Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis Commuters: Redline 925, Ya or Nay?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 08:18 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I have been commuting from Minnetonka to Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis during the summer months/nice weather time of year for a few years. I get on the bike trail out by Shady Oak Lake, and take the trail in all the way to the Allina Commons exit that was just finished this year in Mpls. It is almost exactly 10-miles each way.

My question is this: is the Redline 925 a pretty good bike for such a simple, flat commute? I am not going to ride my good tri-bike to work, and I would like something with a rack and fenders. The whole way in is flat, as it used to be a railroad line, so I may as well go with a single-speed/fixed gear bike for simplicity and reliability. I would love to keep it under 600 dollars, and the wife REQUIRES that I keep it under 600 dollars.

What do you winter riders in Minneapolis think about the 925 for the purpose described?
Old 02-18-08, 08:36 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice route -- I used to ride it every day, so I know it well. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Redline 925. They sell that at the Hub, don't they?
Old 02-18-08, 08:52 PM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really comes down to preference. It looks like a nice bike.

I use a mountain bike for my ride. I think my Jamis Cross Country was around $380 four-ish years ago.

I like having a versatile bike for casual/family rides.

I just make sure everything stays lubed, and have not had any real problems with the bike due to slush, snow, etc...
Old 02-18-08, 10:13 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know nothing about minneapolis but I live in southern nebraska, it snows, drops frozen rain, and gets cold here too.
Anyway, I'd advise you to check to see if you can put studded tires on it (I think 700x32 is the smallest you can get, but don't quote me it could be bigger). It doesn't look to me like it'll handle large enough tires for this.

I also don't know about how well fixie/freewheel switching hubs work. But I can see a fixie being ugly to ride on ice/snow; carefully trying to coast by not torqueing the drivetrain at all. And in the warmer seasons you can flip it over to fixed gear, ya know, for torture (I mean, training).

As far as the gearing it's 42/16, so about 19mph at 90 rpms if my math is right. Seems a bit fast for a commute to me.

I think it looks like a fair weather commuter bike. And by fair weather, I mean anything but ice/snow.
Old 02-19-08, 08:50 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my 925 to commute on AND as a fixed gear cyclocross bike. I'm sure it will meet your needs.
Old 02-19-08, 09:56 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a relatively flat 14 mile one-way commute with only a single 75-100 foot climb up a bench that runs parralell to my route. The drop/climb up/down the bench is quite steep and is sometimes over 10%. My normal commuter is a single speed road bike running 42X16 in the winter and 42X15 in the summer. I have never once wished I had gears for that particular route, even with the bench in mind. I do have lots of other geared bikes, but I tend to gravitate toward the single speed for the commute.

Single speeds and fixies are suprisingly capable climbers, you just climb differently on them. And for the flats, as long as you gear appropriately for your style, single speeds are wonderful.

The only place I have felt limited by my single speed is extreme hilly riding (mountains) and uber-fast club rides with my weekend warrior buddies.
Old 02-19-08, 10:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a 9.2.5 and as long as you gear it appropriately for you it should work fine. I know several people that commute on fixed gear, and they seem to do better in the snow and ice than a regular bike. I don't have the problem of snow where I live so haven't had to try that yet.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-19-08, 11:52 AM
wharfrat

Bikes: LeMond Etape, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
I know nothing about minneapolis but I live in southern nebraska, it snows, drops frozen rain, and gets cold here too.
Anyway, I'd advise you to check to see if you can put studded tires on it (I think 700x32 is the smallest you can get, but don't quote me it could be bigger). It doesn't look to me like it'll handle large enough tires for this.

I also don't know about how well fixie/freewheel switching hubs work. But I can see a fixie being ugly to ride on ice/snow; carefully trying to coast by not torqueing the drivetrain at all. And in the warmer seasons you can flip it over to fixed gear, ya know, for torture (I mean, training).

As far as the gearing it's 42/16, so about 19mph at 90 rpms if my math is right. Seems a bit fast for a commute to me.

I think it looks like a fair weather commuter bike. And by fair weather, I mean anything but ice/snow.
They are very nice bikes....I had a 2006 and ended up selling it because the frame was too big. One thing I might add is, I think once you get past the 700X30 rubber that comes on it, you might have some clearance issues ... especially with the fenders. I seem to recall taking a 700X35 front off of my One Way and seeing if it would tuck up on the 925 and it didn't fit. I could be wrong. It hit fender...
Old 02-19-08, 12:28 PM
Whatsisname

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know two people with the 925's and they like them.
Old 02-19-08, 12:51 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whatsisname
I know two people with the 925's and they like them.
Do they ride year-round?

Also, since it's my thread, I may as well hijack it and as if all of you fellow Minnesotans use studded tires or not? The guys I have talked to don't really think that they are needed for my type of commute.

So, anyone that rides the Greenway a lot in the winter, chime in and let me know whether or not I should go with something that would take large studded tires instead? A 29er single-speed could work as well I guess.
Old 02-19-08, 01:29 PM
MNBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live near the Abbott Northwestern end of goalieMN's commute. I have only commuted during the non-frozen months so far, but walk my dog on the Greenway in the winter and have a fair idea of what some stretches are like.

They plow very quickly after snowstorms so there is seldom much depth of snow, except during the storms themselves. If it doesn't get warm or sunny for awhile after a storm there can be a residual thin layer of snow in spots after plowing.

What would make me want to have studded tires (and I probably won't start winter commuting until I get some) is that after some freeze/thaw cycles I have frequently seen areas on the Greenway that had been thin puddles caused by melting on the asphalt or running down from the sloped sides. When the temperature dropped or the sun went down these areas then became sheets of ice. The majority of the Greenway may have been good but it was interspersed with these sheets of ice here and there along the way.

Walking the dog one morning I saw a biker sitting in the middle of the Greenway next to her bike. She had gone down hard but said she was okay, just a little shaken up. She had hit one of these frozen ice sheets not realizing it for what it was and fell. She didn't have studded tires.

From what little I know I would recommend studded tires. If you want to get studded tires I would second crhilton's comments to make sure they would fit the bike before buying it to use in winter. Peter White Cycles has information on making sure studded tires would fit on your bike at: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
Old 02-19-08, 01:38 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute on the cedar lake trail year round from SLP to Downtown. And I ride your route a lot for fitness rides especially in the winter when it's uncrowded. That's a really great route you've got. No reason not to do it year round. When it snows they plow it before the roads most days. I think a single speed is perfect. The Redline 925 looks great and it's priced right, but clearance for studded tires would be my biggest concern.

My year round commuter is a Surly Cross Check single speed and I ride studs in the winter (nokian w106 35mm). They are the one piece of equipment that makes it possible for me to go year round. I know others do without (I don't know how) All winter this year there have been long stretches of ice on the paths and side streets, along with long sections of packed icy snow that will not melt until April. Also come spring when the daily freeze thaw cycle happens, in the mornings the paths can be like ice rinks. Studs make it not only possible, but easy.

Bottom line: I could not commute year round through the winter around here without the studs. No way.

Also FWIW 42:16 is a good ratio for a single speed. I run that most of the year and switch to 39:17 for winter and the studded tires.
Old 02-19-08, 02:02 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt any studded tires fit it. The Raleigh One-way is a similar bike that fits wider tires than the 9-2-5.
Old 02-19-08, 04:40 PM
wb647
Freddie fenders are cool

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goalieMN
Do they ride year-round?

Also, since it's my thread, I may as well hijack it and as if all of you fellow Minnesotans use studded tires or not? The guys I have talked to don't really think that they are needed for my type of commute.

So, anyone that rides the Greenway a lot in the winter, chime in and let me know whether or not I should go with something that would take large studded tires instead? A 29er single-speed could work as well I guess.
I'm too cheap to buy studded tires, so I just ride gingerly over the re-frozen slick spots. It changes my commute from 6 minutes to 10-12. The only other problem I have is what I call 'plow wash' on on MUP thats along side a county road. It takes the city an extra day to clear that off. Its like riding in wet concrete.
Old 02-19-08, 05:52 PM
wharfrat

Bikes: LeMond Etape, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is true..I have a One Way that has 35's on it now and there appears to be room for more.

Originally Posted by squeakywheel
I doubt any studded tires fit it. The Raleigh One-way is a similar bike that fits wider tires than the 9-2-5.
Old 02-19-08, 07:03 PM
K6-III

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just head on over to Hiawatha Cyclery and give the Redline 925 and Breezer Freedom some test rides. You may very well prefer the Breezer Freedom with its internal gear hub. Both are going for $350, so price shouldn't be a determining factor:

https://hiawathacyclery.com/blog/?p=328
Old 02-19-08, 07:26 PM
Scot_Gore
Minneapolis, MN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy Local

Another option worth a look, but slightly out of your stated price range would be the Surly Steamroller. FFF on the chainstay stands for Fatties Fit Fine, which would give you the studded option. Surly's about 20 miles south of your house.

I live in Bloomington and commute downtown so we share a couple of miles between Woodale and the Kennilworth. I'm mostly with your friends regarding the studs, you don't really need them for your commute. However, there will be days when they would be nice but maybe not needed. If you can swing a 2nd set of wheels to make the swap easy then have them around for those few days.
Old 02-19-08, 10:16 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Redline 925 for stormy weather, and I have been pleased with it. The standard gearing is a little steep for for this purpose though. (Fine for fair weather!)

The handle bars are a love 'em or hate 'em type thing. If you can test ride one, I would recommend it. I have room all around for larger tires, now that I look at mine, but I don't actually know if the size tire you are looking at would fit.

Lots of commentary on the single speed thread about this model- none of the "issues" talked about there with broken spokes and such were realized by me. Redline is jealous of their reputation of making a quality product, and I think they have fixed whatever problems those "early adopters" experienced.

I think it is a great bike for the price. Good luck and tailwinds!
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K6-III
Just head on over to Hiawatha Cyclery and give the Redline 925 and Breezer Freedom some test rides. You may very well prefer the Breezer Freedom with its internal gear hub. Both are going for $350, so price shouldn't be a determining factor:

https://hiawathacyclery.com/blog/?p=328
Thanks for the heads-up. That shop is right by my work.
Old 02-20-08, 02:51 PM
Whatsisname

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe they do.

I use studded tires when theres a ****load of snow and ice out, then I swap them back out and put my slicks back on, the studs are just so slow . This winter we haven't had too much snow so I haven't used the studs too much.

Do they ride year-round?

Old 02-22-08, 03:47 PM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I want that as a SS, would I have to build it myself? Surly doesn't have it on their website as a full bike.
Old 02-22-08, 04:42 PM
CrossChecker

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn Le Tour II and Schwinn Crosscut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minneapolis Commute

I ride from SLP to Downtown via the Cedar Lake Trail system everyday. I haven't ever even thought about studded tires this winter. I use a old hack of a bike, Schwinn Crosscut with 32 C Tires and they work great. Granted the trail is usually packed snow or completely plowed, but they work great.

If you are looking for a bike, I just purchased a crosscheck demo for $675 online. When I received it I could find a scratch on it. It's hard to believe it ever been assembled or ridden. I believe they have some left if you are interested.
Old 02-22-08, 09:59 PM
Scot_Gore
Minneapolis, MN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I want that as a SS, would I have to build it myself? Surly doesn't have it on their website as a full bike.
The complete comes with a flip/flop hub.

Hubs Surly Silver 32hole, 120mm O.L.D. fixed/free

Here's the link to the complete:
https://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller_comp.html
Old 02-23-08, 07:28 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also consider a Bianchi San Jose. I ride one in all weather and it's great. I can fit 35s (the biggest tires I've needed) on with fenders without any problems at all. Retail price is $599.99. I'm sure you could find one cheaper somewhere.
Old 02-23-08, 11:16 AM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
You might also consider a Bianchi San Jose. I ride one in all weather and it's great. I can fit 35s (the biggest tires I've needed) on with fenders without any problems at all. Retail price is $599.99. I'm sure you could find one cheaper somewhere.
Thanks for the heads-up. What fenders do you have on yours?