Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bias ply in bicycle tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 02:49 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts

As far as I know, all bike tires are bias ply. Why aren't any made in radial ply?
Old 03-24-19, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Were. but I don't recall who did so..
Old 03-24-19, 03:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
As far as I know, all bike tires are bias ply. Why aren't any made in radial ply?
Too squirmy.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-24-19, 04:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The Jamis Gentry city bike I bought in 1985 came stock with Panaracer radial ply tires. As 'verified' by Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_tire

The tires felt a little 'funny' as I recall and I replaced them at some point. 'Funny' probably was 'squirmy'.
Old 03-24-19, 11:10 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Radial ply is good for wheels which work upright - not so good when leaning over!
Old 03-25-19, 03:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Radial ply is good for wheels which work upright - not so good when leaning over!
Yet, you can have either radial or bias ply motorcycle tires.

I think the first question should be what the heck is a radial tire, and what is a bias tire.

Ok, so some reading.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/bias...s-best-for-you

So, a pure bias ply tire has plies arranged at crossing angles, and the same number of sidewall plies as tread plies.

This gives a fairly rigid sidewall.

In a pure radial tire, all the sidewall plies are unidirectional, perpendicular to the tire rotation direction.

Then it has some kind of a tread belt in the contact area.

Steel belts are common, but not necessarily required.

The crossed plies are supposed to have higher friction than the uncrossed plies. And, the belt around the tread can be used to help force the tire into the desired shape.

Now we get to bicycle tires. Almost all of them have crossed plies, but many have much thinner sidewalls than center tread areas. There were steel belted tires a few decades ago, but now mostly more plies and Kevlar in the tread area.

Anyway, many of the performance tires have very supple sidewalls, but still a crossed design. As well as having stiffer middle tread areas.

More central plies would have some radial tire design characteristics.

I have to wonder if there is a risk of ply separation with radial plies on bike tires, and tubes bulging out. I presume car tires have so much rubber and so stiff of plies in the sidewalls that bulge is prevented.
Old 03-25-19, 05:52 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Because it’s not a very good design for a traditional bicycle tire, particularly with thin sidewall performance tires using high pressure tubes. Also, the tire on a (non-suspension) bicycle does the majority of the dampening work. This isn’t the case with automobiles and modern motorcycles.
Old 03-25-19, 06:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Were. but I don't recall who did so..
National Tire Co. in Japan made a radial bike tire for the Trek 890. They had a weird, squirmy ride quality.

Bottom line is bikes don't really benefit from radial tire construction.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBroc...AllTerrain.htm
Old 03-25-19, 04:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
In the mid-eighties Miyata had radial tires on their top two touring bikes. They worked OK, but did not wear well. I believe they were made by National Tire of Japan.
Old 03-26-19, 06:52 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Tried a pair of them back in the day and they did indeed squirm. Took 'em right off again.
Old 03-26-19, 09:54 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My 2013 Culprit Croz Blade came with Maxxus Radiale clinchers that used radial construction. The rolled very well, handled well, and wore out very quickly, probably because of a soft rubber compound. When I saw steel cords showing, I switched over to Gatorskin Continentals. It seemed the replacement price was double that of Gators. I had a high speed flat, with no drama, and the tire was still useable. Sorry but I don't have a better picture of them. These are 23s and the Gators I use are 25s, about as big as will fit. I haven't checked lately if they are still bring made.

Not my bike, but a better tire picture

The Maxxus is still available, here's a link:
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-247-143-radiale

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-26-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 06:37 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I had a radial tire once but it drove me crazy, it only received one station and I hated the music selection.
Old 03-29-19, 03:06 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
The Maxxus is still available, here's a link:
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-247-143-radiale
Interesting.

Old models: 22/24mm, being dumped on E-Bay for cheap.
New models: 23/25mm

It is interesting to conceptualize what keeps the tires from experiencing wind-up. I suppose it is counteracted with both tire pressure, and collapsing the belt.

However, on a bicycle, the rear tire moves somewhat differently than the front. So, the rear is constantly exposed to micro accelerations.

It would seem that these micro-accelerations would cause more wind-up with the radials than the bias tires. And, thus, on the rear, would experience more friction than the bias counterparts.

Nonethless, they should be fun tires to try out.
Old 03-29-19, 09:51 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I was very happy with the ride and handling of the Maxxus. I didn't like the fast tread wear. I think I saw steel cords showing at under 1000 miles. I know the price has dropped, but I have Gatorskins on my other bikes, so I went with them. A few years ago they were in the $80-90 range, double the Gatorskin at the time. I've always wondered what it would be like to try some new ones, again. They were fun to ride.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-29-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:01 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Interesting.

Old models: 22/24mm, being dumped on E-Bay for cheap.
New models: 23/25mm

It is interesting to conceptualize what keeps the tires from experiencing wind-up. I suppose it is counteracted with both tire pressure, and collapsing the belt.

However, on a bicycle, the rear tire moves somewhat differently than the front. So, the rear is constantly exposed to micro accelerations.

It would seem that these micro-accelerations would cause more wind-up with the radials than the bias tires. And, thus, on the rear, would experience more friction than the bias counterparts.

Nonethless, they should be fun tires to try out.
Explain 'wind-up', please. I haven't heard the term before.
Old 03-29-19, 02:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rollagain
Explain 'wind-up', please. I haven't heard the term before.
Same idea as using radial vs cross spokes on a wheel build (rear driver, or front disc brake).

The crossed spokes means that when you pedal, 1/2 of the spokes are oriented so that torque at the hub is transferred to the rim. And, half the spokes go lax.

If one had radial spokes, there would be a greater risk of twisting between the hub and the rim.

Now, I have seen a 72 spoke radial rear wheel. So, I presume with more spokes, the torque on the rim/nipples is less from the radial spokes. So, perhaps it is less of an issue with radials tires.

But, my question with a radial tire is if there would be a springy effect when one goes from the cranks horizontal power part of the stroke to the top/bottom part of the stroke.

And, whether one would actually feel that springing, whether it would impact power.

It is noted that with radial tires on cars, there is a lot of discussion about always driving them in the same direction. Of course, usually only one axle is powered.

But, with bias ply tires, people would do a right to left rotation. With radial tires, one does a front/back rotation.

Again, I have to wonder if that has something to do with the torque applied on the radial sidewall.

Or, maybe standards have changed. Looking up cross rotation now, and it doesn't seem to be considered a serious issue for radials.
Old 03-29-19, 09:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Same idea as using radial vs cross spokes on a wheel build (rear driver, or front disc brake).

The crossed spokes means that when you pedal, 1/2 of the spokes are oriented so that torque at the hub is transferred to the rim. And, half the spokes go lax.

If one had radial spokes, there would be a greater risk of twisting between the hub and the rim.

Now, I have seen a 72 spoke radial rear wheel. So, I presume with more spokes, the torque on the rim/nipples is less from the radial spokes. So, perhaps it is less of an issue with radials tires.

But, my question with a radial tire is if there would be a springy effect when one goes from the cranks horizontal power part of the stroke to the top/bottom part of the stroke.

And, whether one would actually feel that springing, whether it would impact power.

It is noted that with radial tires on cars, there is a lot of discussion about always driving them in the same direction. Of course, usually only one axle is powered.

But, with bias ply tires, people would do a right to left rotation. With radial tires, one does a front/back rotation.

Again, I have to wonder if that has something to do with the torque applied on the radial sidewall.

Or, maybe standards have changed. Looking up cross rotation now, and it doesn't seem to be considered a serious issue for radials.
Rotation was important with bias ply vehicle tires to even out the wear. Radials naturally conform to the road better so it's far less of an issue.

And unlike with bicycle tires, modern vehicle tread patterns actually do make a difference with hydroplaning, so it's important to point them in the right direction. The construction of the tire carcass has nothing to do with it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 03-29-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 09:24 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Yet, you can have either radial or bias ply motorcycle tires.

I think the first question should be what the heck is a radial tire, and what is a bias tire.

Ok, so some reading.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/bias...s-best-for-you

So, a pure bias ply tire has plies arranged at crossing angles, and the same number of sidewall plies as tread plies.

This gives a fairly rigid sidewall.

In a pure radial tire, all the sidewall plies are unidirectional, perpendicular to the tire rotation direction.

Then it has some kind of a tread belt in the contact area.

Steel belts are common, but not necessarily required.

The crossed plies are supposed to have higher friction than the uncrossed plies. And, the belt around the tread can be used to help force the tire into the desired shape.

Now we get to bicycle tires. Almost all of them have crossed plies, but many have much thinner sidewalls than center tread areas. There were steel belted tires a few decades ago, but now mostly more plies and Kevlar in the tread area.

Anyway, many of the performance tires have very supple sidewalls, but still a crossed design. As well as having stiffer middle tread areas.

More central plies would have some radial tire design characteristics.

I have to wonder if there is a risk of ply separation with radial plies on bike tires, and tubes bulging out. I presume car tires have so much rubber and so stiff of plies in the sidewalls that bulge is prevented.

Wow CliffordK ! Great info !
Old 03-30-19, 12:25 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Modern motorcycle tires would beg to differ.
Old 04-03-19, 06:27 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Here's this from Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly, on how bicycle innovation trails automobile and motorcycle innovation:

"Radial tires have improved traction and fuel efficiency of cars and motorbikes for decades, yet today’s bicycles still roll on old-fashioned bias-ply tires. Panaracer in Japan actually made radial bicycle tires decades ago, but a lack of interest stopped that experiment before the tires could be perfected. Improved traction and better efficiency – what is not to like? "
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...ikes-and-cars/
Old 04-03-19, 06:48 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
"Radial tires have improved traction and fuel efficiency of cars and motorbikes for decades, yet today’s bicycles still roll on old-fashioned bias-ply tires. Panaracer in Japan actually made radial bicycle tires decades ago, but a lack of interest stopped that experiment before the tires could be perfected. Improved traction and better efficiency – what is not to like? "
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...ikes-and-cars/
There is extreme interest in puncture protection and efficiency... at least with some cyclists. So, perhaps manufactures will start doing some experimenting again.

I did order some of the Maxxis tires.

Crashing in Pro races due to over inflation and slick tires?
Old 04-04-19, 11:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I tried to find some info on those Maxxis radials and the forum thread that turned up claimed they had a fiber angle of 75 degrees, confirmed by an old catalog (pdf). The theory would be that's enough away from the 54-deg hose braid bias ply angle to give more compliance but still enough to prevent the squirmy feeling if the fibers were at 90 degrees (all hoop). I wonder what Panaracer did, by comparison.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-04-19 at 11:29 PM.