Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

EXAGE 400 LX-never heard of these

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 04:06 PM
iRideAbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey guys i found a schwinn crosscut on craigslist he claims it is a cyclocross bike, he lists this component set, but i've never heard of exage 400 lx, could someone give me some info on this component set and maybe some info on the bike in question, he only wants 150 bucks for it so i think i'm gonna pull the trigger

any help is greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-20-07, 04:09 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a hybrid from the 90s and would make a nice conversion into a cyclocross bike because those 90's hybrids in a lot of ways were cyclocross bikes: 700c wheels with nice clearance, relaxed angles, cantilever brakes. Exage 400lx would be roughly equivalent to... Alivio, I'd say. Maybe Deore. They're a bit too old to draw an equivelency, but generally were decent components. If they are in good shape they'll work and function fine (I've got a mtb with exage 500lx), they just aren't exactly zoot stuff.
Old 09-20-07, 04:13 PM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah- $150... I dunno. If it was in really good shape and you could use all the components then maybe, but I've seen criss crosses- schwinn's top of the line hybrid bike- sell for less.
Old 09-20-07, 09:06 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds ok to me. I had a bike with Sport LX/Exage and it was fine.
www.firstflightbikes.com
This is a really good site for old mtb stuff. You can learn about how cool Suntour kit used to be...
Old 09-20-07, 09:30 PM
iRideAbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so i'm confused, is it a hybrid in the sense that its a road bike with flat bars, or is it one of those relaxed cruisers with half knobbys half slick because that would be perfect if it had flat bars and road tires because that's exactly what i want

so 150 bucks is a bit much? at any rate i'll call the guy tomorrow and set up a time to check it out
Old 09-21-07, 09:50 AM
TimJ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iRideAbike
ok so i'm confused, is it a hybrid in the sense that its a road bike with flat bars, or is it one of those relaxed cruisers with half knobbys half slick because that would be perfect if it had flat bars and road tires because that's exactly what i want

so 150 bucks is a bit much? at any rate i'll call the guy tomorrow and set up a time to check it out
Hybrids in the 90s were basically like cyclocross bikes, like I said. They had 700c tires, canti's, relaxed angles compared to a road bike and frames that were tougher than a road frame. A road bike will have quicker geometry, less-robust frame, less tire clearance, and side or centerpulls. Don't be confused it's real simple: they're like CX bikes but with flat bars. Google for schwinn criss cross or cross fit, or even Miyata triple cross and you'll probably find a few photos that will illustrate it for you. They make great conversions.