Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Race Report Thread

Old 04-24-13, 03:22 PM
kyle!
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word. Technically it's a "Super Pista" but yeah. Say hey whenever.

Yeah thanks. I don't know what's going on with my back. Combo of stress and a somewhat recent car accident I think.
Old 04-25-13, 04:14 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a visit to a decent chiropracter might be worth your while. Back spasm sounds like something is not properly lining up, given you've recently had a car accident.
Old 04-27-13, 01:09 AM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first flying 200 ever, 12.18. pretty stoked. had my first night of friday night racing, started in the D's then to C's. won the scratch race and miss n out which were pretty fun. excited to start racing more track
Old 04-27-13, 06:56 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zitter
first flying 200 ever, 12.18. pretty stoked. had my first night of friday night racing, started in the D's then to C's. won the scratch race and miss n out which were pretty fun. excited to start racing more track
Awesome!

That's pretty damn fast.
Old 04-27-13, 10:00 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
excited to start racing more track
between that 200m number and what I've seen from your videos, you'll have a great time :-)
Congrats on the wins.
Old 04-27-13, 10:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
12.1 on one of your first 200s is very promising!

Congrats!
Old 04-27-13, 09:33 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Today I was in my first race ever.

Managed to podium the team sprint with Jandro and our friend Francis. Yay!

Then my performance steadily declined. I got 2nd in a kerin heat but didn't have any gas left for the next heat so I didn't make it to the finals.

I need to work on my endurance.
Old 04-29-13, 11:00 AM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, you were SUPER fast! As a real d I'm glad you moved up, lol!

my report from friday:

The burnout paceline was moto led, and turned into a complete cluster with 40+ people behind it. I only lasted 20 or so laps before I was tired of gaps opening and the field surging to try and catch back up.

First race was a 7 lap scratch race which was FAST! holy jebus was it fast! 3 riders went off the front on lap one (Zitter I'm looking at you!), and there was a good chasing back of 8+ riders a quarter lap behind. on lap 5 there was a surge and I had nothing for it, nor did a few others. That meant there were 3 packs, and I finished pretty strong. I've yet to see the standings but i think i finished in the middle of the field.

The next race was a 8 lap snowball race. One of my goals was to win a lap and get points. We grouped up, and the whistle blew in T1, so we were racing. By the back straight all the fast guys were down low and behind other people. I was on the top, at the front, and as I saw them start to shuffle, I made my move off the front. I made my surge and easily took the first lap and surprised the field. As I pulled up in T1 it was obvious that I was alone and should have made it a 2 lap effort . I coasted from T1 onto the back straight and tried to get back onto the pack. By that point the pack was splitting and I missed the fast group, and barely made it onto the tail of the slower group (I need to get more assertive about rejoining a group). While this meant I was not able to go for more points (not that I was fast enough), it also meant that I could do no worse than 8th. By the time it ended I think there were a few people that won several laps, so I think i did rather well. but I'm still kicking myself for pulling up and not going for 2 laps

The last race was a 18 lap points race with points every few laps (I honestly dont even remember how many anymore). But I was physically done, so I just wanted to finish. At the start 3 riders went of the front and the rest of us were very disorganized, but by lap 5 we had started taking single lap pulls and by lap 15 we had caught the rest. By this time I was done, and falling back so I'm not sure how horribly I did, but it was bad, lol.

Past that, I had a great time and cant wait for this friday
Old 04-29-13, 01:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Jaytron
Today I was in my first race ever.

Managed to podium the team sprint with Jandro and our friend Francis. Yay!

Then my performance steadily declined. I got 2nd in a kerin heat but didn't have any gas left for the next heat so I didn't make it to the finals.

I need to work on my endurance.
Congrats! Way to start your racing career

My first race night wasn't so spectacular

Originally Posted by ****egun2213
Yea, you were SUPER fast! As a real d I'm glad you moved up, lol!

my report from friday:

The burnout paceline was moto led, and turned into a complete cluster with 40+ people behind it. I only lasted 20 or so laps before I was tired of gaps opening and the field surging to try and catch back up.

First race was a 7 lap scratch race which was FAST! holy jebus was it fast! 3 riders went off the front on lap one (Zitter I'm looking at you!), and there was a good chasing back of 8+ riders a quarter lap behind. on lap 5 there was a surge and I had nothing for it, nor did a few others. That meant there were 3 packs, and I finished pretty strong. I've yet to see the standings but i think i finished in the middle of the field.

The next race was a 8 lap snowball race. One of my goals was to win a lap and get points. We grouped up, and the whistle blew in T1, so we were racing. By the back straight all the fast guys were down low and behind other people. I was on the top, at the front, and as I saw them start to shuffle, I made my move off the front. I made my surge and easily took the first lap and surprised the field. As I pulled up in T1 it was obvious that I was alone and should have made it a 2 lap effort . I coasted from T1 onto the back straight and tried to get back onto the pack. By that point the pack was splitting and I missed the fast group, and barely made it onto the tail of the slower group (I need to get more assertive about rejoining a group). While this meant I was not able to go for more points (not that I was fast enough), it also meant that I could do no worse than 8th. By the time it ended I think there were a few people that won several laps, so I think i did rather well. but I'm still kicking myself for pulling up and not going for 2 laps

The last race was a 18 lap points race with points every few laps (I honestly dont even remember how many anymore). But I was physically done, so I just wanted to finish. At the start 3 riders went of the front and the rest of us were very disorganized, but by lap 5 we had started taking single lap pulls and by lap 15 we had caught the rest. By this time I was done, and falling back so I'm not sure how horribly I did, but it was bad, lol.

Past that, I had a great time and cant wait for this friday
Early season racing is always tough for me.
Old 04-29-13, 02:39 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Originally Posted by carleton
Congrats! Way to start your racing career

My first race night wasn't so spectacular

Thanks!

Looks like the Scratch race this past Saturday was much longer than the usual weekly race length. Mine was 18 laps (I blew up). I think normally they're around 10. Maybe my endurance isn't as bad as it seems.
Old 04-29-13, 04:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks!

Looks like the Scratch race this past Saturday was much longer than the usual weekly race length. Mine was 18 laps (I blew up). I think normally they're around 10. Maybe my endurance isn't as bad as it seems.
I'm painting in broad strokes here:

As the saying goes, "You can't win 'em all." This is particularly true in track racing being that the events range from less than a minute to 20 minutes or more. Unless you are particularly talented, you won't do well in everything.

In general, beginner racing is all about:
- Learning bike handling in a pack at 80-100% effort (note that I didn't mention any speed)
- Learning to draft.
- Learning about your threshold and how to stay under it...and when to stragegically go above it.
- Learning to think on the bike (Points, Scratch, Match Sprints)
- Learning what talents you may have already (sprint, endurance, bike handling, thinking)
- Learning where you have room for improvement. (Identifying these are a good thing)
- Learning when and when not to attack.
- Learning when and when not to chase an attack.
- Learning about your opponents
- Learning the "flow" of the race.
- Learning where (and where not) to stick your nose in a pack.
- Learning that touching a guy's shoulders at +35MPH is not a big deal.
- Learning to feel when something is about to happen and feeling when something is happening behind you without even looking. Little things like the hearing the change in pitch (sound) of a guy's chain (reflecting off of the boards) letting you know that he's making a move to come around you.

As I've mentioned in another thread, there are more ways to lose a race than there are to winning. Don't do any of the things that will cause you to lose and you'll find yourself in a position to win
Old 04-29-13, 04:40 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't do any of the things that will cause you to lose and you'll find yourself in a position to win
+1

This carries over to all racing disciplines.
Old 04-29-13, 09:30 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Once again, dropping the sage advice.

I feel like the "Dear Carleton" thread should just be moved to the track forum.
Old 04-30-13, 08:21 AM
spazegun2213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early season racing is always tough for me.
Agreed, I'm noticing that I'm not as fit as some of the other guys and that is a serious problem. I'm also seriously limiting myself running a TINY gear, so this week I think I'm going to put on a big boy gear (90") and see how I do.

Thanks!

Its hard to train for something and then race it when its nearly 80% longer. I've started realizing I'll never be the person off the front early in those races, rather if I have any chance its at the end when the second pack is catching the break aways.
Old 05-01-13, 02:40 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pre-race report...

Yo Carleton, Tyler Farrar will be at Marymoor racing the first "pre-season" night... he's been motorpacing sprints out there a few times this last week. In case you want to come sprint, just sayin'

It's looking likely that I'll actually be headed to Montana tomorrow morning and will miss it - but head's up to anyone in the area.

Last edited by Hida Yanra; 05-01-13 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added bits.
Old 05-01-13, 04:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Pre-race report...

Yo Carleton, Tyler Farrar will be at Marymoor racing the first "pre-season" night... he's been motorpacing sprints out there a few times this last week. In case you want to come sprint, just sayin'

It's looking likely that I'll actually be headed to Montana tomorrow morning and will miss it - but head's up to anyone in the area.
Thanks for the notice! I can't make it today, but maybe some other time.
Old 05-01-13, 08:11 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
today
Friday.
Old 05-01-13, 09:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Friday.
Ah! We are racing here both Thursday and Friday, though.
Old 05-02-13, 09:29 AM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He was up at burnaby for the Four-day. He's much smoother on the track than on the road. It just looks more elegant for some reason.
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
Old 05-02-13, 02:46 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kissena Spring Series Week 2

Okay, here’s my review from Kissena (Old Bumpy) 400m Outdoor track, No Lights.
Half the size from last week so we had about 30 or so riders in various categories but that was better for all of us.
I’m a Cat 4, 55yo, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year track chose the 40+ Masters 1-4 and then I did a 4/5 Point-a-lap race.

We had small group and I was the noob for sure
3/4 or are 3's, I think all my group were 4's with many years of track experience.

First race was a 3 lap scratch (nice when you’re old) and I was with the group throughout but slipped off when the bell rang,
I just reacted a tad slowly but that’s all it takes, but NOT far from the 3rd place rider. Turned the crank well kept a safe line and was hungry for points.

Second Race I wanted something and figured this could be my time.
5 Lap Points lap, Winner gets points only, except last lap 1st and 2nd get points.
I again, missed the sprint, but by a tad and took it a bit up track on turn 1-2. I really was not expecting the group to slow done, but oddly they did..
They slowed after the 1st lap and all sat low after lap 1 turn 2 and I could not figure what was happening as I was 3 lengths back coming on the straight and I said NOW NOW NOW.
I turned on my after burners and just flew by them as if they stood still and took the lap (yeah me). Hell if I could do this once and I was cranking it was time for a re-run, guess what… I took lap 3 but I was starting to get cooked. Hey I’m still a big boy at 210 down from 220 over the past 6 weeks, hoping to drop another 5-10 still.
I decided to back off and just regroup my body, which was really a mistake. If I had mind over matter I really could have taken the 4th, maybe not
but I should have tried. Overall 2nd Place in that race. If I took the lap or would have come in 2nd in the 5th lap I would have won the points and 1st in the race.

They were talking about my move on lap 2 all night, lol. Geez , where’s the video when you need it.

Chariot Race-- Very Disappointed, really thought I could get 3rd, maybe 2nd, maybe 1st if the other guys made a right turn.
My holder was experienced, but needs to hit the gym (way too skinny). My push off was NON-EXISTANT and I saw these guys gaining a full length from the get go. I was cranking out of the saddle for about 200m, but no way could I catch them. This will improve over time. Oh yeah, next Time I will get a big boy to assist as holder.

Decided to do the 4/5 Points-a- lap race which was 9 laps, there were 2 groups of 9-10 racers.
Points were 5-3-2-1 for each of the sprints.

I stuck to the front on the start and stayed high to avoid getting blocked in low (new strategy) which means a longer race and can get some advantage of the banking , sadly shallow as it is.
I took 3rd on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Sprint and 4th on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Sprint so I came in 4th overall in the race and 4th in Omnium points in 4/5, and sadly 4th in the Masters.
If I had gotten another point in the Masters I would have been 3rd.

Overall, pretty happy and need to keep at it.
I was so tired, but that's fine.
I think the weight loss has helped a bit. I am a pretty powerful rider and need to get those fast twitch muscles moving.
Most important is that I am much more confident and need to take more chances and push myself closer to the max as possible.

Thinking that perhaps I need stiffer wheels as I am a big boy, wonder if this factors in a bit.

In any case once the train is moving, get off MY TRACK.

El Diablo Barba Gris
"The Grey Beard Devil"
Old 05-06-13, 01:03 PM
spazegun2213

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last friday I raced again at the velodrome. It had been a really bad week at work for me, so I was just hoping to survive the races. I had finally put on the 50t ring to move up to a 90" gear. Both the work and the new gear concerned me, but wth, i needed to have some fun. I had the same 3 goals 1) Don't be last, 2) get some points and 3) don't crash. Nearly 25 people showed up for the D's (yup, still in the slow group)

The first race was a 7 lap points race, and I ended up as the 3rd guy in a 3 person break away with 2 to go. The #1 guy destroyed me, but I ended up sprinting around the #2 guy, which surprised me. I was able to really keep the MPH up with the 50t, but it did take me a little longer actually get going.

The 2nd race was a points race, and I managed to grab 1 point in the middle of the race. It was much easier for me to pull up and then get back on the pack this week. I guess all that practicing is pay off finally. With the point in hand and my finish, it was good enough for 6th. I was happy that I could stay with the pack after the sprints, and finish strong(ish).

The last race was an 18 points race with points going 5,3,2,1 every 6 laps. I didnt even try for the first sprint, thinking I'd have my chance on the last lap if I stayed back and worked with the pack. Sure enough the pack was fast enough that the sprinters for the first points nearly dropped off the back. Then a funny thing happened... the pack started to split. I guess everyone was tired from the first 2 races, and I decided to stay with the fast group. By lap 7 there were only a few of us, and I figured "plans change" as I sprinted for points. I managed to grab 2 points and then as I was moving up the track my pedal felt funny... like my cleat had become loose. I managed another lap before the field came by and I thought I could still finish.... That is about the time the non drive side of the crank came off. I looked down as it struck the cement with a "BANG" and slid down the track. WTF?! did that just happen?!

Turns out the Ominums I use have a problem with the bolt that secures the crank either backing out, or stripping. Mine was stripped and I DNF'd.... damn, my first time finishing dead last, and I even had points!!!! oh well. I dropped the bike off at the LBS the next day and they fixed it in a few hours. Live and learn folks! I guess my 2 wheeled italian is a lot like others... they need constant maintenance. Looks like I'll be torquing that bolt every time I take the bike to the track. Can anyone recommend a good set of tools that will not break the bank?
Old 05-08-13, 11:00 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

First Wednesday Night Racing session for me.

Scratch race (10 laps)- Got boxed in, finished ~4th? Learned that I need to advance my position before the bell lap if I'm going for the sprint finish.

Win n out- Won it! YAY! (yeah yeah, I know, it's just Cat 5 )
Miss n out- 5th~6th Bad race awareness on my part, didn't even know it was time to sprint.. I was happy being 3rd wheel like the whole race, then when I looked back to see how many people were left, it was too late and I was being pulled off because the last 2 guys sprinted over me. Dumb play on my part. Live and learn.
36 lap points- No idea what I finished. I'm not an enduro guy, **** hurt. Great training though.
Old 05-11-13, 08:51 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First night of track racing in two years... next week will be the second.

I've taken the last month pretty well completely off the bike, had some good efforts and decent results last night but not what I was looking for.
As someone said, "Ride a safe wheel, be a safe wheel"
Got that done, had some nice team tactics w/ a new teammate, got some points and when our sponsor unexpectedly showed up trackside we rode in ways to ensure his name got called on the intercom a bunch - he knew it and loved it.

My one grumble: I may never understand why racers crash the sprinter's lane, and then slow down Kept happening all night long, the sprinter's lane was the #1 best place to be if you wanted to never move up and get pinned/shuffled to the back.
Old 05-11-13, 09:02 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

First night of track racing in two years... next week will be the second.

I've taken the last month pretty well completely off the bike, had some good efforts and decent results last night but not what I was looking for.
As someone said, "Ride a safe wheel, be a safe wheel"
Got that done, had some nice team tactics w/ a new teammate, got some points and when our sponsor unexpectedly showed up trackside we rode in ways to ensure his name got called on the intercom a bunch - he knew it and loved it.

My one grumble: I may never understand why racers crash the sprinter's lane, and then slow down Kept happening all night long, the sprinter's lane was the #1 best place to be if you wanted to never move up and get pinned/shuffled to the back.
I'm in the 5's and sometimes NOBODY will take the pole lane. Everyone will sit up above the red line because nobody wants to pull. A little frustrating.
Old 05-11-13, 09:17 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unless the pace is really jamming, the sprinters lane is a pretty poor place to be. Attacks come from over the top usually.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.