Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Legality of colored bike headlights?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Legality of colored bike headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 09:48 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Laser projections are only good in pitch dark surroundings.
Old 10-27-18, 06:54 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
We are not allowed green headlights in Britain. Green means 'go' so it wouldn't be wise to fit one if you expect to find on-coming traffic!

White front, red rear, amber side but amber is also ok all around. Amber pedal reflectors are legal requirement. And in my opinion, a flashing amber light is safer than a red one because it represents a hazard beacon.

I don't see why green would be used for ground symbols.
Old 10-27-18, 07:49 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
It isn't really a headlight so I don't see that it would likely fall under existing law. But it would be a worthless accessory. As others have noted, if it's dark enough for a laser projection to be sufficiently visible standard lighting will be more than ample. Being visible at night is only an issue when there is ambient light and laser light doesn't show up well in those conditions.
Old 10-27-18, 01:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The reason why you don't see a row or bar of lights across the front of cars is because federal laws also prohibit any additional type/color/intensity of lights except those already approved. I don't think the laser is visible except for its projection on the ground.
Old 11-05-18, 12:38 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Peralta99
There's a product out there that casts a green projection on the ground from a mounted headlight...
Ah, the Beryl Laserlight from the UK.

The kernel of the idea was to keep taxis & buses from left hooking London cyclists:

and to keep pedestrians from stepping out in front of cyclists:

Sez Beryl: "The Transport Research Laboratory report showed that the Laserlight projection can help a cyclist achieve up to 97% visibility in the blind spot of vehicles when cycling in the dark."
"The projection is proven to make you up to 32% more visible* (*independent study by Transport Research Lab)."

They're currently soliciting on Kickstarter for investors/backers for another, cheaper 'improved' model.

I shudder to think what the fussy-about-bike-lights Germans would do if you rode through Stuttgart at night with one of these!

The Vienna International Convention on Road Traffic, Chapter V "CONDITIONS FOR THE ADMISSION OF CYCLES AND MOPEDS TO INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC", ARTICLE 44, offers:

1. Cycles without an engine in international traffic shall:
(a) Have an efficient brake;

(b) Be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient distance, and carry no other audible warning device;
(c) Be equipped with a red reflecting device at the rear and with devices such that the cycle can show a white or selective-yellow light to the front and a red light to the rear.

Hmph, that says what you have to have in the way of lights and reflectors. I don't see an prohibition on having something additional. That phrase about 'white or selective-yellow', though...

Bedtime story: Once, long ago before you were born, we didn't know how to make white LEDs! Shocking, but true. The first 'Front Safety LED Lights' for bicycles were bluish or greenish. I still have a first generation Cateye front safety light that glows green. FWIW, nobody never said nothin'.

Last edited by tcs; 11-08-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 05:46 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Someone said that in the UK it's okay, but not in the US.
Fun fact: In the USA, OEM bicycle safety equipage is regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission under "toys", not by the Department of Transportation. The CPSC has NO requirements for bicycle lights. The "Federal Code of Regulations, Title 49 - Transportation, Section 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment" only covers requirements for motor vehicles.

I believe bicycle headlights are regulated by the states, so you would have to search the regulations by state.
Yep, bicycle use on the public thoroughfares of the USA is regulated by states and municipalities, and by extension that's where bicycle lighting regulations will be found. Anybody live in a state that bans green lights on bicycles, for real, like you can refer us to the section of the law? I don't find any restrictions here in Parts Unknown; in fact, in the state vehicle lighting code I see:

Sec. 547.002. APPLICABILITY. Unless a provision is specifically made applicable, this chapter and the rules of the department adopted under this chapter do not apply to...
(5) a bicycle, a bicyclist, or bicycle equipment

Specific bike law requires a white headlamp and either a red reflector or red tail lamp for operation @ night, but there are no other requirements or restrictions.

There are federal and state restrictions on the (mis)use of laser pointers, but these bicycle lights don't meet those definitions.

Last edited by tcs; 11-05-18 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 07:58 PM
BLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This is from Pennsylvania's bicycle manual. Colors are specified.

Section 3507. Lamps or other equipment on pedalcycles. (a) Lamps and reflectors.—Every pedalcycle when in use between sunset and sunrise shall be equipped on the front with a lamp which emits a beam of white light intended to illuminate the pedalcycle operator's path and visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front, a red reflector facing to the rear which shall be visible at least 500 feet to the rear, and an amber reflector on each side. Operators of pedalcycles may supplement the required front lamp with a white flashing lamp, light-emitting diode or similar device to enhance their visibility to other traffic and with a lamp emitting a red flashing lamp, light-emitting diode or similar device visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear. A lamp or lamps worn by the operator of a pedalcycle shall comply with the requirements of this subsection if the lamp or lamps can be seen at the distances specified.
Old 11-05-18, 08:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
So in PA, you must have a white light, but if you have another light of another color, the law doesn't mention it. It sounds like it will be OK.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-18, 04:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ask for forgiveness, from the judge, plead ignorance of the vehicle code requirements.