Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Customizing. Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Customizing. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 06:40 PM
spcialzdspksman
Hella Raw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Customizing=Awesomeness

So I just purchased my first road bike to commute: a used 2003 Specialized Allez Elite (in near perfect condition!) and I can't wait to ride her after she gets here in a few days.However, I am a little concerned with the blandness of the bike. Its in "brushed metal" so basically just gray frame with black handlebars, saddle rims, etc. I was thinking how I could make her more exciting, and was thinking I could add a little blue accent. So basically blue rims or tires, with blue/white handlebars and saddle. Then I tried to look for colored wheelsets and ending up only finding a few, and at pretty high prices. I'm actually on a pretty tight budget and looking for some suggestions. So far what I had in mind:
Alex DA28 wheelset $149
Hutchinson tire $18
Fizik or Deda handlebar tape $11-17
haven't found a saddle yet, Selle Italia was $100+
I'm open to any ideas, like color, components, etc and will probably post pics when I'm done!
Cheers, and happy riding!

Last edited by spcialzdspksman; 07-20-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-20-09, 07:28 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride it. seem what you want to change. then change that.

function > looks

ooh, I would upgrade the engine at least.
Old 07-20-09, 09:04 PM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I wouldn't worry about how she looks at first, just ride her. Everything else will follow.
Old 07-21-09, 12:10 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd wait to see what it looks like before I worried about it too much. The picture of the brushed metal on the Specialized site looks pretty sweet.

I also wouldn't buy a $150 wheelset. It may be a downgrade over what's on there now. New wheels are usually a good investment, but I think you'd be better off with something like Ultegra/Open Pros.

Saddles are also usually a good investment, but you might want to see what you get with the bike. I like Specialized Body Geometry saddles (which that comes with). If you're going to upgrade there, don't be afraid to spend $100+ to get a really good saddle, but this is definitely an area where functionality has it all over appearance. Fortunately, you can often get both.
Old 07-21-09, 12:17 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a budget? Electrical tape.

"It's a tool, not a jewel."
Old 07-22-09, 05:01 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I figure that if you're going to change parts for looks, you might as well get nicer stuff while you're at it. Tires, saddle, and bar tape alone can add a lot of color for not a lot of effort, and since those are all consumables anyway, you'd just be "replacing" them a little early.

I wouldn't get a saddle based only on looks, though. Some of them have enough color variety to match whatever scheme you're doing, but you can end up with one that makes you say, "It looks hot, but damn, I can't ride on it for more than ten minutes.."