Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bicycle alarm. Some way to make battery last?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 07:57 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

So my last alarm was this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110db-Si...1Ob:rk:23:pf:0
and it takes several button batteries which dont last long. Waste of money.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bicycle-...npC:rk:21:pf:0
this one i have had the wireless and non wireless also the battery doesn't last long. I got rechargeables for this one and it runs out maybe in 2 days. Its not like i am out there riding and parking all day.

So is there some way i can adapt something else into the lock one to make it last longer? I dont know i am prolli grasping at straws here...
Old 12-08-18, 06:26 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
What's the point...? You think a $10 gadget that'll go beepbeep every time a breeze shakes your bike is really gunna stop somebody walking off with it? Those pieces of China carp aren't waterproof, wouldn't last a week being rained on.

Anything that runs off just a battery is a TEMPORARY device, not designed for long term service. Anything that makes a sound or runs a radio transceiver will suck a lot of energy - you can't argue against physics. And being powered by coincells, AAAs or 9V batteries... well those sizes are pretty poor for energy density - you can't argue against chemistry either.

Here, hook it up to one of these...
[img]webkit-fake-url://42827867-2074-410a-8512-8db44f8ab78c/imagejpeg[/img]...might run a bit longer

But you'll still have to recharge or replace it routinely!
Old 12-08-18, 06:31 PM
Tamiya

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Old 12-09-18, 03:51 AM
rapattack

Odd i dont know why i cant directly reply...anyway Tamiya none of that is my experience. No winds where i am or rare. They have scared off people as i have seen that happen at a distance. The last two i had were great. I went thru torrential rain several times and they were fine after. Yeah but your talking to someone that has no understanding of what your saying. These batteries last a long time in other devices so none of that makes sense to me. What makes an alarmed device different? What your saying is not well known as no one where i am knows this. I am the rare ebike user where i am. If someone wants advice on ebikes they ask me as i have had years of experience. We all learn about stuff according to what we are exposed to. I cant see the url /image you posted. As far as the car battery well i know nothing about them either as never owned a car in my life and never will
Old 12-10-18, 10:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Each appliance has a natural appetite for power of a given size. Alarms that are loud use more energy than other appliances, which is why a button battery is inappropriate. You can attach a large battery to your bike and wire it to your alarm. Be sure the voltage is correct.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 08:56 PM
rapattack

Originally Posted by noglider
Each appliance has a natural appetite for power of a given size. Alarms that are loud use more energy than other appliances, which is why a button battery is inappropriate. You can attach a large battery to your bike and wire it to your alarm. Be sure the voltage is correct.
yes definately right there and the 9v one is horrid too from experience. Even though it is a set of 6 button batteries i think they are just not good. The 9v i used in the previous alarms just as bad. so what would you recommend as i have no idea
Old 12-10-18, 09:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

What ratings are printed on the button batteries? Add them up to determine the voltage that the alarm uses. Then find a bigger battery that provides that voltage.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-10-18, 09:17 PM
rapattack

What ratings are printed on the button batteries? Add them up to determine the voltage that the alarm uses. Then find a bigger battery that provides that voltage.
oh thanks i didnt know it was that simple...your a big help
Old 12-11-18, 01:32 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have you considered one of Abus' alarm locks. Not sure if you're also in the market for a lock, but if so, I think these are pretty interesting. I'm on the fence about getting the Bordo, and they have a U-lock option too.
Old 12-11-18, 02:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
In theory, CR2032 batteries can be replaced with rechargeable LIR2032 batteries. But, recharging is still a pain.

It all depends on the battery type being used.
Old 12-11-18, 08:51 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Have you considered one of Abus' alarm locks. Not sure if you're also in the market for a lock, but if so, I think these are pretty interesting. I'm on the fence about getting the Bordo, and they have a U-lock option too.
Ah seem to be mostly for disk brakes. I do have a ulock already. I see that the australian ebay site has the ulock but doesnt seem to be alarmed plus hugely expensive. Ah well i think i do have enough locks on the bike
Old 12-11-18, 08:54 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by CliffordK
In theory, CR2032 batteries can be replaced with rechargeable LIR2032 batteries. But, recharging is still a pain.

It all depends on the battery type being used.
Oh i wonder if there is a rechargeable version of the button batteries i have in the lock? How do u recharge them btw? I know that there is some type of button battery in my solar back red light on the bicycle but i thought i replaced that with an ordinary cr2032....hmmmm this is interesting as that was maybe a year ago and its working fine being recharged by the sun.
Old 12-11-18, 09:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You will get answers to some of your questions from google, with a lot less labor, than from us. Keep this in mind whenever you have a question. Eventually, your searching skills will improve.

Old 12-11-18, 09:04 AM
rapattack

You will get answers to some of your questions from google, with a lot less labor, than from us. Keep this in mind whenever you have a question. Eventually, your searching skills will improve.
yeah i tried that first. I dont understand enough for it to really help...this post did thanks
Old 12-11-18, 09:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

When I google "how to charge a LIR2032 cell" I see only home-made chargers. So if you're not equipped to follow those instructions, then charging those cells is out of reach for you, as there seem to be no ready-made chargers. I'll bet the cells in your alarm are CR2032, not LIR2032.

Old 12-11-18, 09:17 AM
rapattack

When I google "how to charge a LIR2032 cell" I see only home-made chargers. So if you're not equipped to follow those instructions, then charging those cells is out of reach for you, as there seem to be no ready-made chargers. I'll bet the cells in your alarm are CR2032, not LIR2032.
Oh ok thats fine. Yeah no they are not cr2032's in the alarm. Different button battery. Cant remember the number right now. I know its the same type i have in a small alarm that i use that vibrates to wake me up. I dont like sound alarms because the disability i have. Vibration is a nicer way to wake up. Maybe it is AG something. Anyway since button batteries are unlikely to have commercial chargers its fine
Old 12-11-18, 11:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Maybe one of these which go by many designations.

Old 12-12-18, 07:33 AM
rapattack

Maybe one of these which go by many designations.
Yes thats the ones. I think i have to put six in...very uneconomical since they only last under a week...maybe two days. They work great in the alarm/vibration thing i use at home to wake me up but not the bike alarm
Old 12-12-18, 08:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

If they are 1.5v cells, and if they are arrayed together in series, which they probably are, then that creates a 9v battery. So you need to find a large 9v battery.

I want to repeat the warning that this may be more trouble than it's worth, because an audible bike alarm isn't likely to thwart a thief. And it should be easy for the thief to defeat, especially if the battery is external.

Old 12-12-18, 09:48 AM
rapattack

If they are 1.5v cells, and if they are arrayed together in series, which they probably are, then that creates a 9v battery. So you need to find a large 9v battery.

I want to repeat the warning that this may be more trouble than it's worth, because an audible bike alarm isn't likely to thwart a thief. And it should be easy for the thief to defeat, especially if the battery is external.
Oh cool yeah i already have two rechargeable versions of these 9v batteries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D..._Volt_0849.jpg that i purchased for another alarm. cool how do i hook that up? Oh yeah i understand...depends how i have to connect it. Motion alarms are unknown where i am. I remember the previous ones i have had i watched around the corner where i parked my bike in different places over the years and they certainly deterred the bike theirves and idiots that were drunk. I had so many people sit on the bike, jump on it etc, Someone one year demolished my bike basket while i watched a parade. They are just losers around here. Fortunately hasnt happened in a while but then there are way more bikes out there now...but more bike theives too
Old 12-12-18, 10:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Look up wiring supplies, and maybe you'll get an idea.

Have you ever browsed through a hardware store and gotten ideas on how to fix or build things?

Old 12-12-18, 10:17 AM
rapattack

Look up wiring supplies, and maybe you'll get an idea.

Have you ever browsed through a hardware store and gotten ideas on how to fix or build things?
Sure all the time. This i dont have a clue...its out of my relm
Old 12-12-18, 10:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Try browsing through instructables.com. That might get you going. And I'm sure there are other places where people show how they do DIY stuff.

Old 12-13-18, 06:02 AM
rapattack

Try browsing through instructables.com. That might get you going. And I'm sure there are other places where people show how they do DIY stuff.
I have no idea what search words to use as i dont know what i am doing. Might just leave it because thats why i asked here about this stuff. No idea where to start. The only words i can think of is wire, button battery, convert , 9v battery...doesnt sound like enough did a search using those words but no luck
Old 12-13-18, 08:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

In a case like this, a search using keywords isn't the thing. See what others have done in unrelated projects and see their techniques and supplies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.