Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommended 20" bike for 8 year old boy? (Raleigh vs Jamis vs Trek)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 07:08 AM
sofakng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son is currently using a 16" Specialized Hotrock but needs a larger bicycle. He's about 49.5" tall and our local bicycle shop recommends a 20" instead of 24" and I think I agree because I don't want the bicycle too big for him to be comfortable.

However, our local bicycle shop no longer sells Specialized but instead sells Jamis and Raleigh. They suggested the Raleigh MXR 20 (MSRP $189.99 but they are asking $239.99?!) and the Jamis Laser 20 (MSRP $249.99 asking $229.99).

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these bikes?

There is also a Trek dealer about 30 minutes away so I would consider them but they aren't as close as the Raleigh/Jamis dealer.

(I also see the Raleigh Rowdy 20" for MSRP $249.99 but my dealer never mentioned it and I'm not too thrilled with the color but it's OK I guess)
Old 03-20-19, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Business..

BMX style 20" Wheel bike ? https://www.raleighusa.com/mxr20

there are other companies .. too 'making' just BMX bikes
the bicycle motocross rider does not sit down and pedal, but stands.. , so your boy really wont outgrow it..
but may want a different style of bike.. depending on what their friends are into

Most-all are rebadged for each importer , by a big multi brand OEM factory to cut costs.*.
And so at same price ...more same than different ..
* you did mention costs ..

Who you buy from may matter more than the brand, (In independent bike dealers) so pick the Shop First ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-25-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 01:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by sofakng
My son is currently using a 16" Specialized Hotrock but needs a larger bicycle. He's about 49.5" tall and our local bicycle shop recommends a 20" instead of 24" and I think I agree because I don't want the bicycle too big for him to be comfortable.

However, our local bicycle shop no longer sells Specialized but instead sells Jamis and Raleigh. They suggested the Raleigh MXR 20 (MSRP $189.99 but they are asking $239.99?!) and the Jamis Laser 20 (MSRP $249.99 asking $229.99).

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these bikes?

There is also a Trek dealer about 30 minutes away so I would consider them but they aren't as close as the Raleigh/Jamis dealer.

(I also see the Raleigh Rowdy 20" for MSRP $249.99 but my dealer never mentioned it and I'm not too thrilled with the color but it's OK I guess)
My youngest is about 8.5yo and we are building up a 24" hotrock for her right now. She has been using a 20" bike for the last couple years and could stay with it for another few months, but she is adamant on the bigger bike, even though she is the same height as your son. Itll be bigger than ideal for this spring and summer, but hopefully itll fit properly come the fall.
Anyways- point is that your kid will probably get a season out of the 20" before he can comfortably and confidently fit a 24". Perhaps keep that in mind when it comes to quality, price, etc.

Why the Raleigh cots more than MSRP is beyond me. Its $144.99 on their corporate discount site https://www.raleighusa.com/kids/4-9-years-old

Both the Raleigh and Jamis are overbuilt BMX bikes. Perfectly fine and suitable. Neither will wear out before your son is ready for larger bike.

Our 20" bike is a 7 speed and its good for helping our daughter go faster when possible and climbing easier(less complaining) when needed, but it is super difficult for little hands to change the grip shft. Even after 7 years of use(2 kids) its still difficult to twist. Just an FYI to keep in mind for if you do decide to go with gears. Some of the grip shifts are easy to twist and others are brutal.
Old 03-20-19, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my two cents, actual bike doesn't matter, buy used, he'll outgrow it in a year or two. can't remember how many bikes both my kids went thru over the years before finally stopping at adult sized bikes
Old 03-23-19, 07:52 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Consider a xootr Swift ?
I know they have been out of production a couple years,
But seem to be available.
They are light for a youngster to handle,
Expandable, so they will be able to grow into it for a few years,
Easily replaced or upgraded components, as needed.
Old 03-23-19, 09:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Another vote for buying used. Also, no age is too young for a kid to begin learning how to wrench on a bike.
Old 03-25-19, 12:47 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Let him pick. Do specs/comparisons really matter? Maybe the color is most important.
Old 03-25-19, 01:25 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Raleigh's website shows 8 yrs at the top of the age bracket for 20", so you may want to look at 24" to give him room to grow with it. Worse, no front brake on the MXR. I'd object to the premium pricing, too.

I also think you should look at the used market.
Old 03-25-19, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
rugged stunt riding moto cross bicycles are a different from a budget conscious kids bike with the same wheel size..
saddle is a bit tilted on this one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMX_bike
Old 03-25-19, 05:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my two cents, actual bike doesn't matter, buy used, he'll outgrow it in a year or two. can't remember how many bikes both my kids went thru over the years before finally stopping at adult sized bikes
That's what I was thinking too. I'd suggest taking the kid with me to the store and buy whichever excites him more.
Old 03-26-19, 07:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Just remember the kid will outgrow the bike long before it falls apart from wear.

While there is definitely a noticeable quality difference between a Wal Mart kids bike and a Trek kids bike, the kid won't likely notice and the quality difference usually means the parts just wear out faster. And since the kids' bike isn't going to be ridden 3,000 miles before it's outgrown....the Wal Mart bike is good enough if there are budget concerns. However it wouldn't kill you to take it apart and put it back together properly before use.

If you just want a nicer bike, I get that. Craigslist can be your friend. Every other parent who spent money on a more expensive bike eventually had a kid that outgrew it before it wore out too. So there is a HUGE inventory of brand name kids bikes on Craigslist at Wal Mart prices. But it takes longer to buy one because you have to check every day and wait for the right deal to come around. If you're patient it pays off.

For the record, I've done this both ways. My kids' 16 inch bike is a Wal Mart bike (Amazon actually...but same quality) and its' on it's second kid and doing fine. My kids' 20 inch bike is a mid range Diamondback bike with an all Shimano drive train (Lower end, but still Shimano and not Acme Co from Roadrunner cartoons) that cost me $60 on Craigslist, same bike at Dick's was $250.

My kids' next bike, a 24" was pulled out of the trash pile one morning. Literally in the trash pile! And in basically new condition. Just needed a thorough cleaning and new pedals. Neither kid can ride it yet but the older one has helped me with all the repair labor and learned how to dissembled and reassemble it. So that's been fun too.
Old 03-26-19, 07:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Whichever one the kid likes best. As others have stated, quality and brand names isn't all that important at that level, the bike will be outgrown and discarded well before any of that comes into play. Getting something they actually want to ride is far more important.