-18, 07:49 AM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, the target countries are the european block (I am following that, although I am located in Switzerland).

I agree that going more than 25 MPH is crazy. I think even having assisted pedalling at speed above 12 MPH is too much.

I am not sure about their licensing like mopeds, although even the United Nations clearly defines every motor-assisted thing as a vehicle.
One of the many exceptions, the Japanese government decided since long time to ignore this calssificiation and bicycles with a motor, with some limitation in speed/power, are still bycicles.

I personally experienced the sidewalks of Tokyo (Japan) where walkers and e-bike regulary mix and I can claim that I think it works (slow dense flux, no need to enforce speed moderation, people density alone works surprisingly good).
Old 07-24-18, 10:23 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
The petition is very vague and does not explain what the petition is for, unless you follow the links.
The only change in the EU being discussed is whether E-bikes should have third party insurance.
I don't believe the regulated bikes (<25km/h) should require insurance, as these bikers do not risk any more than group riders on the road or MTB on hiking trails.
However, while on the road, they must follow all the traffic code!
Old 07-25-18, 03:53 AM
EarlGrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right, my bad, the starting link should be a different one, now I updated the text of the opening message.
No doubts about following the traffic rules: again, this mean that ebike/pedelecs are 100% like human powered bikes.
Thanks!