Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Twist on Qwik Chain Luber

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-10-19, 01:42 PM
allout1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...paign=94b61144

It's just a little cloth sponge like disc between two plastic discs. You pull the plastic ones apart, and you lube up the cloth sponge disc. Put them back together, and hold the axis in the center between thumb and finger while the sponge rolls over the chain...while back pedaling.

Old 05-10-19, 01:49 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Pretty slick, but you wouldn't think there would be a real need for a Kickstarter program for something that simple.

-Matt
Old 05-10-19, 01:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Waste of money and time if you use the best chain lube on the planet--NFS. You only need a few drops for the entire chain. Ergo, a lube-soaked sponge is not needed. But y'all keep doin' what y'all doin'.
Old 05-10-19, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Pretty slick, but you wouldn't think there would be a real need for a Kickstarter program for something that simple.

-Matt
Maybe the sponge is made of a space-age polymer developed by NASA and thus is extremely expensive. Or maybe they are not confident of success and thus don't want to risk a dime of their own money.
Old 05-10-19, 02:34 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
By golly, this is IT! They can turn off the Hadron Super Collider now. THIS is the best invention of mankind!
Old 05-10-19, 02:42 PM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
.... their ad states: "More Riding Pleasure" and "No Loss of Performance" --Is this chain lube or a condom?
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 05-10-19, 06:40 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're looking at the readson for Kickstarter the wrong way.

If you have a cheap, little element like that, someone will jump in on the concept with a slightly different twist right away. That means that they capture the potential customers, and if they have the capital for funding the bulk manufacturing, marketing, and distribution while you don't, then you've lost the market, the ship never lands.

So you go on these crowd funding sites, sup up the campaign to get all of the investments and donations to rain down on it...from the crowds...with email blitzes, twitter, fb, etc for a month, pull capital over the side, and go to the next crowd funding site.

First thing is to send those globs of dough to the marketing campaigners, manufacturer, and all of the other rigs and regs that eat money like wildfires, and land the product on as broad of a surface area as financially possible. Turn it over, hold up the revenue as collateral, find further investors and lenders who see collateral, blow up the "make-and-market" project further. Then repeat this until the return on investment starts to contract. By that time the competitor enters with a new twist on the gadget, and you toss the reigns over to who wants to ride it out while, your taking your winnings to the next big thing that you have to go do.

And that's what's going to happen. It could be the people behind this kickstarter gig, or it could be someone else who would have done it if they didn't do it first. But that's what happens to you or with you depending on whether you know how to.
Old 05-10-19, 08:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I could make that for free, but I prefer to put my bike on the stand and put 1 drop of oil on each roller. Takes maybe 2 mins more, but it's better IMO.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-10-19, 08:54 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
They raised almost a $100,000 by almost 2,500 backers so this has to tell you there is a market for it. I wouldn't use it but lots of people would. I hope it is successful for them.
Old 05-10-19, 08:57 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
$20 for this innovation? Isn't April 1st over already?

Next time I run out of electrical tape i safe the plastic drum and glue some foam on it.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-10-19, 10:29 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You all are right: DIY.

But...the big market of bike commuters in all of the metros and cities world wide...they got no time for making anything like this.

It's see it, buy it, lube it, time saved several fold. That's all it's about; crunching time. And that's the kind of people that get paid, so things like this soak up that pay on a mass scale.
Old 05-11-19, 06:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
A solution for a non-existent problem? And it seems the sponge would soak up some of the lubricant, and perhaps hold onto some of the grime coming off of the chain. No thanks.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-11-19, 06:24 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by allout1
You all are right: DIY.

But...the big market of bike commuters in all of the metros and cities world wide...they got no time for making anything like this.

It's see it, buy it, lube it, time saved several fold. That's all it's about; crunching time. And that's the kind of people that get paid, so things like this soak up that pay on a mass scale.
There probably is a business case, just not one that is rationale. After all we live in a world where people pay $2 for a bottle of water that cost about 0.0000001 ct in water cost.
Old 05-11-19, 06:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

I’ve been doing this for a while now. The sponge is just from one of those small sponge paint brushes that you get at your local hardware or dollar store. The point on the tip focuses the lube where it needs to be. Stored in a Altoids tin. Application is simply putting several drops on the tip and running it along the inside of the chain. Sponge is simply stored in the tin. The tin is NOT filled with lube and the sponge is not soaked in lube, or you will end up putting WAY too much lube on. This method actually saves a lot of lube vs. putting a drop link by link and wiping off excess. Coverage is also more uniform and if you do it right there is no excess to wipe off. It’s also way quicker.

Last edited by jadocs; 05-11-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 07:09 AM
HerrKaLeun

Doesn't all that spongy stuff require a lot of lube just to be able to release some? And all the dirt of the chain will be in the foam, so you need to replace it every once a while? I see that creates quite a problem with contaminated waste and more use in lube.

Maybe I shouldn't laugh. I once was gullible enough and bought and used one of those Park tool chain washing machines and cassette floss to clean.... now i just wipe the chain after the ride and put some lube on every once a while...
Old 05-11-19, 07:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Doesn't all that spongy stuff require a lot of lube just to be able to release some? And all the dirt of the chain will be in the foam, so you need to replace it every once a while? I see that creates quite a problem with contaminated waste and more use in lube.

Maybe I shouldn't laugh. I once was gullible enough and bought and used one of those Park tool chain washing machines and cassette floss to clean.... now i just wipe the chain after the ride and put some lube on every once a while...
No you don’t need a lot of lube to release some. As mentioned I just use a few drops on the tip. I also don’t lube a dirty chain. Grime is not allowed to live on my bike. My chains are cleaned after every ride. I run it through my hand in using a t-shirt to get the grime off, then I do a few more passes with a clean t-shirt and rubbing alcohol. Lubing is done after that. I use a Connex chain so I am able to remove it by hand without having to replace the quick link. 5 minute job that includes chain removal, cleaning and lubing....using my method anyway. Can’t speak to the kickstarter project.

Last edited by jadocs; 05-11-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Recall that PT Barnum Quote?..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-11-19, 12:11 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
The second bike I ever owned--the second hand-me-down from my older brother--was a Columbia cruiser, and it had a little chain oiler built into the chain-guard. A little metal reservoir with a flip-top; it fed oil to a felt pad that brushed the top of the chain. No excess, no lack (as long as you topped off the reservoir now and then).

Some very early bikes had fully-enclosed chaincases that had an actual oil bath in the bottom of them, but I think they leaked pretty badly if the bike wasn't upright. Likely problematic for wheel removal, too.
Old 05-11-19, 08:00 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I think it's pretty neat. And yes I am a sucker for gadgets. Is a little high priced but like said earlier I'm sure cheaper knockoffs soon to follow.

Old 05-11-19, 08:42 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
A solution for a non-existent problem? . . . .
Totally. I never considered squeezing oil from bottle, to chain, even remotely a problem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 05-11-19, 11:04 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Won't work. You don't lube the outside of the chain but the inside between the pins an rollers by putting drops of lube on the links that get sucked in by capillary action. I don't think that will happen with this device, leading to wear of the pins
Old 05-12-19, 10:17 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Totally. I never considered squeezing oil from bottle, to chain, even remotely a problem.
this made me laugh.....
Old 05-12-19, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by allout1

I am a big city bike commuter (and road rider and loaded tourer) and I see no need to spend time making anything like that and thus no need to spend money on anything like that. Old shirts make perfect chain rags.
Old 05-12-19, 11:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute.
Old 05-12-19, 11:10 PM
allout1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
A solution for a non-existent problem? And it seems the sponge would soak up some of the lubricant, and perhaps hold onto some of the grime coming off of the chain. No thanks.
Good point. Hehe