Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Is this light too good to be true?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Is this light too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 05:01 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have that, or a similar one.

After the first time it drained the battery, I soldered a robust toggle switch inline.
Bite the bullet and buy a larger battery pack on Amazon. It's worth it
It's nowhere near 1200 lumens, more like 8-900, except that it's likely brighter when you first turn it on. Until it heats up.
For the narrow beam, something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WLCLQY/ wide angle lens helps a bit.
Yeah, not sure how I want to proceed. Ultimately, I want a dynamo system. In the meantime, I get by with this light.

Do you have a link to your larger battery pack?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-18, 05:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Yeah, not sure how I want to proceed. Ultimately, I want a dynamo system. In the meantime, I get by with this light.

Thanks.
Some folks might be tired of hearing me say it, but I love my dynamo lights better than any battery light. I have them on the bike I ride the most. I also put them on both of my wife's bikes since she can't remember to charge batteries. She doesn't normally ride at night, but it's good for her to be prepared in case she finds herself out at night. Charging a tail light is no big deal, but a headlight is different, because it draws so much more power. I've often thought my headlight was properly charged when it quit mid-ride. It's a huge relief to know with fully certainty that my lights work every time I get on and roll the bike. I leave the switches in the "on" position. In the long run, it does not cost more than a battery powered light.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-23-18, 07:02 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion

Thanks.
It was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDY3WSS but "currently unavailable"
but this is similar https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-.../dp/B01MSP9XE6 It's going to be cheap off-brand (maybe crappy) batteries but still, bigger than the one that comes with. You just have to be sure that the connectors match your light, not both male or both female, and that the light wants 8.4 volts. There are some strange ones, that look exactly the same, that use 5 volts.

PS, dynamo lights would be great if you don't mind the up-front cost, and it's kind of like making a commitment. Someone like me, I only run the lights when it's dark and this cheap stuff works great and lasts (when it doesn't die right away) so I'm 100% happy with the battery lights and cheap headlights like you have. I have a second one that I take off my road bike until winter and I use the original battery pack on that.

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-23-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 11:00 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
REI has last year's NiteRiders on sale for $50-65. I just picked up the 1100 from the sale bin. Only used it once (this smoke has me staying indoors) but I am impressed. No magic, but it strikes me like a solid light. The 450 lumen mid-setting had plenty of light for most riding. (The 225 setting is brighter than what I was riding the past 8 years 90% of the time,) The 900 is too bright for any kind of courtesy to others.

Ben
NR makes great lights. They're not prefect and expensive but built like a tank. The prefect light for off-roading types.

Old 08-23-18, 11:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For those Chinese CREE lights, look up "Waterproof 8.4V battery pack" on E-Bay (or probably Amazon).

You'll find either hard plastic refillable battery cases, or hard plastic cases with batteries (that are sealed, and not openable).
Old 08-24-18, 07:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Some folks might be tired of hearing me say it, but I love my dynamo lights better than any battery light. ...........
........... In the long run, it does not cost more than a battery powered light.
I would love a dynamo light on my main ride for all the other reasons you mention, but I don’t see how math can possibly support this claim.
Old 08-24-18, 07:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Many of the Shimano hubs are hitting the market, at least on E-Bay, pretty cheap.

A hub like SON is a bit more expensive, But, you could probably get a cheap dynamo setup for $100 or so, with no batteries to replace, and hopefully fewer worn out parts to deal with than a battery system.

Hopefully I'll get my dynamo running this fall... then just hoping the thieves will ignore it.

Of course, one limitation of the dynamo is that is will be mostly mated to a single bike, so if you tend to ride a half dozen bikes, it could be a bit of a hassle.
Old 08-24-18, 11:11 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For those Chinese CREE lights, look up "Waterproof 8.4V battery pack" on E-Bay (or probably Amazon).

You'll find either hard plastic refillable battery cases, or hard plastic cases with batteries (that are sealed, and not openable).
I didn't even know they sold the cases separately. Good to know.
Old 08-24-18, 11:13 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've gone through a couple of aftermarket battery packs for my Magicshine lights, and the next pack I get is going to be one I fill with decent cells.
Old 08-24-18, 02:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I've gone through a couple of aftermarket battery packs for my Magicshine lights, and the next pack I get is going to be one I fill with decent cells.
I'm wary of the driver circuit not having overvoltage protection and cell balance on the ones that you can refill. It may be no worse than the cheap sealed multi-battery packs, but something about that concerns me and I'd be reluctant to try a generic case, maybe look for a known reliable product even if it means pay a little more.
Old 08-24-18, 08:41 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Oh, and BTW, get some fire/explosion proof case when charging those cheap Lithium Ion battery packs...
Old 08-31-18, 02:10 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by puzzled
I've been looking around for new headlights and come across these 2400 lumens lights for 24 bucks. Comparing to other lights from more well-known producers, these seem waaay too cheap. Are these too good to be true, or are reputable light producers overcharging us? Have anyone had a good experience with these lights?
I've been a buyer of cheap Chinese type lights for more than 15 years. While I don't own one of lights that you linked to I'll give you my opinion based on what I know. I looked at the provided video. I'm surprised they included the video because the video makes the highest output look only around 300 lumen. One of the reviewers ( on Amazon ) did provide some static photos. Those made the lamp look very bright. Based on those photos I'd say the highest mode is around 1000 lumen. The question is; "Which do you believe, the video or the photos". I would tend to believe the photos but only because many people reported the light to be bright. Just keep in mind that no way is the output going to be 2400 lumen. I'm surprised that Amazon is allowing the seller to make such a claim .

Now with all this said I can't really say not to buy one. For $24, a lamp head and two cell battery...that's pretty good bang for the buck. ( assuming of course that the lamp works and has no problems ) Please note that 20% of the buyers rated the product two stars or less. That's a significant number of dissatisfied buyers. Doesn't mean you won't get something that works but you will be rolling the dice as I like to say. Likely the tint of the beam pattern will have some blueness to it which is typical of cheap Chinese lamps using T6 emitters. The seller claims this lamp provides a "flat beam pattern". I'm assuming this is Chin-english for a cutoff beam pattern. None of the photo's or video I viewed showed this but judging from the ad photos the lamp might be using an optic to help narrow the beam pattern.

For $24 I say go for it. If you are a member of Amazon Prime you can return the item if something is wrong with it. If you use this lamp on the highest mode, are able to see very good for 100 ft. and have the run time ( on high ) last two hours, I would say you got your monies worth as long as it lasts a year.